Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X v10.8 - Mountain Lion

OS X v10.8 - Mountain Lion (Page 7)
Thread Tools
P
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2012, 04:20 AM
 
All My Files is a saved spotlight search that tries to show you all files that you have created and that are not part of the default OS install. Not sure how the search is structured, but I think you can manually edit the search if you like.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.
     
HamSandwich
Guest
Status:
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2012, 09:42 AM
 
Originally Posted by P View Post
All My Files is a saved spotlight search that tries to show you all files that you have created and that are not part of the default OS install. Not sure how the search is structured, but I think you can manually edit the search if you like.
I see. But isn't the Finder view with 'All my files' entirely different than usual? I found the file types in rows (PDF, text, images) and with images alone, it looked very elegant, like a cover flow integrated into a normal finder window. Can you activate this view somewhere else? Is it the normal view you get when you search something?
Perhaps I should rather try out more, just thinking...

[Edit: Alright, I retried and I figured out views change a bit using this 'Arrange by' option (selecting 'type' for instance). This I find very elegant and practical, hmm...]
     
And.reg
The Mighty
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: With the seagulls and the lobster rolls
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 16, 2012, 06:03 AM
 
Greetings. I am unable to delete my posts, and apparently you moderators are on some kind of a strike.

Therefore, I have removed the content of the original post by hand.

I am asking for this post to be deleted, since I don't seem to have the option to do that myself.
     
And.reg
The Mighty
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: With the seagulls and the lobster rolls
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 21, 2012, 08:59 AM
 
Greetings. I am unable to delete my posts, and apparently you moderators are on some kind of a strike.

Therefore, I have removed the content of the original post by hand.

I am asking for this post to be deleted, since I don't seem to have the option to do that myself.
     
And.reg
The Mighty
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: With the seagulls and the lobster rolls
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 24, 2012, 12:32 PM
 
Greetings. I am unable to delete my posts, and apparently you moderators are on some kind of a strike.

Therefore, I have removed the content of the original post by hand.

I am asking for this post to be deleted, since I don't seem to have the option to do that myself.
     
HamSandwich
Guest
Status:
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2012, 11:24 AM
 
Hello,

I have a question more or less directly related to 10.8 - this one: I switched a somewhat older iMac from 10.5 to 10.8 and I had a to buy Snow Leopard for this to get the MacApp store app... Well, I also created a USB thumb stick drive as recommended by a MacWorld article, hoping I could then re-sell 10.6 entirely, only falling back to the USB stick in case of an HD failure. However, now I wonder, what if the HD failure just happens, and for some reason the USB stick won't work? I would have to buy 10.6 again, then download again ... etc. etc. I also have a TimeMachine backup drive, but, as far as I understand, it only helps in case of an external installer disk (USB stick/DVD) and a full OS reinstallation.
Now, what do you recommend to people like me? Certainly, the USB stick is the quicker way of installation and I can keep it up-to-date with the latest installers, I suppose. But, on the other hand, 10.6 wasn't even so easy to get (Apple discontinued 10.6 alongside 10.7 from the AppleStore, at least AFAIK). Any ideas? I suppose I have to keep the Snow Leopard disc, too. Hmm.

Greetings, Pete
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2012, 04:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
However, now I wonder, what if the HD failure just happens, and for some reason the USB stick won't work? I would have to buy 10.6 again, then download again ... etc. etc.
You worry too much. Of course you don't have to pay again: log in with your iTunes account into any Mac and you can re-download any of your purchases.

But I don't understand why you think you have to keep the 10.6 installer around, the 10.8 installer will suffice. If you want to be certain, copy the installer onto an external hard drive in addition to a USB stick and you'll have another layer of protection.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
mindwaves
Professional Poster
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Irvine, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 27, 2012, 12:04 AM
 
I did the annotate on PDF thing and opened it using Acrobat 9.5 using VirtualBox and Win XP and it opened up fine with all annotations (I just saved it but did not email it).
{{{ mindwaves }}}
     
HamSandwich
Guest
Status:
Reply With Quote
Aug 27, 2012, 12:41 AM
 
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
You worry too much. Of course you don't have to pay again: log in with your iTunes account into any Mac and you can re-download any of your purchases.
But I don't understand why you think you have to keep the 10.6 installer around, the 10.8 installer will suffice. If you want to be certain, copy the installer onto an external hard drive in addition to a USB stick and you'll have another layer of protection.
Yes, I know that much, I think, that, once purchased, 10.8 can be downloaded again and again...

But in case of an HD failure, there is no OS on a new HD, right? So what to do? If my USB stick won't work for some reason, I would have to reinstall 10.6, then download 10.8, install this - go from there. No? That's why I'm asking; and for this, I have to keep 10.6 and can't resell it, I thought.

Perhaps I am too worried - I don't know yet...
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 27, 2012, 05:10 AM
 
Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
But in case of an HD failure, there is no OS on a new HD, right? So what to do? If my USB stick won't work for some reason, I would have to reinstall 10.6, then download 10.8, install this - go from there.
No, why are you making your life so difficult?
All you need is a new hard drive (duh!), a copy of the 10.8 installer called »InstallESD.dmg« (on your backup drive perhaps), a working (new?) USB stick and a OS X boot disk (doesn't have to be 10.6).

(1) Replace your hard drive.
(2) Pop in an installer DVD and launch Disk Utility.
(3) Create the Installer using these instructions, but skipping the first two steps. Instead, you should select File > Open Image ... and navigate to the location of »InstallESD.dmg«.
(4) Follow the rest of the instructions.

And now you have a new Mountain Lion USB installer. All you need is some working version of Disk Utility, you don't need to install 10.6 first.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
HamSandwich
Guest
Status:
Reply With Quote
Aug 27, 2012, 10:44 PM
 
Hello,

yes, I may be overworried, I have to think my way through this still, I found all the 'USB stick' and 'OS download' stuff a bit confusing, as we hadn't upgraded to Lion, so I'm still a bit uncertain; but I think I'm getting there.

One last thing, though: What happens if I have said USB stick with 10.8 installed (10.8.0) and if 10.8.x has been released meanwhile? I have a Time Machine backup drive, so how does that work out? I thought the 'magic' it does happens with new OS installs, so that you re-install the OS on a new drive, the Mac finds the TimeMachine backup drive and recreates the last work environment entirely. But what if the OS on the TimeMachine drive is a bit newer? Or can you just install OS X from the USB stick, download the updates, then connect your TimeMachine HD?

(I have read you ought to keep the OS X on the USB stick up-to-date, re-downloading the installer each time a new 10.8.x update is released, I will try, but what if I didn't? Just thinking...)

Thanks! Pete
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 27, 2012, 11:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
One last thing, though: What happens if I have said USB stick with 10.8 installed (10.8.0) and if 10.8.x has been released meanwhile?
Then an install from the USB stick will give you OS X 10.8.0 and you need to upgrade to whatever is the latest version then.
Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
I have a Time Machine backup drive, so how does that work out?
It'll just work: boot from the USB stick and use Migration Assistant to recover from your Time Machine backup. You don't need to install OS X first.
Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
But what if the OS on the TimeMachine drive is a bit newer?
Doesn't matter (at least as you're using the same major version, I haven't tried to recover 10.8 backed up via Time Machine using an older version).
Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
Or can you just install OS X from the USB stick, download the updates, then connect your TimeMachine HD?
No, you don't need to install OS X first, just boot from the USB stick and use Migration Assistant to restore your Machine from the Time Machine backup.
Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
(I have read you ought to keep the OS X on the USB stick up-to-date, re-downloading the installer each time a new 10.8.x update is released, I will try, but what if I didn't? Just thinking...)
Thanks! Pete
OS X keeps your recovery partition and the installer up to date for you, but you will have manually keep your USB stick up to date.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
And.reg
The Mighty
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: With the seagulls and the lobster rolls
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 28, 2012, 05:32 AM
 
Greetings. I am unable to delete my posts, and apparently you moderators are on some kind of a strike.

Therefore, I have removed the content of the original post by hand.

I am asking for this post to be deleted, since I don't seem to have the option to do that myself.
     
And.reg
The Mighty
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: With the seagulls and the lobster rolls
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 28, 2012, 05:45 AM
 
Greetings. I am unable to delete my posts, and apparently you moderators are on some kind of a strike.

Therefore, I have removed the content of the original post by hand.

I am asking for this post to be deleted, since I don't seem to have the option to do that myself.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 28, 2012, 06:11 AM
 
Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
Well that just about does it for me. Apple just lost me as a customer.
I came to MacNN because I got sick of the MacRumors "bully moderators" and all the n00bs.
But I've tried every tip in the book that you folks have asked of me (other than to crack open my Pro MacBook) and I can't stand Apple anymore.
In 21 years of being a Mac user myself, I've never been so confused out of my mind as to how to do even basic things with Macs...
  • Since I upgraded to 10.7, half of my text/picture files are mysteriously "locked" - a message I never saw before. So, if I want to modify a picture, then I have to export it to a new file, then I have to go through like 3 confusing dialogues just to get the picture off my screen. The option to disable locks is unbeknowingly hidden in Time Machine preferences.
  • The Finder folder menus don't make it easy for you to find your home and library folders.
  • I can't color-code individual events; instead, you have to create individual calendars (categories). I spent 6 hours searching for how to do this. Where is the "Macs are simple" option?
  • iCloud is so frustratingly featureless. I can show my schedule and some pictures to myself... but not to my friends who use Windows. All my friends use Windows anyway, so all these Mac features are meaningless for me. And I still can't share my full schedule...it has to be done one category/calendar at a time. There's still no way to share text files, PDFs, or anything else in iCloud. I paid $2,000 for my Mac - I should be able to do whatever the **** I want with it!!
  • Preview worked just fine in 10.6... then Apple filled it with so many stupid bugs/crashes going forward and still hasn't fixed any of them from 10.7 onward. See my previous posts. I think ever since Steve Jobs was on his way out, idiots have been designing the software.
  • Still, after like 3 .1 updates, aliases/Shortcuts to folders keep breaking, and I have to keep updating them by hand.
  • Why is Apple still putting laptop-garbage graphics cards in their $2,000-$3,000 pro desktops?!
  • My personal experiences with the hardware is best described as "a living nightmare." My folks had the hinges on their titanium Powerbook G4 fall apart and the power supply/battery fail on their aluminum Powerbook G4. As for me: Out of the 7 Macs I've owned, 4 of them had logic board failures, 1 of them had a PSU failure, and these were all problems with newer Macs. And AppleCare coverage is a joke! I paid the $300 for AppleCare, had a Mac in for service... and Apple still tried to charge me over $1000 for repairs! What the hell? All that money went down the drain.
  • Apple seems to give simply not one **** about hardware faults. Broken Powerbook/Macbook Air hinges, iPhone antenna placement, Macbook palmrest cracks (allegedly they replace those), PSU failures (allegedly same replacements), a few faulty batteries...
  • What kind of complete ****ing stupid idiot decided that, from 10.6 to 10.7, the "natural scroll" movement of the trackpad should be backwards?
  • OS X 10.8.1... well, still continues to have all these problems. I feel like I'm a slave to a faulty, restrictive, dopey-programmed OS.
  • S. Herlot's attitude has been very confrontational with me because I speak the unsettling. truth.
I paid $2000 for a fragile P.O.S. that still won't do simple tasks that I want it to do. If there's a hardware problem, I have to pay out of the a** to have it fixed, and lately Apple's laptops have been plagued with hardware failures. The software IS STILL full of bugs, and I still have to keep making work-arounds (see the previous post I quoted... why are you paying $$$ to have to do this?).
Macs are expensive fragile products that last 3 years and come with software that won't let you do what you want.
^ Enjoy your $2,000 Facebook machines!
That's what I get for being a loyal Mac user for 21 years?
Apple can go take a giant s*** on some other customers, because they just lost me as a loyal customer. I'm switching to Windows.

So what you are looking for here? Us to convince you to stay? Perhaps some will attempt to convince you to do so...

The reason I'm responding is because I'm genuinely curious whether you hope to sway us given the small sample size of data (namely your experiences) being accounted for here? I don't disbelieve you that you've had a rough time, but this doesn't tell us much other than that you've had a rough time. Sorry, but this is not a viable basis for some of the absolute claims you are making here.

If you are looking for sympathy I predict you'll get snark in return, but FWIW, I'm sorry you've had a frustrating computing experience.
     
HamSandwich
Guest
Status:
Reply With Quote
Aug 28, 2012, 08:20 AM
 
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
many OreoCookie quotes and answers
Thanks! That's it. Just have to get used to all of this, I think...
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 28, 2012, 05:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
All you need to do... yikes, a $2000 machine still has confusing work-arounds like this?
Well, the OP was asking for something rather specific and non-mainstream (which is fine), so it's bound to be a little more complicated. That's why there are these forums
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 28, 2012, 05:38 PM
 
My favorite Mountain Lion feature by a decent margin: Notes and Reminders plus iCloud. I'm liking Notification Center pretty well too.
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 28, 2012, 05:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
Well that just about does it for me. Apple just lost me as a customer.
I came to MacNN because I got sick of the MacRumors "bully moderators" and all the n00bs.
But I've tried every tip in the book that you folks have asked of me (other than to crack open my Pro MacBook) and I can't stand Apple anymore.
In 21 years of being a Mac user myself, I've never been so confused out of my mind as to how to do even basic things with Macs...
Many of these problems have rather easy fixes, e. g. the easiest way for cross-platform file sharing is Dropbox. But I recommend you create your own thread since this one is dedicated to OS X Mountain Lion.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 29, 2012, 12:05 AM
 
Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
No, why are you making your life so difficult?
All you need is a new hard drive (duh!), a copy of the 10.8 installer called »InstallESD.dmg« (on your backup drive perhaps), a working (new?) USB stick and a OS X boot disk (doesn't have to be 10.6).
(1) Replace your hard drive.
(2) Pop in an installer DVD and launch Disk Utility.
(3) Create the Installer using these instructions, but skipping the first two steps. Instead, you should select File > Open Image ... and navigate to the location of »InstallESD.dmg«.
(4) Follow the rest of the instructions.
And now you have a new Mountain Lion USB installer. All you need is some working version of Disk Utility, you don't need to install 10.6 first.
All you need to do... yikes, a $2000 machine still has confusing work-arounds like this?
All models introduced after Lion was introduced will go into automatic Internet Recovery Mode if no recovery partition is available.

You turn on the machine, connect to Wi-Fi or Ethernet, and give it your Apple ID. And wait.

That's it.

PeterParker got a confusing work-around because he insisted on overthinking and doing things the hard way.
If you want a bootable USB stick, be prepared to have to MAKE one.

Yeah, goddamn Apple, lost you as a customer, a $80,000 automobile will require confusing work-arounds involving airplanes, tickets, luggage checks, and TSA pat-downs to get me to the Bahamas. WTF Mercedes?
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 29, 2012, 12:33 AM
 
Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
[*] The Finder folder menus don't make it easy for you to find your home and library folders.
What does this mean? I have no idea.

The Home folder is in the sidebar of every single Finder window, is right there in the menu, can be accessed by hitting Cmd-Shift-H, and can be made the default location for every new Finder window.

I do not understand your problem here.

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
[*] I can't color-code individual events; instead, you have to create individual calendars (categories). I spent 6 hours searching for how to do this. Where is the "Macs are simple" option?
You're trying to make them complicated.

The point of the color-coding is to keep CALENDARS separate and discern between, e.g. work, sports, kids, home, studio, etc. They're categories of events. This is a conceptual thing, and it is very simple to grasp.

If you want to change the color of an individual item, assign it to a calendar.

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
[*] iCloud is so frustratingly featureless. I can show my schedule and some pictures to myself... but not to my friends who use Windows. All my friends use Windows anyway, so all these Mac features are meaningless for me. And I still can't share my full schedule...it has to be done one category/calendar at a time. There's still no way to share text files, PDFs, or anything else in iCloud. I paid $2,000 for my Mac - I should be able to do whatever the **** I want with it!!
My Mercedes won't drive me to the Bahamas.

I paid $80,000 for my car, I should be able to do whatever the **** I want with it!!

I'm sorry that Apple's FREE SERVICE doesn't do everything you need it to at this time. Thankfully, there are alternatives for sharing files (DropBox, SkyDrive, etc.) and calendars (Google calendars).
It's your Mac. It will do whatever the **** you want it to, but you MAY have to be willing to take some responsibility yourself.

Also: I was under the impression that iCloud works fine on Windows, within limits. Calendar sharing doesn't work? Interesting.

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
[*] Preview worked just fine in 10.6... then Apple filled it with so many stupid bugs/crashes going forward and still hasn't fixed any of them from 10.7 onward. See my previous posts. I think ever since Steve Jobs was on his way out, idiots have been designing the software.
10.7 was designed and released under Steve's tenure. Word has it that the skeuomorphic address book (shudder) was his personal preference.

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
[*] My personal experiences with the hardware is best described as "a living nightmare." My folks had the hinges on their titanium Powerbook G4 fall apart and the power supply/battery fail on their aluminum Powerbook G4. As for me: Out of the 7 Macs I've owned, 4 of them had logic board failures, 1 of them had a PSU failure, and these were all problems with newer Macs. And AppleCare coverage is a joke! I paid the $300 for AppleCare, had a Mac in for service... and Apple still tried to charge me over $1000 for repairs! What the hell? All that money went down the drain.
[*] Apple seems to give simply not one **** about hardware faults. Broken Powerbook/Macbook Air hinges, iPhone antenna placement, Macbook palmrest cracks (allegedly they replace those), PSU failures (allegedly same replacements), a few faulty batteries…
You're throwing a lot of things together, pointing to examples of where Apple actually DID acknowledge faults, and fixed them, and shouting about how Apple doesn't give a **** and their service is a joke?
They're just a hardware company building computers. Their stuff breaks. If they think it was their fault, they fix it.

IIRC, the titanium hinges were replaced by Apple for free if certain conditions were met.

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
[*] What kind of complete ****ing stupid idiot decided that, from 10.6 to 10.7, the "natural scroll" movement of the trackpad should be backwards?
It's a ****ing option. Use it. Why does this present a problem for you?

Response to natural scrolling has been overwhelmingly positive, from what I've seen/heard, especially among trackpad users.

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
[*] S. Herlot's attitude has been very confrontational with me because I speak the unsettling. truth.[/LIST]
I'll agree with the "unsettling" bit.

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
That's what I get for being a loyal Mac user for 21 years?

Apple can go take a giant s*** on some other customers, because they just lost me as a loyal customer. I'm switching to Windows.


Apple owes you nothing but what you decide to pay for, Andrej.

They owe us their continued existence for our support in the mid/late nineties, but the payback for that is still being able to buy Apple gear.

And take off those rose-tinted glasses:

For one, their hardware sucking "lately", and talking about titanium hinges…that was released OVER TEN YEARS AGO. "Lately", my ass. They didn't fix their Firewire power implementation until June 2002. And the nineties…the first Centris, the Performa 5200 (SEVEN YEARS of extended warranty on monitor cable placement)… ah.

I've been laughing over the "I'm switching to Windows" threats since the first versions of OS X. Go ahead.

Seems like an excellent choice, especially with Windows 8 finally nailing down the 7 experience, finely honing it to efficiency, and fixing all the outstanding bugs.

Should be smooth sailing.
     
Salty
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 29, 2012, 11:47 AM
 
Dude if you can't figure out OS X good luck on Windows.
     
And.reg
The Mighty
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: With the seagulls and the lobster rolls
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 3, 2012, 12:44 PM
 
Greetings. I am unable to delete my posts, and apparently you moderators are on some kind of a strike.

Therefore, I have removed the content of the original post by hand.

I am asking for this post to be deleted, since I don't seem to have the option to do that myself.
     
HamSandwich
Guest
Status:
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2012, 01:30 PM
 
Look, this may be the truth:
We are not here to be held accountable for the many misunderstandings or mistakes you are creating or have made.

I think: There is a new generation of personal computers ahead. For example, in the 90s, you would have computers crash often enough, once a month let's say, sometimes more often, depending on what you really did. When the year 2000 came, the personal computer that never crashed was really invented, and ever since, neither Mac nor PC ever really crashed again. The virus situation was resolved, too.
New OSs like Windows 7 and 10.7 mean game change; new ideas are being tried, interface experience from smartphones/tablets are being brought over, when robustness and stability is your ground, there is room for 'luxury' - which can simply mean ease of use (don't worry).
There is something else happening, too: For 35 years, HDs were the bottleneck of everything, when Gigabit Ethernet became normal, it was too fast for most HDs, same for the latest Firewire and of course the currently incoming USB 3. People had gotten used to the fact that to transfer 1000 emails/images/videos takes quite some time; but the idea to take time is not digital, it is a layman theory (it's going to be worked out over time). - The combination of SSD drives, USB 3, Gigabit Ethernet, extremely fast WiFi etc. is a good step in that direction.
Then there are Retina displays - when you get drawn in, considering all the impact images can always have, you won't miss the point.

The combination of all this - new OS, SSD, Retina (and very fast internet, and absolutely safe backup solutions) - the change is extraordinary. What truly happened is that we were all part of this, the invention of the personal computer, and people admired it so much they were completely drawn into the experience, they made it part of their personal and work life, quite before computers really worked well enough, and so people eventually became observers of the invention evolving. This is where we are now, technically, it's merely a step, and many of the 'constants' of computing have already vanished, although people don't always notice so quickly.
It's good what is going on, personal computers these days are most honest than they have ever been. (and yes, there is money involved, too; don't forget to pay.)

Gnight,
Pete
     
And.reg
The Mighty
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: With the seagulls and the lobster rolls
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 5, 2012, 06:28 PM
 
Maybe you're right about advancing technology...
I've concluded that I have a love-hate relationship with Apple, and I have just been at the hate end one too many times with my past luck with Apple's hardware.

But their software is still stupidly buggy. I couldn't get used to Windows 7, it's a full-on nightmare to use a PC laptop. I decided to just get rid of my 15 Pro (the one with all the problems) and buy a new 13 MacBook Air. That Mac just looks like it wants to be loved and it has flash storage and is minimalist.

So, there you go.

I still find OS X to have lots of ridiculous annoyances, but as I said, it's a love-hate relationship. With Microsoft, all I have is hate and OMFG how the **** do people manage?

Plus I've always liked the iPod touch and used mine to type my post (this one).

Well *maybe* I will have better luck with the smaller MacBooks.

I guess I shouldn't expect so much from an OS (I.e. not be quite so critical), again, a lot of that comes from PC hardware and man they still can't even get 2 finger scrolling right and their battery life is awful! I might as well use a desktop.


So can I try being a loyal Mac user again?
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 5, 2012, 08:52 PM
 
In the end, I pay my money for the least amount of suck. The stuff needs to get done what I need to get done in the least annoying way possible.

Make your choices.
     
Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: May 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 9, 2012, 07:08 PM
 
Installed ML. Nice. One small issue:

In every release of MacOS up till now, there's been a bar at the bottom of every finder window that shows how many items are in the folder you've opened and how much disk space is available in the disk that folder is in. Now it's gone, and I can't figure out how to get it back.

Any ideas?
     
chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 9, 2012, 07:27 PM
 
View > Show Status Bar
     
Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: May 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 9, 2012, 09:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by chabig View Post
View > Show Status Bar
Cool. Thanks!
     
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 11, 2012, 10:46 AM
 
Man, I'm having so many issues with Mountain Lion.

Lately I've been getting QTKitServer taking up over 100% of CPU cycle.

Safari also taking up 100% of CPU cycle. Had to 'disable javascript', or the browser would slow to a crawl and stop loading pages.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.
     
jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Land of Enchantment
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 12, 2012, 09:59 PM
 
Have you tried re-installing ML? Seems that some mem management routine may have got borked.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,