Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2006 Mac Pro with a dying ODD - what should I get as a replacement?

2006 Mac Pro with a dying ODD - what should I get as a replacement?
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2024, 06:04 PM

This thing's ODD is dying a slow and painful death - the eject mechanism seems to be borked completely, and it's a bit noisy when reading discs.

It's IDE, and I know Apple was picky about drive compatibility. What should I get to replace this drive? Is there a particular make/model known for its longevity? This will pretty much just be to image discs as ISOs and DMGs.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 18, 2024, 07:39 PM

I had good luck with Pioneer ODDs. Recall the usual incompatibility was about booting. So it probably doesn't matter much for reading purposes.

You could also go the USB ODD route. Or steal a SATA connection from an unused HD bay.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2024, 10:11 AM

The drive I have is Pioneer. Any thoughts on what I might do to make it behave? Should I dismantle it and replace anything?

I can hear gears moving when it tries to eject a disc, but the tray just does not move. If I manually eject the tray with a paperclip and push it back in, the drive doesn't even pick up that there's a disc present. I have to push it in until the mechanism picks it up and closes the tray fully, which doesn't always happen.

I've had sketchy drives where I have to apply a little pressure to the tray to get it to open, but that doens't work with this guy. The only way to open it at the moment is with a paperclip.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 19, 2024, 01:02 PM

Have fun. Could be sensors going, or broken plastic gearing. Not sure about getting replacements for either.

I'd just replace it. But checking prices shows ODDs have gone up a bit. I remember them being in the $20-40 range, last time I needed one.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2024, 02:27 PM

I think I'm just going to do the SATA route, the more I think about it. IDE is just so effing slow compared to SATA.

Damn kids don't appreciate their bandwidth these days.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 19, 2024, 02:43 PM

I don't recall if ATAPI is supported on the SATA connectors. Better check that before ordering. Or you'll need an adapter IDE -> SATA that supports ATAPI. Or a USB adapter ... that supports ATAPI.

Forum Links
Forum Rules