Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Custom Login with htaccess?

Custom Login with htaccess?
KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2004, 12:40 PM

I'm working on a site with a directory that is protected with htaccess. I'd like to create a custom login page instead of relying on the browser default. Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm working in straight HTML and I've got a little scripted form that creates the 'http://user:[email protected]/secure' link, but this won't work. Is this a limitation of htaccess or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2004, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by KeyLimePi:
I'm working on a site with a directory that is protected with htaccess. I'd like to create a custom login page instead of relying on the browser default. Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm working in straight HTML and I've got a little scripted form that creates the 'http://user[email protected]/secure' link, but this won't work. Is this a limitation of htaccess or am I just doing something wrong?
This is a limitation of Basic HTTP Authentication, I'm afraid. The only way around it is to use something else.

What is it about .htaccess that appeals? If you just want to be able to use the htpasswd file for your passwords, then you can cheat by using a login script which parses out the .htpasswd file as its user database but uses some other scheme as the actual authentication method. If you want to actually control access using Apache's configuration, however, you're pretty much out of luck. Similarly, if you can't use any server-side scripting then you're out of luck.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2004, 02:32 PM

What about making a logging page. Then have the user click the a button/link to log on that will take them to the protected directory and that will request the username/password. my 2c.

KeyLimePi  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2004, 10:02 AM

Well, thanks for the info. I'm using htaccess because 1) it's easy to manage with my host and 2) it's about all my limited skills can handle. I've got to learn some PHP one of these days.

And basically nica I'm doing just what you suggested. I have a login page with a link to the secure stuff, but I was hoping to have a form right on the page for the name/password.

At the company where I work your browser prompts you for your employee ID/password every time you try to access the web outside our intranet. This is no problem, but when employees hit other secure sites and get the same prompt, their first instinct is to enter their employee ID/password (I get a lot of calls about this). I just wanted to make my login look different that so it might elminate confusion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules