Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Will I be able to do this on a Macbook

Will I be able to do this on a Macbook
mrtho1980
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2007, 06:33 PM

Hi,

Purchased my 1st mac 12 months a go, it was a 20" Imac, now looking to upgrade or buy one to go a long side it, was going to buy a 24" imac, but now like the Idea of a macbook, alot cheaper and can use it along side my current Imac.
I am concerned about the Intergrated graphics, I dont really do that much heavy work on it, maybe using Iphoto, and the odd 40 min video in Ivideo. One thing I like on the imca and the abillity to Zoom into a 10Megapixel Photo fully, and then drag all around the photo, there will be now slow down at all, will I be able to do this on the Macbook. Also will I be ok doing basic video editing.

I have also seen a few posts about the cases craking, was this a bad batch, or will this be something I should expect to happen over time.

One last thing, I heard a Rumour instore, that the Hard disk was user upgradable with out affecting the warranty, is this true?

Cheers

Ste

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by mrtho1980 View Post
Hi,

Purchased my 1st mac 12 months a go, it was a 20" Imac, now looking to upgrade or buy one to go a long side it, was going to buy a 24" imac, but now like the Idea of a macbook, alot cheaper and can use it along side my current Imac.
I am concerned about the Intergrated graphics, I dont really do that much heavy work on it, maybe using Iphoto, and the odd 40 min video in Ivideo. One thing I like on the imca and the abillity to Zoom into a 10Megapixel Photo fully, and then drag all around the photo, there will be now slow down at all, will I be able to do this on the Macbook. Also will I be ok doing basic video editing.
A MacBook will be sufficient for all of that

I have also seen a few posts about the cases craking, was this a bad batch, or will this be something I should expect to happen over time.
it was a bad batch, nothing to worry about

One last thing, I heard a Rumour instore, that the Hard disk was user upgradable with out affecting the warranty, is this true?
yep
Signature depreciated.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2007, 07:01 PM

Consumer level video and photo editing (including zoom and pan) will both be fine on a Macbook. I'd max out the memory to 2GB.

mrtho1980  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2007, 07:18 PM

Wow, cheers for the Quick replys , looks Like I have made my mind up, when I mean Pan around, I mean dragging around the screen sort of quickly when looking at a photo in detail.

Also I am looking at learing Macromedia / Adobe Flash and the new Flex. could I possibly struggle with these ?

Cheers Again ste

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2007, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by mrtho1980 View Post
Wow, cheers for the Quick replys , looks Like I have made my mind up, when I mean Pan around, I mean dragging around the screen sort of quickly when looking at a photo in detail.

Also I am looking at learing Macromedia / Adobe Flash and the new Flex. could I possibly struggle with these ?

Cheers Again ste
it should work well
Signature depreciated.

ayounus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2007, 07:51 PM

What about using autodesk inventor for my engineering graphics class? How well does the integrated graphics handle tasks like that? Assuming 2gb ram and the 200gb hard drive on the black macbook.

Thanks!

**Edit**
Sorry, I did't think to use the search function first!
( Last edited by ayounus; Jan 27, 2007 at 08:12 PM. )

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2007, 09:17 PM

The Macbook will perform as well as a MacBook Pro unless the software you're using depends on 3D graphics. I'm not sure about your engineering program, but just about everything else will be fine. Eg apart from Motion, all other Apple Pro aps will run really well.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2007, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by ayounus View Post
What about using autodesk inventor for my engineering graphics class? How well does the integrated graphics handle tasks like that? Assuming 2gb ram and the 200gb hard drive on the black macbook.
My guess is performance will be OK for most student-sized work. Of course, you'll need to buy and install Windows to run Inventor.

This guy says it flies on the MacBook compared to his Dell workstation, but I'm a bit skeptical.

Forum Links
Forum Rules