Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > B&W Laser printer reccomendations?

B&W Laser printer reccomendations?
jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2004, 01:17 PM

I'm looking for a B&W laser printer in the $200-$300 range.

Important features needed are good OS X drivers, at least 12 or 15 pages per minute, decent build quality. What can you suggest?
12" AlBook • 15" Albook • G4 Cube • iSight • Original iPod • PB 100 • Newton 110 • Quicktake 100

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2004, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by jld:
I'm looking for a B&W laser printer in the $200-$300 range.

Important features needed are good OS X drivers, at least 12 or 15 pages per minute, decent build quality. What can you suggest?
I'd suggest going out to Staples, OfficeMax or other office supply store and see what they have. Although you'll still find Windows-only printers, most of the printers today are cross-platform. Brother makes some models that are decent. My dad has a Samsung ML 1750 which prints very quickly (compared to any Epson or even HP inkjet) and has decent quality. HP has a cheap one. I'd go to CNet.com go to reviews then peripherals->laser printers and search for <$200. you'll come up with a number of results. My dad's Samsung is the perfect size, has decent paper capacity, an output try that will hold 100 sheets or so. He didn't buy it because of its features, he bought it because he saw that the model had a mail-in-rebate in a Sunday-paper circular. In this price range, make sure it at least can hold 250 sheets of paper, has a real output tray, 600DPI resolution, etc. Although they mostly all have these features. You may also want to check and see how much toner cartridges are to replace.

OreoCookie
Jul 15, 2004, 11:07 PM

Kyocera FS-1010 or FS1020D.

Excellent built quality and cheap toner, they have Postscript and PCl, so they will work on any platform.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 11:24 PM

Don't get the Brother HL 1440, I hate this POS

galarneau
Senior User
Jul 16, 2004, 01:11 AM

I just bought an Apple LaserWriter 16/600 on eBay for $69 bucks.

Does 16ppm and has an engine rated for 450,000 pages.

Also has ethernet built-in. (gonna try plugging it into my Airport base station) :-)

I bought it because the new laser printers I saw for $100-200 looked pretty fragile, and one (a Brother model) had to have the drum changed for $130 at 20,000 pages. That's more than the friggin' printer.

From what others have told me the old HP's and LaserWriters are workhorse printers that will last a hell-of-a-long time.

At least I hope so, or I just bought a $69 paper-weight.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2004, 02:28 AM

Ya the brother at work sucks.

We just got an HP 1300 and it is amazing. Wonderful phone support and OSX drivers.
Now if only their inkjets were as good.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules