Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Problems while capturing images w/ fcp3

Problems while capturing images w/ fcp3
jeronimo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2003, 05:55 PM

Hello guys,

It's the second time I use FCP 3 on a G4 (it's a friends machine), and I'm having some problems.
I log the clips that I want to capture from my DV tape (by the way, I'm using my Sony PC-1 camera as a "deck") and when I look at the final captured clip the video freezes on the beginning then it starts playing again after 20sec aprox. but with the audio out of sync... I have the Abort for dropped frames and Abort for timecode break turned off...
Am I having a dropped frame problem??? How should I proceed now?
Please someone help me!!!! Thanks!
Think Diferente!

jeronimo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2003, 09:10 AM

Someone?
Think Diferente!

DaveG4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 01:48 PM

It sounds to me like you are having a problem with a timecode break or dropped frames. You should turn those configurations back on to abort, that way if you are having one of the problems FCP will notify you that you have had dropped frames, or Timecode breaks. Also make sure that you are not trying to capture the first 10 seconds or so of the tape. When performing a capture from a log NLE's need handles. Basically they are extra footage at the beginning and end of the clip so that FCP can begin playing before capturing in order to begin the capture at the correct timecode and also to capture the clip beginning to end smoothly. If you are having drop frame problems it is probably your tape. I suggest that you always black your DV tapes before using them. This is a simple process. With any new tape simply put it in your camera and record from beginning to end. Be sure that the lens cape is on and that you have plugged something into the microphone port. This ensures that you are not recording anything. The purpose of this process is to lay down a fresh layer of timecode along the entire tape. Doing this to older used tapes with timecode breaks also helps to fix tapes that are having issues. Finally I would make sure that the deck that you are using has clean heads. Usually they notify you in one way or another that the play heads need cleaning, but it never hurts to run a cleaning tape in the deck for about thirty seconds. I hope that this helps. Have a great day.

David

P.S. Not to bash macnn, but a better place to post FCP questions would be www.2-pop.com They simply have much more knowlegable people furfing their boards that use FCP on a daily basis

jeronimo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2003, 08:27 AM

Hey Dave, thank you very much for your response...
By the way, I posted the same question on 2-pop but with no answer...
Ok, my tapes are all blacked and I'm capturing from my video camera (sony DCR-PC 1).
When I capture from iMovie everything goes fine... only w/ FCP 3 this happens...
Can it be the "handles"? Or a dirty head?
Think Diferente!

Forum Links
Forum Rules