Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Who's going back to Panther?

Who's going back to Panther?
TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2005, 01:44 PM

Does anyone with Tiger considering going back to Panther to escape all the bugs in Tiger? I've been thinking of going backward and starting over in Panther... the thing is... Panther just WORKED... and Tiger F-ed everything up.

So who here is thinking of... or has already moved back to Panther?

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 01:50 PM

Panther.....I went back to counting beads!
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2005, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kristoff
Panther.....I went back to counting beads!
An abacus?
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2005, 02:15 PM

Tiger works too well to go back to Panther. 10.3.9 was buggy. Might as well go back to Jaguar. That was solid.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2005, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Tiger works too well to go back to Panther. 10.3.9 was buggy. Might as well go back to Jaguar. That was solid.
Jaguar rocked! I would go back to Jaguar but, my PowerBook is too new and doesn't support it. Actually I like Panther a LOT better than Jaguar... it took some getting used to but, I like Panther better... Tiger is Okay but, I still don't think it's ready enough.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2005, 02:28 PM

Things seem pretty solid now with the 10.4.2 update.

I've kept the production machines at work on 10.3.9 until I'm absolutely sure that we can do everything in Tiger without problems - they are used day-in, day-out for tight deadline production work so we can't afford the downtime if something screws up. With 10.4.2 I think we're ready to move over; Tiger seems rock-solid to me now.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2005, 02:35 PM

I'm cool with Tiger. Bugs? YES Worth downgrading? NO.

IMHO.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2005, 02:38 PM

I'll bet a beer Maxximo trolls in this thread ... unless he's been banned.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2005, 02:40 PM

Spaz, you do post some crap..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2005, 02:57 PM

i am right now upgranding from 10.2.8 to 10.4.0

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2005, 03:01 PM

I tend to look ahead...not backwards.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2005, 03:02 PM

I'm trying to think of something that worked in Panther that does not work in Tiger, and I'm coming up blank.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Thorzdad
Jul 19, 2005, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I'm trying to think of something that worked in Panther that does not work in Tiger, and I'm coming up blank.
Well, there is that interesting temp-file glitch with IllustratorCS in Tiger. There is a work-around, but no fix, yet.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2005, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad
Well, there is that interesting temp-file glitch with IllustratorCS in Tiger. There is a work-around, but no fix, yet.
I haven't had ANY .tmp files show up after I installed 10.4.2. I doubt it's a huge coincidence... I used to get at least 2 or 3 a day and now I don't get any... 10.4.2 seemed to have fixed this for me.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
I tend to look ahead...not backwards.
I tend to look backwards and say "good riddance"

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2005, 03:37 PM

Some of the new subtle features and refinements in Tiger make me not want to go back to Panther. It's also noticeably faster than Panther as well.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Fusion
Senior User
Jul 19, 2005, 03:43 PM

I already talked to you about this, but I tried going back and found that I missed the little things in Tiger. Not thing big features, but the little things I did miss. I would stay with Tiger. It does have some bugs, but it is still a productive OS. Updates will come.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2005, 03:43 PM

I think Tiger is slower than Panther.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2005, 03:47 PM

Dude, 8.6 is rock solid and rules. I'll settle for Tiger, but man, that 8.6. Now there was an OS . . .

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 03:54 PM

With 10.4.2 out, I think I'm ready to trash my Panther partition and reclaim some needed disk space. I had copied over all my data and had left the 10.3.9 parition sitting there "just in case", but I've only needed to boot into 10.3 once since I've upgraded and I don't even remember why.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 19, 2005, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
I think Tiger is slower than Panther.
Not even close...

Tiger on my machines FLY compared to Panther.

inkhead
Senior User
Jul 19, 2005, 04:21 PM

You think that's bad, try all the .TMP files that Acrobat 7 creates and leaves......

I haven't had ANY .tmp files show up after I installed 10.4.2. I doubt it's a huge coincidence... I used to get at least 2 or 3 a day and now I don't get any... 10.4.2 seemed to have fixed this for me.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 05:30 PM

TO THE WOODS, EVERYONE....LET'S GIVE UP OUR COMPUTERS AND HEAD FOR THE WOODS!

(Abaci are allowed)
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

loki74
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 05:45 PM

lol.

Well I'm just not going to upgrade right away... there are a lot of things that I see in there that I don't need... or want.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2005, 03:23 PM

I just installed my new 80GB 5400rpm Western Digital hard drive in my PowerBook G4 and I'm really going to install Panther on it. If I feel the need to come back to Tiger... if I'm having a hard time in Panther and I miss Tiger for some reason... I could always upgrade (I DID pay for Tiger afterall).

You know... to be honest... Panther never really gave me any trouble and I hardly ever use Dashboard and Spotlight is something I can live without (I keep my files pretty organized and search by name only usually anyways)

Panther 10.3.9 was supreme.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2005, 06:28 PM

Panther 10.3.9 was supreme.
10.3.9 was buggy as hell. Safari problems, Java problems, etc. You are happy with Panther, stick with Panther. But to say that Panther is a better OS than Tiger is laughable.

jay3ld
Senior User
Jul 20, 2005, 06:46 PM

to be it seems a balance of yes and nos

well untill i see a good enough count of yes my macs wont see a newer version.
my 10.3.9 seems stable. nothing crashes. and the way you guys talk about panther and tiger both being unstable im just staying put.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2005, 07:03 PM

Obviously, people with troubles are more likely to post than people saying: Nope, no problems. All is fine.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2005, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
I'll bet a beer mAxximo trolls in this thread ... unless he's been banned.
You trolled first. Jaguar was “solid”???? Please...

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2005, 12:05 AM

OS X Leopard is rock-solid for me, even though it's still in alpha stage.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2005, 12:08 AM

I'm going back to System 6.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

glyph
Jul 21, 2005, 01:00 AM

I went back to Panther. Spaz is right - it just works. I'll say this about Tiger - It did boot-up and shut-down faster.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Jul 21, 2005, 02:11 AM

the 'find' part of the finder needs refinement in tiger , that's the only thing i dislike about it

apart from that it's really rather good

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2005, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
I'm going back to System 6.

Soon as I dig out my 6.0.3 floppies this whole OS X thing is going bye bye.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 06:56 AM

I think you've made it clear to us that you don't know how to use your mac or that your hardware is broken. Why keep making threads about it?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2005, 06:58 AM

Tiger seems solid enough for me, I have not incurred any of the problems that some have reported here. To be honest I did not notice too much of a speed gain (or loss) but it has been a while since I upgraded so it could have been there I just got used to the current speed.

On the other hand, I have not noticed features that would keep me tied to Tiger, spotlight is ok, dashboard is ok (resource hog though) and overall the OS is just ok imho. I realize that its only going to get better and tiger is the future plus most of the changes were under the hood, so there's no regrets

Peace
Mike

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 07:38 AM

I just upgraded my fifth (out of 7) machines to 10.4 yesterday. The Cube is on its last legs, so I won't bother, and the iMac Rev C has no Firewire, and no DVD drive, so it stays 10.3. Everything else is humming along.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2005, 07:40 AM

I Love OS9. I use it on two Macs at Home, also I Like a lot Tiger too, but for Professional workflow I feel more confortable using OS9, so to be honest I just use Tiger for Internet Surf, and some jobs, I feel that if you don't have internet service you will never notice the wonders of Tiger, without internet its some kind of obsolete, for real... but I'm happy with both systems and I use them every day. Right now I'm using OS9.
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2005, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
I think you've made it clear to us that you don't know how to use your mac or that your hardware is broken. Why keep making threads about it?
I do know how to use a Mac... I've been using them for 10 years now and I am quite familiar with Mac OS and Mac OS X and I don't just surf the web and chat. I am much more involved than that... who are you to say I don't know how to use a Mac?

Maybe I'm having problems with Tiger because I use a Mac too much for too many things so I see a lot more bugs than average people do... I should make a list of all the things that bother me about Tiger but, I just haven't gotten around to it.

And by the way... my computer was broken but, that's not source of the Tiger problems... I installed a new Hard Drive yesterday in my PowerBook and now it's running good again.

smithz4096
Jul 21, 2005, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by I WAS the One
I Love OS9. I use it on two Macs at Home, also I Like a lot Tiger too, but for Professional workflow I feel more confortable using OS9
I'm roughly doing it the same way. The biggest plus in OS X for me is the internet-experience. Classic begins to suck too hard (Explorer is just awful). Besides that everything works great for me in 9, esp. traditional graphic design jobs and digital audio. Everything works perfectly because it was refined over the years.

Nowadays I just care about the app that work best for me. If this app runs in 9 then i'm using 9.
Simple as that. I'm tired of this updating-carousel that mostly leads nowhere.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 08:06 AM

Spotlight is causing me so many problems I've had to turn it off, and Dashboard has been pretty useless to me. If I really needed search functionality I think I would go back to Panther. I had very few problems with 10.3.9.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2005, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by wataru
Spotlight is causing me so many problems I've had to turn it off, and Dashboard has been pretty useless to me. If I really needed search functionality I think I would go back to Panther. I had very few problems with 10.3.9.
Spotlight has been pretty flaky to me... I miss just the normal CMD-F find window. It was so easy to use and it was fast cause it only searched by name and it was also faster because it wasn't searching as you typed... it just found what you searched for... kind of like old Sherlock 2.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2005, 10:14 AM

I don't just surf the web and chat. I am much more involved than that...
Let's see. Like making crappy music and taking silly pics?

People that use their Macs to make money have a right to complain when something gets broken. If you just like to mess around, you can wait for it to get fixed. I can think of dozen Tiger bugs off the top of head, but they're small non-important stuff that I would never bring up on a message board. They don't interfere with the way I make my money.

In other words, if a Tiger bug bothers you that much then you have bigger problems.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 11:15 AM

Spotlight has been pretty flaky to me... I miss just the normal CMD-F find window. It was so easy to use and it was fast cause it only searched by name and it was also faster because it wasn't searching as you typed... it just found what you searched for... kind of like old Sherlock 2.
I would like to go back to the "old" way of type it all, then hit "enter" to activate the beginning of the search. Having the command+f window bog down mid-typing is annoying. I've found though, that if you just keep typing, it does take the keystrokes-- it just takes maybe 10 secs for them to display.

This is not enough to send me scrambling back to 10.3, though.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2005, 12:14 PM

Is there anything wrong with liking to use my OS in COMFORT whether I'm making money or not. I've got EVERY right to speak my mind... and so do you.

Just because I like Panther better does not mean that others do NOT like Tiger. Tiger's a pretty good OS but, I was happier with Panther and I was wondering what other people's opinions were on this. I got all of your opinions and I don't regret starting this thread.

However I don't like your comment about making crappy music and taking silly pics. For one, I like the music I make and I take some pretty cool photos... actually why do you care what I use the OS for? I shouldn't have to try and explain what I do... I just know Panther worked great for what I did and Tiger forced me to change some of my habits that I didn't want to change.

Big deal right? Maybe to you, tiny bugs are no big deal and who cares if you're not making money... it's not about making money... it's called "I'm the customer who paid for Mac OS X 10.4" why aren't my complaints any different from those "making money" people?

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2005, 12:20 PM

Oh and another thing:

I use Mac OS X 10.4 at work 5 days a week for 8 hours a day at a job where I "make money". I run into more problems with 10.4 at work than I do at home because my work activities are more intense than the stuff I do at home. Does this make me qualify to complain?
( Last edited by TheSpaz; Jul 21, 2005 at 12:46 PM. )

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2005, 01:33 PM

Spaz, it sounds so much like you are complaining to complain. Not complaining to seek solutions to some of the troubles you had.

You also have sounded like a noob in many posts, which led many of us to believe that you are new to OS X. Did you ever try a reinstall? Did you do an archive & install? Upgrade?

Tiger has some bugs but so did Panther, even 10.3.9. You say it was rock solid, I said I had problems with 10.3.9 (the Safari bug was particularly painful). I've found Tiger, even 10.4.0 to the best iteration of OSX, you had problems.

Different people have different results. So, you should try and resolve the Tiger issues or be happy with 10.3.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2005, 03:38 PM

I erased and installed Tiger on both of my Macs. I'm not a noob and I didn't realize I was sounding like a noob... I apologize. I know that YOU love Tiger and it runs PERFECT on all of your Macs and every Mac you've ever used but, that's just not the case with me. To me... some of the smaller things bug me that most people may never notice or just shrug off... I'm just picky I guess... I liked Panther... I like Tiger... I just think that life was a little bit easier in Panther but, I'm not all the way against Tiger... it just needs a little more work.

That being said.. maybe I'll stick with it a little longer and see how it works out.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2005, 08:51 PM

I've decided to have a detente with Tiger. I was thinking of buying the family pack and upgrading all of my machines but ....

I think I'll just wait until I get a new machine and get 10.4.x with that, use it for a while and then upgrade the other machines once I'm convinced that Tiger's features are worthwhile paying to upgrade my other machines to.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2005, 09:40 PM

So Spaz thats 2 people any other takers. I will stay with Tiger.
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules