Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9 and G3 Upgrade cards?

OS9 and G3 Upgrade cards?
Kurpita
Sep 30, 1999, 08:40 AM

Does anyone know if OS9 will work on machines
that have been upgraded with G3 cards?

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 1999, 09:21 AM

According to information on AppleInsider and their forum discussions, Nubus Macs have to boot from Mac OS 9 to install onto system.

Any system that can run 8.5 should. But clones may be an issue - unsure.

Then there are the different upgrade cards which means check with Sonnet, Newer, etc and I imagine some will need to provide driver updates.

And then FWB HDT may need to be updated if there are any changes to HD driver - in fact I have never seen a system update, even 7.5 to 7.53, that did not require such an update, or 6.05 to 6.07.

New adopters of new technology and operating systems are on the "bleeding edge" remember.

Greg

Jose Rua
Oct 1, 1999, 11:01 AM

Yes, I have a 20th Anniversary Macintosh, with a Crescento G3 card OS9.9f2 and work fine

------------------
http://www.joserua.com

Hellgo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 1999, 11:25 AM

Mac OS 9 currently does not work on Newer Trchnology's G3 upgrades for 6110,7100,8100. I tried installing OS 9 and it would not work with the maxpower exstension enabled. I wrote to Newer and they told me that currently the upgrades will not work with OS 9, but they are working on a fix.

Forum Links
Forum Rules