Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Installing Operating Systems

Installing Operating Systems
xmishx
May 24, 2002, 03:23 AM

I have a Power Computing Power Center Pro 240. I was having all kinds of problems with hangs and freezes without rhyme or reason. Well, I think I found the problem to be the install of Quick Draw. After using the original system disk that came with the computer (OS 7.6) and not installing QD, the computer seems to be running well. I then upgraded straight to OS 8.6. So far so good.

Now, I'd love to eventually get to 9.1, but now here is another problem. The original system disk requires a initialization via FWB which is on that disk and will only format to standard HFS. I beleive I need HFS+ to install 9.1.

My question is, can I start from scratch, initialize with and format using Drive Setup on the OS 9 disk without problems. A step by step would really be appreciated. I'd love to get this computer going as it all started with the post I made about the Extreme 8500.

Thanks a bunch,

X

saxman
May 25, 2002, 07:49 AM

Hi there

I don't think you need to be formatted HFS+ to run 9.1. I have a 5500 which is running 9.1 just fine under standard format.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Scotty
NZ

Classic 4/40
LC575 36/330
PB 5300c 64/750
PB 1400c 32/1GB
PM 5500/250 AIO 128/4 "blackmac"
iMac original G3 233 288/6
Power Mac G4 400 768/10+18
iMac G5 2.0 17" 1GB/180GB

I told my Dad that I wanted to be a musician when I grew up, and he said "Son, you can't have it both ways."

xmishx  (op)
May 25, 2002, 03:40 PM

I'm not one to document each procedure I work on, so I cannot explain it, but now 9.1 is on the machine on a HFS+ formatted drive. One week ago I could not get anything loaded correctly and now it seems to be usable. I still get frequent freezes in Exploror even with more memory allocated to it, but for now, it is workable.

Thanks for your input.

X

Forum Links
Forum Rules