Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Credit Card companies finally getting their act together (security)

Credit Card companies finally getting their act together (security)
Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2003, 12:41 PM

CC fraud is out of control (in the UK: �11m per annum, one fraudulent transaction every eight seconds (that's for a population of 60m)) - and the Credit Card companies have finally got their act together and updated the whole magnetic stripe / signature authentication system.

http://www.chipandpin.co.uk/

report on 1st large scale trial (PDF)
- http://www.chipandpin.co.uk/pdf/nort...rst_report.pdf

I've had Credit Cards cloned twice - and I'm glad this is finally happening. Quite why it took so long is beyond me - the French have had a system somewhat like this for about 15 years.
( Last edited by Diggory Laycock; Sep 10, 2003 at 12:47 PM. )

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2003, 01:08 PM

We've had "chip and pin" in Norway since the beginning. Iceland is in the dark ages with people signing stuff and all. Baaaad Iceland.. Goooood Norway!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2003, 01:31 PM

I wonder how many people will be stupid enough to use a four number sequence that appears on the card so that they won't forget it... Like the expiration date, or the first/last four digits of the account number. I'm not sure how useful this will actually be. I'd be much happier if the PIN lengths were variable.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2003, 03:12 PM

More PINs to remember?

It's a good thing with regard to security, for sure, but hey all this remembering passwords and PINs is going to lead to people having to carry a book listing them all. :/

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2003, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
I wonder how many people will be stupid enough to use a four number sequence that appears on the card so that they won't forget it... Like the expiration date, or the first/last four digits of the account number. I'm not sure how useful this will actually be. I'd be much happier if the PIN lengths were variable.
people are not able to choose their PIN AFAIK.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules