Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So much for "Boring" iPhone 7's and "Underpowered" MacBook Pros

So much for "Boring" iPhone 7's and "Underpowered" MacBook Pros
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2017, 06:07 PM

Just how did Apple post ALL-TIME RECORD quarterly earnings when they took away the headphone jack?

Apple Reports Record Results for 1Q 2017: $17.9B Profit on $78.4B Revenue, 78.3M iPhones - Mac Rumors

OAW

P
Jan 31, 2017, 06:23 PM

iPhone strong, services strong, Mac up a bit but I think they probably expected more after that long-delayed MBP, and iPad keeps dropping.

BTW, all the Android flagship phones of 2017 are removing the headphone jack, it seems.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mindwaves
Jan 31, 2017, 06:59 PM

Kind of surprised myself, and was going to post something similar. I'm typing on my MBP 13'' non-touchbar model and am quite happy with it. I did buy 2 USB-C to A dongles and bought a USB-C to lighting cable also, and all is well. Battery life is OK, but not as good as my 2015 MBA. I love the size.

Still don't like Apple Maps that much (interface is quite nice, though).

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2017, 08:13 PM

Let's not equate sales figures with product quality or innovation.

mindwaves
Jan 31, 2017, 08:42 PM

I'm not but considering the huge uproar from removing ports from their MBP line, I was thinking of falling sales for the Mac division not greater sales.

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2017, 08:46 PM

One can certainly make the case that these sales figures makes it quite clear that all the "wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth" was coming from a very vocal minority of Apple customers.

OAW

Ham Sandwich
Jan 31, 2017, 08:52 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:34 AM. )

mindwaves
Feb 1, 2017, 09:21 PM

Personally, I have not seen many iPad Pros in the wild. I'm the only one with the new MBP (besides one other person). I guess my market is different from the real world.

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2017, 12:20 AM

Based upon the earnings results iPad sales are still shrinking. Just not as dramatically as they were prior to the introduction of the iPad Pro. IMO the iPhone 6/7 Plus and the 12 inch MacBook have effectively cannibalized the iPad market. I don't see it recovering until the the older generation iPads wear out and people consider upgrading.

OAW

P
Feb 2, 2017, 03:11 AM

I agree that the backlash against the new MBP comes from a very vocal minority. I'm happy with mine, but man are there dongles all over the place now. USB-A is probably the most missed, but it is also the easiest to fix - I got a generic USB-C to 4 USB-A hub for nothing.

The iPhone sells a lot on the new camera, I think - note that the base model also got a big upgrade with OIS - and the iPhone SE apparently still sells well.

The 9.7" iPad Pro is the best iPad in history, but I don't think people are replacing their iPads very often. It is a problem if not even a product as great as that can reverse the slide.

Forum Links
Forum Rules