Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pretty sure my 12" PB is dead, but...

Pretty sure my 12" PB is dead, but...
KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2007, 05:46 PM

Okay, I've resigned myself to the idea that my 1GZ 12" Powerbook is dead, but I just thought I'd float this out there to see if anyone has any ideas before I cannibalize it for parts.

When I press the power button, I get the start up chime and I can hear/feel the HD spinning, but it never gets any farther than that. Never even a flicker on the screen. They only way I can tell if it is still 'on' is because if I hit the caps lock key it illuminates, and stays illuminated until I hold down the power button. Won't sleep if I close it although it does shut itself down after a while of being closed.

At first I thought maybe my screen just died, but I've tried booting into TargetDisk mode and then plugging it into my G5. This gives me no results, so I'm guessing that it never boots into TD mode the same way the full OS won't boot.

Things I've tried. Well, I tried booting from an OS X CD, but that didn't work (liked to never got it out again). I've tried all sorts of shortcut keys for zapping the PRAM or booting into safemode or whatever. Nada. I'd taken out the RAMM and reseated it. Still nothing.

I sort of figure the motherboard is shot, except I wouldn't think I'd get the chime if that was the case. Would I?

I dunno. Like I said, I've been futzing with it a couple weeks now and I'm about ready to give it last rights. I can't afford a new Macbook right now so if you've got any suggestions let me know.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Aug 13, 2007, 06:09 PM

Given the lack of success in Target Disk mode, doesn't look good. I'm sure you've already reset the PMU/PRAM at this point.

Could try an external monitor just to make doubly sure that a bad LCD isn't your main problem. Could also try taking out the hard drive. On much older Macs, I've had problems where bad hard drives caused hanging on boot (although in those cases, the screen usually did power up, just never made it to the happy Mac or question mark stage). And of course, reseating the RAM...

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2007, 06:24 PM

It sounds like perhaps the HD is dead. Do you have an external firewire HD with OS installed that you could try booting off?

About the OS disk: was that a CD or DVD and what Mac is it for (did it come from the 12" or from some other Mac?) Did you try a universal OS X install disk?

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2007, 07:13 PM

HD might be dead. Easy to diagnose/fix.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2007, 10:01 PM

I don't want to rub salt into the wound, but the lack of response in Target Disk Mode is really not good. A bad hard drive will not prevent the PB from booting in TDM.

KeyLimePi  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2007, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the input. I think it confirms what I thought/feared. I think it's pretty much a goner.

I did put an 80GB HD in it about a year and a half ago. Maybe I can pull that out and replace it with the 40GB one in my Apple TV!

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2007, 09:21 PM

It happened to me early this year and it was the same model as yours, I did replace the HD with 120 GB and now it works like a charm. I was once intend to replace with MBP but budget was an issue so I took the cheaper way and it was worth it.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2007, 10:37 PM

I had a situation with my Cube last year where it wouldn't boot from ANYTHING with a bad HD in it. Not from CD or FW drive or FW target disk mode. As soon as I pulled the ribbon from the failed drive, it'd boot fine, so I wouldn't rule out it being the drive at all. Also, when the motherboard in my kid's iBook G4 went south, it'd still boot in FW target disk mode, even tough it as kernel panicking on internal/external/CD.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules