Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > TV Serieseseseses

TV Serieseseseses (Page 2)
Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2014, 07:03 PM

I started off enjoying Orphan Black, but Season 2 has lost me.

andi*pandi
Jun 10, 2014, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I just don't get, and the show does not explain, why

I took this to mean that because Sarah was

I wasn't sure if this was futuristic/alternate reality, so any impossibilties or improbabilities are already on the table (hi fringe again).

Still, despite the silly turn of the last 2 episodes, it still is better than most other tv out there.

I find myself reluctant to get into season 2 of vikings. If that priest dies, I'm done.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2014, 09:58 PM

What the ****? The new iPad is killing me.....I write a big response, switch to a new tab to check a fact, and the entire page gets refreshed and wipes out everything I've written. Is this the infamous insufficient memory issue? Incredibly annoying.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

P
Jun 11, 2014, 02:46 AM

Yup, that's it. Before you leave the tab, hold to get the menu, Select All and Copy.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2014, 08:46 AM

Guh. It can't even handle two tabs without refreshing? That is really brutal.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I took this to mean that because Sarah was

Yes there are some factors that might steer Sarah away from authorities - what about

I wasn't sure if this was futuristic/alternate reality, so any impossibilties or improbabilities are already on the table (hi fringe again).

100% chance this has been the subject of many legal memos over the years - I think there was recently a SCOTUS case that danced around this issue, actually. Either way, no patent is going to be upheld stemming from

Furthermore this may be my self-interest talking, but why are characters signing life-altering documents and discussing patent law without talking to their lawyers? Is everyone on this show crazy?

Still, despite the silly turn of the last 2 episodes, it still is better than most other tv out there.
I guess....I suppose it depends on how much TV you watch. I don't watch very much, and I get very antsy when I feel I'm wasting what little time I have.

akent35
Banned
Jun 11, 2014, 11:07 AM

Man, Fargo is something else! Last night's episode was full of surprises. And, Lester sure is a cunning man, even though he appears to be not very sharp. Only one episode left, the 1 1/2 hour final episode next week. I'm going to miss it (only 10 episodes this year).

The following week, Tyrant, a new series, starts on the same night, and in the same time slot. Hope it's as good. The one I am anxious about is Season 2 of The Bridge, starting on Wednesday, July 9th. I have all of Season 1, and I'm going to re-watch it, so I'll be recently up to date with the series.
( Last edited by akent35; Jun 11, 2014 at 01:20 PM. )

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2014, 04:40 PM

Just watched the most recent episode of Fargo. Top notch. Freeman's acting abilities have impressed.

Kind of sad it is these 10 episodes and done, but they sure are quality.

akent35
Banned
Jun 11, 2014, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
Just watched the most recent episode of Fargo. Top notch. Freeman's acting abilities have impressed.

Kind of sad it is these 10 episodes and done, but they sure are quality.
Yeah, Martin Freeman is sure good as Lester! Also, Billy Bob Thornton as Lorne Malvo, and Allison Tolman as Molly Stevenson are top notch too!

And yeah, it's a bummer that there are only 10 episodes this season. Hopefully, there will be a Season 2 (I'll be closely watching any such announcement). There is this, that "hints" at a Season 2:

http://www.eonline.com/news/549488/f...moment-over-it

I would be real surprised if FX does not offer a Season 2 of this superior series! As it is, they did it for the two excellent series The Americans and The Bridge. Series 3 of The Americans has already been announced:

http://tvline.com/2014/04/16/the-ame...-3-renewed-fx/

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/fx-t...-third-season/

I'm betting The Bridge will also be renewed for a third season.
( Last edited by akent35; Jun 11, 2014 at 05:56 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2014, 09:54 AM

I have heard many good things about Fargo so will try to pick it up.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2014, 10:29 AM

Fargo is great, it's a week behind here so there's the last 2 episodes to go.

I like Orphan Black a lot, I've watched all of them upto S2E7 (I think)

I did think the accents, especially Sarah's Brit accent, were a bit iffy at the beginning, but it's either got better or I've got used to it. And from the filming and editing side...

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by akent35 View Post
Yeah, Martin Freeman is sure good as Lester! Also, Billy Bob Thornton as Lorne Malvo, and Allison Tolman as Molly Stevenson are top notch too!

And yeah, it's a bummer that there are only 10 episodes this season. Hopefully, there will be a Season 2 (I'll be closely watching any such announcement). There is this, that "hints" at a Season 2:

Fargo Boss Hints That Season Two Probably Won’t Have the Same Leads, and We’re Having a Moment Over It | E! Online

I would be real surprised if FX does not offer a Season 2 of this superior series! As it is, they did it for the two excellent series The Americans and The Bridge. Series 3 of The Americans has already been announced:

‘The Americans’ Season 3 — FX Renews Cold War Drama | TVLine

FX's 'The Americans' Renewed For Season 3

I'm betting The Bridge will also be renewed for a third season.
The thing that makes me iffy about another season is that the Coen Brothers are producers on Fargo. It's why the series so closely resembles the movie (one of my #1 favorites) in tone and pacing. I'm just not sure if the Coen Bros will be doing more TV, but I sure hope it gets a second season.

akent35
Banned
Jun 12, 2014, 12:41 PM

The thing that makes me iffy about another season is that the Coen Brothers are producers on Fargo. It's why the series so closely resembles the movie (one of my #1 favorites) in tone and pacing. I'm just not sure if the Coen Bros will be doing more TV, but I sure hope it gets a second season.
Possibly, but some more $$$$$ could cure that! I really hope there is a Season 2. It worked real well for FX with The Americans, and I'm betting Season 2 of The Bridge will be a success too.

By the way, Fox, which owns FX, did the same thing with another winner, The Following. Season 2 completed in late April, and it did real well. And, there is going to be a Season 3:

'The Following' Renewed for Season 3; 'Almost Human's Fate Still Uncertain

So, I find it hard to believe that FX will let Fargo "go away", so to speak. And, especially if they have the same "one-two" punch in the 10 PM time slot on consecutive nights: Fargo on Tuesdays, and The Americans on Wednesdays. I suspect, though, that The Americans will start up again in late January (shortly after Season 3 of The Following starts), as they did with Season 1. Season 2, I suspect, was purposely timed to start after the completion of the Soschi Olympics, which ended on the fourth Sunday of February. Real clever move on their part!
( Last edited by akent35; Jun 12, 2014 at 01:12 PM. )

akent35
Banned
Jun 16, 2014, 12:46 PM

Well, last night I watched the 1996 movie Fargo, and while it is good, I actually like the TV series better. Don't get me wrong, the movie is well done, and the acting is real good. But, here are my reasons for liking the TV series better:

1. Martin Freeman is much better as Lester Nygaard than William Macy was as Jerry Lundegaard. Lester, on the surface, appears not as "sharp" as Jerry was.

That alone is priceless!

2. Billy Bob Thornton, as Lorne Malvo, is definitely better as the cold blooded killer than Peter Stormare, as Gaear Grimsrud, was. Malvo is just so cool about how he goes about his killings!

3. Having Coin Hanks as the other police officer (Officer Gus Grimly) is another good fit. Such a character does not exist in the movie.

I will say, though, that Frances MacDormand, as the pregnant police chief Marge Gunderson investigating the murders, is very good, as is Allison Tolman as the deputy Molly Solverson.

I am getting more and more pumped up for the season finale, which airs tomorrow night!
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Jun 18, 2014 at 02:17 PM. )

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2014, 05:35 PM

I watched ep 9 of Fargo lastnight, gawd it was tense!!!

Finale next Sunday night here. Can't wait

akent35
Banned
Jun 17, 2014, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
I watched ep 9 of Fargo lastnight, gawd it was tense!!!

Finale next Sunday night here. Can't wait
Yeah, I know what you mean! (I just EMailed my oldest son, who lives and works in London, about the show). Finale will be tonight, here in the US! I am also so, so pumped about it! Really hope there's a Season 2.
( Last edited by akent35; Jun 17, 2014 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Added Notifying my Son)

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2014, 08:37 AM

***spoiler alert***

The series finale of Fargo sucks donkey balls.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2014, 04:39 PM

Fitting end to Fargo? Characters acting (stupidly) out of character? Major plot holes? Boring ends to great characters. The storyline fizzling out instead of a climax? Bah!

andi*pandi
Jun 18, 2014, 04:43 PM

On the bright side, I quite liked this week's episode of Orphan Black.

Thorzdad
Jun 18, 2014, 05:02 PM

On the bright side, I quite liked this week's episode of Orphan Black.
I love that show.

Can't wait for whatever craziness happens in the finale this Saturday.

andi*pandi
Jun 18, 2014, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post

That was a long time coming. My only thought on that scene was at the ending,

akent35
Banned
Jun 18, 2014, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
Fitting end to Fargo? Characters acting (stupidly) out of character? Major plot holes? Boring ends to great characters. The storyline fizzling out instead of a climax? Bah!
Not sure if I would characterize it that badly, but yeah, it was a disappointing end. I was really hoping for other things to occur, so that a "basis" for a Season 2 could be established. But, it looks like that is not going to happen.

Too bad, as it was one of the best series on TV. I just hope that "Tyrant", which starts on Tuesday on FX, in the same time slot, is as good. I am, though, expecting that season 2 of The Bridge (premiere Wednesday, July 9th, at 10 PM on FX) will be good.

Thorzdad
Jun 18, 2014, 06:44 PM

That was a long time coming. My only thought on that scene was at the ending,

I've seen discussions elsewhere about that scene. One source reported that...

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2014, 07:25 PM

Not sure if I would characterize it that badly, but yeah, it was a disappointing end. I was really hoping for other things to occur, so that a "basis" for a Season 2 could be established. But, it looks like that is not going to happen.
Yeah, I was hoping for some delicious twist, but the way they wrapped it... might as well just have characters disappearing into a hole.

Oh wait...

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2014, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
Yeah, I was hoping for some delicious twist, but the way they wrapped it... might as well just have characters disappearing into a hole.

Oh wait...
Why the surprise? This is exactly how the movie ended:

The only thing I felt unresolved in was

Everything else I was happy with.

akent35
Banned
Jun 20, 2014, 08:06 PM

Why the surprise? This is exactly how the movie ended:

The only thing I felt unresolved in was

Everything else I was happy with.
I of course cannot state anything specific about this (not sure if and when anyone can do that), but to me, I see plenty of significant differences between the movie and the series. Not sure, though, if those would make a difference as to establishing a "basis" for a Season 2. And, of course, as was stated above, with the Coen Brothers as Executive Producers, it would have been difficult not to have similarities between the movie and TV series.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2014, 06:11 AM

Started watching Fargo last night and ended up turning it off at the part where Marttn Freeman gets cornered by some big dude and punched in the face.

When or how does that happen? Ugh.

akent35
Banned
Jun 21, 2014, 01:28 PM

Started watching Fargo last night and ended up turning it off at the part where Marttn Freeman gets cornered by some big dude and punched in the face.

When or how does that happen? Ugh.
Too bad you got turned off by that. But, as the old saying goes, if you watch some more, you'll see "what goes around comes around". And, Martin Freeman (Lester) is quite cunning.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2014, 09:40 PM

Well it just seemed pretty unrealistic and forced.

akent35
Banned
Jun 22, 2014, 01:39 PM

Well it just seemed pretty unrealistic and forced.
I myself did not see it that way, as to me, it is another example of both "re-bullying", and that there are some crazy people in this world. But, I can understand your perception, as one would expect mature individuals to not resort to such things.

andi*pandi
Jun 22, 2014, 07:09 PM

Season 2 Longmire is a nice refreshing change of pace from the other tv I've been watching. I started season 2 orange is the new black, and took a break with Longmire... I think I'm enjoying it more.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2014, 10:02 PM

Rectify. Check it out.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2014, 10:18 AM

Watched Fargo ep10 lastnight, are we still spoilering things now that the series has ended?
One way they could go if there is a series 2 is to pick up on the references to Sioux Falls in 1979.

One thing I've found out about the names on the tapes in Lorne Malvo's briefcase...

akent35
Banned
Jun 23, 2014, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Watched Fargo ep10 lastnight, are we still spoilering things now that the series has ended?
One way they could go if there is a series 2 is to pick up on the references to Sioux Falls in 1979.

One thing I've found out about the names on the tapes in Lorne Malvo's briefcase...

Interesting about the names on the tapes. Thanks for that. When I clicked the link "inside" the spoiler alert, and then clicked other, further links, I learned some more fascinating things about the various characters.

I also don't know how much longer spoilers will be necessary, as I have some thoughts about the series and movie not being that "similar", given all the significant differences. But, maybe that's for another day.

Going to miss it! As of now, no announcement of a Season 2.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2014, 05:49 AM

Season 2 Longmire is a nice refreshing change of pace from the other tv I've been watching. I started season 2 orange is the new black, and took a break with Longmire... I think I'm enjoying it more.
Its completely different to any other 'crime drama', very low-tech, Indian mix, plus the history of his wife. I'll wait until S3 is finished to start watching again.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2014, 09:25 AM

I finished season 1 of Rectify last night (it was only 6 episodes and with all my other shows finished, only took a week). Wow...super interesting show, very good first season.

Apparently season 2 started Sunday night so it just so happened to be perfect timing.

Still have not made it back to Fargo unfortunately...it may be one of those shows that I will have to work my way back around to down the road.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2014, 12:11 PM

I just housed all 13 episodes of S01 Orange Is The New Black. I have not done anything like that in a very long time. Quite engrossing.

akent35
Banned
Jun 24, 2014, 01:03 PM

I finished season 1 of Rectify last night (it was only 6 episodes and with all my other shows finished, only took a week). Wow...super interesting show, very good first season.

Apparently season 2 started Sunday night so it just so happened to be perfect timing.

Still have not made it back to Fargo unfortunately...it may be one of those shows that I will have to work my way back around to down the road.
Starting last Friday, and until the Fargo series finale on Tuesday, I also kind of did something similar. I re-watched the first 5 episodes through Sunday, then watched the original movie, and finished the last 4 episodes of the season by 8 PM Tuesday evening, 2 hours before the season finale. All of that got me well prepared for the finale.

Even though the ending of the movie was revealing, it was different enough that it did not spoil the ending for me in the season finale. As I mentioned previously, there are too many significant differences between the movie and the series.

Tonight, I'll watch the series premiere of Tyrant, on FX, and in the same time slot as Fargo was. Hopefully, it will be good. But, the one I am really looking forward to is the Season 2 premiere of The Bridge, also on FX, starting Wednesday, July 9th, at 10 PM. Season 1 was excellent, well, well done, and the acting was superb! I am truly expecting Season 2 to be as good, just like The Americans and The Following was. (I will also re-watch all of Season 1 of The Bridge, most likely starting tonight. At least I have two weeks to accomplish that).

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2014, 02:16 PM

I just housed all 13 episodes of S01 Orange Is The New Black. I have not done anything like that in a very long time. Quite engrossing.
Season 2 was also excellent. That show is a treat.

akent35
Banned
Jun 24, 2014, 08:31 PM

Well, I just finished watching the first 4 episodes of the first season of Justified, and while it is good, so far, at least to me, it is not as "catching" as either Fargo, nor seasons 1 of The Following, The Americans, and The Bridge. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying it so far. I am just hoping it gets better. Timothy Olyphant is quite good as the "Cowboy" US Marshall, Raylan Givens.

I will keep watching. I'm curious, though, if Season 2, Season 3, etc. are better.

andi*pandi
Jun 24, 2014, 08:57 PM

You will not regret it.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2014, 09:09 PM

i've watched all of Justified. I can't say that it's a great show and it's prone to silliness, but it's certainly enjoyable when it gets going.

akent35
Banned
Jun 25, 2014, 12:51 PM

Well, I watched the Season premiere of Tyrant on FX, and so far, it's good. However, just like Justified, it did not "catch me" as well as the premieres of Fargo, The Americans, The Bridge, and The Following. It does, though, have quite a few good points. I will watch it again next week.

Did also watch Episodes 5 and 6 of Season 1 of Justified, and it is getting more interesting. I am going to continue watching it, although I also have to re-watch Season 1 of The Bridge prior to the Season 2 premiere two weeks from tonight. For Season 2, according to what I read in the new TV Guide issue, Season 2 will be, in some respects, rather different than Season 1. Those differences, though, will be revealing, and also intriguing. Can't wait!

P
Jun 28, 2014, 03:02 PM

IMHO, Justified always ends its seasons well, but it can get silly in the middle. Season 2 is the best, simply because it has the best villains.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

akent35
Banned
Jun 28, 2014, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
IMHO, Justified always ends its seasons well, but it can get silly in the middle. Season 2 is the best, simply because it has the best villains.
Thanks for that. I have not watched any since the other day, finishing Episode 6 of Season 1. But, so far I am liking it better and better. I'm also looking forward to see the role Marge Martindale plays. She is fabulous as Claudia in her (brief) appearances in The Americans. I see where she won an Emmy Award and a Critics' Choice Television Award for her recurring role as Mags Bennett on Justified, and in 2013, she was nominated for an Emmy Award for her recurring role as Claudia on The Americans. Good for her!

However, and more importantly, I have to finish re-watching all of season 1 of The Bridge, so that I am fully prepared for the Season 2 premiere on Wednesday, July 9th. Yesterday, we had a short (less than 2 hours) power outage, and prior to my wife coming back from her walk, I started re-watching the first episode on my Mac Book Air. Glad I did, as I missed some subtle things. But, I could only watch 20 minutes of it, as we went out for most of the day. Will try and continue it today (but we're going out again later, after dinner).
( Last edited by akent35; Jun 29, 2014 at 01:53 PM. )

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2014, 04:36 PM

Meanwhile... in the UK.

Dr Who is back on the 23rd August with a feature length intro to the new doctor.

VERY excited.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

P
Jun 29, 2014, 09:22 AM

I'm also looking forward to see the role Marge Martindale plays.
That was the villain I was referring to, yes. Excellent.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Meanwhile... in the UK.

Dr Who is back on the 23rd August with a feature length intro to the new doctor.

VERY excited.
Its about time.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

akent35
Banned
Jun 29, 2014, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
That was the villain I was referring to, yes. Excellent.
Super! Her ruthless role in The Americans is well done, and Philip and Elizabeth despise her. And, that hatred is bound to get worse, given what she told them about their daughter in the Season 2 finale. I'm betting she is even better in Justified.

akent35
Banned
Jul 2, 2014, 11:28 AM

It looks like the new FX series Tyrant could be a winner. Last night's episode was done real well, with plenty of new developments. I would recommend it.

Starting next week, I'll have two consecutive nights of series to watch: Episode 3 of Tyrant on Tuesday, and the Season 2 premiere of The Bridge the following night. Not sure, though, if I'll watch the season premiere of The Strain on Sunday, July 13th. But, at least my late Tuesday and Wednesday evenings will be enjoyable.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2014, 12:10 PM

P l e a s e, put spoiler tags around stuff like this : And, that hatred is bound to get worse, given what she told them about their daughter in the Season 2 finale

Forum Links
Forum Rules