Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > TV Serieseseseses

TV Serieseseseses (Page 6)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2015, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
'The Man In The High Castle' on Amazon Prime. Based on a Philip K Dick book, set in 1960s America if Germany/Japan won WW2. 2 episodes so far, the rest of the series is released later this month. Good stuff so far.
I've been hearing a lot about this. I haven't read the book, but I'm really interested to check out the series.

P
Nov 3, 2015, 02:37 PM

The book was a Hugo winner, and judged revolutionary at the time. IMO, it has not aged very well, but the premise is certainly interesting enough for a series.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Gearhead40
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2015, 07:24 PM

Breaking Bad is addictive! its awesome, and if you have the DVD's watch the extras and bonus features

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2015, 08:12 PM

I read High Castle just this year. Pretty interesting and a light enough read. Worth jumping into.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2015, 11:17 PM

Yeeeeeah, I'm gonna go ahead and pick it up.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2015, 05:15 PM

Meanwhile also on Amazon Prime have just binged through the whole first series of Mr Robot.

Welcome back to my screen Mr Christian Slater. Welcome back.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2015, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Gearhead40 View Post
Breaking Bad is addictive! its awesome, and if you have the DVD's watch the extras and bonus features
I've watched the whole series 9 times so far. Of course I cosplay as Walter White/Heisenberg.

So, Is Huell still waiting for Hank & Gomez to let him out of the safe house?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 10, 2015, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Meanwhile also on Amazon Prime have just binged through the whole first series of Mr Robot.

Welcome back to my screen Mr Christian Slater. Welcome back.
I thought about mentioning this show, I just finished the first season last week. It's incredibly refreshing to see a show get technology right. They all use real operating systems. When he "hacks" he uses real commands. When someone rooted an Android phone they did it for real, including the Samsung start-up noise.

Near the end it got a little hokey, with Elliot saying things like "IRL" or "script-kiddie" out loud, but overall I'm a fan. Loving the music.

Also, to spoil the entire first season:

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2016, 02:35 AM

Zombie thread, bit this week I have mostly been watching Stranger Things on Netflix. Oh its good. If you like 80's stuff, Stephen King, Super 8.... watch it. Big thumbs up.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

P
Aug 22, 2016, 05:21 AM

I have been watching it a bit, but it is not my bag of tea. Will finish it, I think.

Mr. Robot is good, but it is getting really annoying with the loud background sounds. Also "init 1" is the first command Elliot teaches Darlene? OK so it is clever in the context of the episode, but it doesn't make sense that this command is given that importance.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2016, 08:16 PM

Mr. Robot didn't catch me in season 1 and season 2 appears to be too smart for its own good so far. It's like Esmail is doing his best to make it difficult to watch.

I really enjoyed Stranger Things - it wasn't groundbreaking or amazing but just very, very entertaining. It knew what it was and stayed well in its lane and delivered a solid, satisfying story.

The Night Of is pretty good so far, although unlike ST it can't quite figure out what it wants to be. Haven't seen last night's episode but with two left, it could really go either way. Still one of the greatest first episodes I've seen though, although (unlike The Honourable Woman) the rest of the story hasn't quite lived up to it IMO.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2016, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice
Zombie thread, bit this week I have mostly been watching Stranger Things on Netflix. Oh its good. If you like 80's stuff, Stephen King, Super 8.... watch it. Big thumbs up.
My friend peaked my interest by describing the show as a cross between The Goonies and The X-Files. I just binge watched all 8 episodes and I have to say he was correct.

Originally Posted by The Final Shortcut View Post
I really enjoyed Stranger Things - it wasn't groundbreaking or amazing but just very, very entertaining. It knew what it was and stayed well in its lane and delivered a solid, satisfying story.
Do you think that story should continue with season 2? I would like to see each season have it's own self contained story with different characters. (As long as they still take place in the 80's.)

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2016, 06:24 AM

I have an inkling ST will keep at least some of its cast. I know how proud they were to discover some of them, I'm not sure they will want to let them go just yet.

The two girls, Eleven and the older sister with the huge doe eyes both reminded me of people I struggled to place all the way through. I eventually came to the conclusion that Eleven reminded me of Alex Mack and the other one reminded me of Jayma Mays.

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

reader50
Administrator
Aug 26, 2016, 03:53 AM

I enjoyed Stranger Things. The kids especially - all four have distinct personalities. And who among us didn't know a few mouth breathers in school.

andi*pandi
Aug 26, 2016, 03:08 PM

Verizon is offering free HBO this month. I'm taking the opportunity to finish up VEEP (funny but depressing commentary on state of politics) and FINALLY watch Game of Thrones. Up to season 2 so far. Feels like it's moving faster than the books, but I'm far enough removed from reading that I can't see all the changes.

These people would avert so much troubles if they had better communication system than crows. "oh hay littlefinger said that dagger was tryions... but ya know, he ended up betraying us, so maybe he was lying???"

andi*pandi
Jul 29, 2019, 11:36 AM

Heard Stranger Things Season 3 was good, so rewatched season 1 and am now starting season 2. Pretty good so far.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2019, 04:18 PM

Two words... Pi. Card.

andi*pandi
Jul 29, 2019, 04:33 PM

counterargument: cbs all access

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2019, 04:40 PM

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2019, 11:32 AM

Meanwhile on Amazon Prime...

The Boys
Refreshingly different superheroes series.
I do like a nice bit of Karl Urban, even if his British accent is about as convincing as Dick Van Dykes.

"Cor blimey Mr superhero yer a bit tasty and no mistake. Cor blimey"

Mind you Simon Pegg's American one isn't far behind.

Apart from that. Very watchable.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2019, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
heard stranger things season 3 was good, so rewatched season 1 and am now starting season 2. Pretty good so far.
st s2<s1 s3>s2

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2019, 11:34 AM

If you have UK TV then grab hold of Gentleman Jack.

Suran Jones is awesome as the world first Lesbian (yes I know)...

The whole show is a delight and proper kick up the Jane Austin

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2019, 12:07 PM

Meanwhile on Amazon Prime...

The Boys
Refreshingly different superheroes series.
I do like a nice bit of Karl Urban, even if his British accent is about as convincing as Dick Van Dykes.

"Cor blimey Mr superhero yer a bit tasty and no mistake. Cor blimey"

Mind you Simon Pegg's American one isn't far behind.

Apart from that. Very watchable.
I'm about halfway into series one. I was hooked early on but I fear the storyline is going to become all too predictable.

Karl Urban's accent is pretty awful. It took me a while to figure out what exactly he was trying to do with it. Simon Pegg's American accent is passable although somewhat deliberate sounding.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 30, 2019, 12:39 PM

The Expanse has been renewed for Season 5.

S4 has wrapped filming, but won't air until December, so I expect it's still in post production. I'm guessing Bezos saw an early build, and signed off on the renewal.

OreoCookie
Jul 30, 2019, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
The Expanse has been renewed for Season 5.

S4 has wrapped filming, but won't air until December, so I expect it's still in post production. I'm guessing Bezos saw an early build, and signed off on the renewal.
I freaggin' love The Expanse, and I was exuberant when it was “resurrected” after being cancelled.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2019, 08:40 PM

I just watched David and Olivia? Naked In Scotland. Different but watchable.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Aug 1, 2019, 11:13 AM

Stranger Things Season 2: I liked it, but felt the 11 was missing too long from the main story. Also, my theory about Bob was completely wrong.

other good shows:
Gentleman Jack: yes. The 4th wall chats were excellent.
Good Omens: much better than I'd hoped, very few nitpicks, Crowley and Aziraphale were excellent.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 5, 2019, 10:56 AM

Black Mirror. Just watched season 5. Black Mirror has always been about people and their relationship with technology, but this season felt like it was even more about the people and less about the tech. I still haven't watched Bandersnatch.

Thorzdad
Aug 5, 2019, 06:09 PM

I find I have to pick and choose episodes when it comes to Black Mirror. Some episodes are really great. Others pretty lame. Haven’t watched the new series yet.

We just finished up Dead to Me. It was a whole lot better than I expected it to be.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2019, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I find I have to pick and choose episodes when it comes to Black Mirror. Some episodes are really great. Others pretty lame. Haven’t watched the new series yet.

We just finished up Dead to Me. It was a whole lot better than I expected it to be.
Dead to Me or Dead Like Me?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2019, 12:26 PM

Vikings season 5 is quite a different show. More expansive, less Vikingy. More like GoT sans magic etc. Zero Ragnar. Less good.

Thorzdad
Aug 6, 2019, 04:40 PM

Dead to Me or Dead Like Me?
To Me. It’s on Netflix. Stars Christina Applegate.
I loved Dead Like Me, too.

joyjoy22
Banned
Aug 7, 2019, 01:10 AM

Just started streaming Lucifer Season 4.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Sep 16, 2020 at 10:11 PM. )

andi*pandi
Aug 7, 2019, 10:33 AM

Lucifer is good campy fun - and also interesting discussion of free will and responsibility. Oh yeah, and pretty.

Finished Stranger Things 3 last night, enjoyed immensely. A good ending but leaves door open for season 4.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2019, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by joyjoy22 View Post
Just started streaming Lucifer Season 4.
I'm glad Netflix picked it up. It's simple fun. Very campy and altogether stupid but very watchable. I think session 5 is unlikely though.

Lucifers skin colour seems to vary hugely scene to scene. Sometimes he's normal other times he's strangely orange.

andi*pandi
Aug 7, 2019, 02:37 PM

Lucifer Season 5 on netflix will have 16 episodes. I didn't care for the Netflix cgi of the "devil face" that much, too much melted plastic. It was better as a brief glimpse.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2019, 07:28 PM

Season 5 usually means syndication so I feel like it typically has a better chance of renewal than other seasons.

P
Aug 8, 2019, 08:17 AM

Syndication is, these days, 80-88 episodes or so - meaning 4 seasons of 20+ episodes. Lucifer has had shorter seasons, and anyway if Netflix has bought it, they’re not interested in more syndication revenue. They want to keep it on their service forever.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2019, 01:50 PM

A good ending but leaves door open for season 4.
Never in the history of TV has a show been more open for season 4.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2019, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Syndication is, these days, 80-88 episodes or so - meaning 4 seasons of 20+ episodes. Lucifer has had shorter seasons, and anyway if Netflix has bought it, they’re not interested in more syndication revenue. They want to keep it on their service forever.
I'm not sure how it works with who retains the rights when shows switch provider like that. Many shows are on multiple platforms anyway and syndication money is big enough to be worth Netflix's time. Theres probably a prior agreement with Fox about it. Though I guess Disney now owns Fox's TV assets. I wonder if they'd be open to more Firefly...

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2019, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Firefly...
That's almost as bad as invoking Godwins law.

The longer a thread about cancelled TV shows is the more likely it is to end with someone crying for more Firefly.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2019, 02:40 PM

Never happening. Joss holds grudges.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2019, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Never happening. Joss holds grudges.
Against Fox. But Fox is Disney now and he worked with them recently. Doesn't he have a new show coming up too? Who's making that?

andi*pandi
Aug 10, 2019, 08:59 PM

Joss has been willing, the cast is willing, but Fox owns it. There are new comics now that are pretty good though! I would accept season 2 as animated.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2019, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Against Fox. But Fox is Disney now and he worked with them recently. Doesn't he have a new show coming up too? Who's making that?
I kinda feel like Serenity showed something of a grudge against the fans.

andi*pandi
Aug 10, 2019, 11:16 PM

I never got that feeling. I got the feeling that stakes had to be high and 5 seasons worth of story ideas had to be smooshed into 2 hours.

-555 Boston Battalion

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2019, 12:56 AM

had to be smooshed
They didn’t have to be. He did it that way because he hates me.

P
Aug 11, 2019, 05:16 AM

Serenity is written like the last five or so episodes of a season. Joss has said that he would not have killed Wash if it were an ongoing series, but other than that, it would have happened as it did. It is like one of those episodes that close the book on part of the story, to make the next season go somewhere new.

And I don’t think it ever comes back. Serenity was never very popular, because Firefly didn’t have a chance to build a fan base. There is little chance now to do that. Anyway, Joss is finally doing something new (a new series for HBO called The Nevers). We’ll see how that is.
( Last edited by P; Aug 11, 2019 at 06:13 AM. )

Thorzdad
Aug 11, 2019, 07:38 AM

I'd watch the hell out of a Jouneys of Shepherd Book series.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2019, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Serenity is written like the last five or so episodes of a season. Joss has said that he would not have killed Wash if it were an ongoing series, but other than that, it would have happened as it did. It is like one of those episodes that close the book on part of the story, to make the next season go somewhere new.

And I don’t think it ever comes back. Serenity was never very popular, because Firefly didn’t have a chance to build a fan base. There is little chance now to do that. Anyway, Joss is finally doing something new (a new series for HBO called The Nevers). We’ll see how that is.
It has a pretty massive following now. I read that Serenity was going to be two or three films but Alan Tudyk wasn't available for a second one so they had to kill him off. No idea how true that is.

I figure one day, feasibly in my lifetime the tech will exist to say "Hey Siri, make me a steampunk comedy TV show starring a 25 year old Marilyn Monroe and a teenaged Clint Eastwood and a 94 year old Miley Cyrus about 3 people who live in a bunker with a robot pineapple voiced by William Shatner in post apocalyptic Fiji." And Siri will be able to generate it, photorealistic and stream it within a few minutes. Likewise, "Hey Siri, make me seasons 2 through 99 of Firely" will also work.
Might not be available on the iPhone 33 but the studios will be able to do it within a decade or two I reckon. Just look at the quality of some of these deepfakes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules