Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Pb's Up To 1.5 Ghz!

New Pb's Up To 1.5 Ghz! (Page 3)
chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 12:42 AM

That's a 60GB 7200RPM drive.
Oops. You're right. I typed it too fast. And in my opinion the Alienware machines don't count. They are not mainstream computers at mainstream prices like Apple's. Nor do they have the battery life.

Chris

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 12:45 AM

Apple is throwing us a bone, hoping these models will keep us happy until they can get a G5 out the door.
Actually, the G5 itself is just a stopgap until the G6 arrives. It all depends upon your point of view.

Chris

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2004, 05:05 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
I'm currently awaiting delivery on a Dell Latitude D800 - with a 15.4" screen at 1920x1200! Talk about high DPI.
Wow, that's 147dpi. Running Panther you'd probably need eye surgery within two weeks. Thank God Dell doesn't offer OS X.

Originally posted by Mr. Bob:
I am not sure where this idea comes from that higher resolution is bad. I mean, you can always make things bigger "OSX does have that ability, right???. I just know that I don�t want to spend mucho $$$ to get a fuzzy screen. I have been using 1600x1200 for 2 years now, and it looks just great. Crisp colors, no jaggies, nothing. For someone who does work on graphics, high resolution is better.
You can't scale fonts and GUI widgets in OS X. If you display Panther with 150dpi you will hardly be able to read the menu items without a microscope.

If Apple actually does start selling >110dpi notebooks, it should be BTO IMHO. Many people's eyes can't stand such resolutions and therefore they certainly wouldn't want to pay lots of additional $$$ for a "worse" screen. But BTO is always a good thing, makes everybody happy.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2004, 01:14 PM

Nice update!

The new 17" with 5400 and 128 is a beauty. G5, G smive, These are nice mobile chipped systems. Resolution is perfect where it is. Adding AE stock was a nice move. 12" ers seem more like "power" books now. Kudos Apple!

Only negatives I see are
Still gouging SD 15" users with 2x256
CTOing will block you from returning it, you'll be required to repair it always. So these 64 VRAM and 5400 upgrades are great unless something is wrong from the git go.
Hey, where's the mini iPod built-in dock for the 17". JK

I sold my 15" AL and bought a refurb (like new) 17" rev A in January for more screen space. They dropped the refurb prices $200 so I look at it as paying $100 a month rent hehe. It still gracefully does everthing I need it to do but one with deep pockets (not I) would be tempted to hop on the update.

The lastest update is a good "swan song" for G4s in powerbooks . . . we hope.
( Last edited by Crusoe; Apr 20, 2004 at 03:40 PM. )
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Forum Links
Forum Rules