Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How soon will you be camping out for an iPhone?

How soon will you be camping out for an iPhone?
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2007, 12:19 AM

What time do you guys plan on arriving to the Apple/AT&T store on 6/29?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2007, 12:50 AM

I'm still forming my final plan of attack, but so far my plan is this:

When my local Apple Store opens for business in the morning, I will go there and check out the situation (I work a few blocks away from it). I will go and check the scene every hour or so. The point at which I ditch work and grab my place in line will be determined by how long the line is each time I check.

As a backup, I will also be taking a peek at my local AT&T shops, of which I have 2 that are close enough to where I work to check in on.

If things are looking bad (meaning, there are an azzload more people there than I expect) I will have my girlfriend check out other shops, including the other Apple Store which is a few miles away.

That's all I got so far. The plan could easily change before the zero hour.

(I can't believe I'm going to do this.)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2007, 05:46 AM

I'm probably going to do something sort of similar. There appears to only be one place in town that will be selling the iPhone (an AT&T store). So I will go earlier in the day to check things out. I might go to a nearby bookstore/cafe and stay there for a while, checking back occasionally. Unless it looks like it's going to be crazy, I'm probably going to go a little before they close at 4. I don't relish the idea of standing out in the heat for 2 hours, but I guess it's worth it.

I really don't know how this thing is going to pan out. I hope there are a fair number of people lining up across the country, or else it'll look bad for the iPhone, but of course I don't want it to be so bad that I can't get one. In my case, I live in a college town, so we have a lot of Mac users, but of course most of them are probably not going to be able to afford an iPhone.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2007, 09:33 AM

Morning on the 29th at AT&T, chair, water, sandwiches, friend, wait.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2007, 10:30 AM

I'm probably going to the Short Hills or Menlo Park store as early as I can.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2007, 02:31 PM

I was in the neighborhood, so I stopped by the local Cingular store that will be carrying the iPhone. Strangely, the woman there contradicted what I had been told earlier (and what I had been reading) by saying that they would stay open from 4 to 6. It may be that the woman I talked to didn't know what she was talking about. She did say that they had been getting at least 20 calls a day about the iPhone. She also said that they would have a section of the store reserved for people waiting for the iPhone. It'd be nice if they didn't close, since it would be much easier to wait inside an air-conditioned store than outside.

Phil333
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2007, 03:58 PM

Do you guys think the Apple store on 5th avenue (the one that is open 24 hours a day) will still have stock left like first thing Saturday morning, like 7am or something like that? I have to imagine that store, with its $5 million glass cube in the biggest city in the country, will be getting hundreds if not thousands of iPhones. But I dunno. What you guys think?

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2007, 05:41 PM

I don't know. Im planning on stopping by the 5th avenue store friday night to check it out. I'm 90% sold on getting an iPhone, I need a new phone, and I'm starting a new job 7/1. I just left a job, and had a blackberry 8700 which I loved. I want to wait a day or 2 to at least get to play with one and see how the keyboard works - that may be a critical error, if they're sold out. But I hope NYC will have a lot....

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2007, 02:29 PM

I'm going to go up to Cherry Creek at about 3 and keep an eye out on the Apple Store. When Tiger came out, they put it up for sale at 4, and it was supposed to be out at 6, maybe they'll roll out the iPhones a bit early.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 24, 2007, 04:01 PM

I would think everyone (at least at Apple stores) would be following the instructions to the letter for fear of facing the Wrath of Steve.

jersey
Senior User
Jun 24, 2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I'm probably going to the Short Hills or Menlo Park store as early as I can.
Might I suggest Short Hills. I have a friend who works there, and they are expecting the largest phone shipment in NJ

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2007, 06:52 PM

No camping out for me. I'm not going to waste vacation or sick leave just to get a phone. I'll head over to the AT&T that is about 1 mile from where I work at about 5:15 pm. If I get one, I get one. If not, I'll wait a few weeks or order from Apple Store online.

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2007, 08:07 PM

I'm thinking of well, going a few hours later Friday night to my local Apple store (one of the ones on Long Island, New York). I physically have no way of getting there before 7 or 8, so I might as well go like an hour before they close... maybe they'll have a couple left...

suhail
Senior User
Jun 24, 2007, 09:41 PM

I just got my wife and I a couple of cool cases from iQase and we should be out there before 4:00 p.m.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2007, 10:38 AM

I'm still on the fence about getting one now or waiting until later. I'm in meetings with clients all day on Friday, so I'll probably drive by the local AT&T stores and the Apple Store in the evening, just to see if they are packed or not. If not, I may go in and let my techno-geek impulses take me over.

If they are packed (which I'm guessing they will be), then I'll go home, have a beer, and wait for you guys to post your experiences/photos here (this of course will probably push me over the edge, and I'll end up back at the stores the following day )

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2007, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by suhail View Post
I just got my wife and I a couple of cool cases from iQase and we should be out there before 4:00 p.m.

those are some nice cases

the store or location is right down the street from me, i'm going to call and see if there's local pick up available

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2007, 11:09 AM

just called the guy, very nice, i'll be picking one up

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2007, 12:56 PM

Man this is starting to annoy me. AT&T really needs to release the pricing info. People need to start making decisions this week, and the monthly price is a major part of that decision.

If they don't release the info by Friday, I think I may just order it online.

...I probably know the answer to this, but does anyone have any idea how ordering online will work? If the iTunes activation is right, you can just order from Apple.com and when you get it activate it right through iTunes, hopefully with the number switching and all. This sound about right to anyone?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2007, 12:58 PM

There's still something I don't know. If you're already an AT&T customer, are you forced to get a 2-year EXTENSION on your current contract? Is the price the same?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2007, 01:14 PM

Assuming nothing has changed, I believe getting it will involve a 2-year extension, yes. I believe the price would be the same. But of course this is all speculation until they release the details.

Forum Links
Forum Rules