Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who has the Fastest Mac in the World?

Who has the Fastest Mac in the World? (Page 2)
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2003, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
The reason I don't own a Mac\
maybe you should learn why we own macs.

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2003, 01:11 AM

I already know why.

It feels better.

or something subjective like that.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 09:39 AM

Sorry, Ca$h. Your decade-old two-and-a-half ton Japanese luxo-barge from a number 27th ranked manufacturer couldn't hit 120MPH six months ago and it's only gotten older and slower by now. Like I was saying back then - my Chevy pickup has a better power to weight ratio than your portly, underpowered Subaru (makers of high-performance cars, according to Ca$h. But I can't think of one).
The BRAT, maybe?
-----------------------------------------------

Steve Jobs doesn't know anything about computers else he would openly admit his company's products aren't competitive. Although he probably knows a lot about interior trim levels and options for Gulfstream business jets.

Subaru... obviously the car that won Subaru WRC manufacturer titles 3 years in a row does not count as high performance to you???

Steve Jobs built a computer company, you built an copper computer... so you are think you know more then him?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2003, 12:39 PM

I already know why.

It feels better.

or something subjective like that.
hmm. all im saying is most mac users arent immediately impressed with speed. of course it helps, but that something certainly keeps a hell of a lot of us loyal to our store bought plastic boxes.

what the hell do you do with those server processor based compys you build anyway? besides scan the universe for blipping radio waves. i can totally understand if its just the "building" part that youre more into. it seems to be that way...

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2003, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
hmm. all im saying is most mac users arent immediately impressed with speed. of course it helps, but that something certainly keeps a hell of a lot of us loyal to our store bought plastic boxes.
Actually, I was only joking about the 'feels better' comment. After a couple years of reading these forums (I read all of them, not just the Lounge) it's pretty hard to miss the reasons why people like Macs. Besides all that, the fact that I've never had one is reason enough for me to want one. It's my nature.

what the hell do you do with those server processor based compys you build anyway? besides scan the universe for blipping radio waves. i can totally understand if its just the "building" part that youre more into. it seems to be that way...
This is the really wierd part.

Mostly I surf the internet and occasionally I'll play a few games on 'em. They all spend some time being my 'main PC'. I participate in distributing computing projects, as well.

I had a pair of dual processor Compaq rackmount servers mounted in a lowboy rolling rack sitting in my livingroom. I overclocked them and let 'em run a Quake3 demo server and SETI.

Usually, I get bored pretty quick and trade the expensive parts or sell them or in the case of a few pairs of ES Xeons - they get confiscated.

I've got most of the cases sitting around, but only 2 survive that are complete and operational. My current 'Cinderella' 2.8 P4 and the mini-ITX based videopoker thingy.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 01:45 PM

Boys with toys.

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2003, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by mrmister:
Boys with toys.
so you have a plastic puter, I presume?

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 02:24 PM

There's a couple articles on XLR8YourMac on putting Macs into ATX cases, you might take a look: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems.html

Tatran68
Banned
Jun 11, 2003, 03:30 PM

This is dumb. So you'll have the fastest mac for a few days. Then Apple will release a new computer, and you'll have dropped a bunch of money into nothing.

Woop-dee-****ing do.

I thought overclocking and stuff was cool when I was 15. It still is cool, but I'm not going to be all 'hard core' badass about it like you are.

- Rob

Tatran68
Banned
Jun 11, 2003, 03:33 PM

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2003, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by Tatran68:
This is dumb. So you'll have the fastest mac for a few days. Then Apple will release a new computer, and you'll have dropped a bunch of money into nothing.

Woop-dee-****ing do.
You dropped money on your secretary-mobile Neon for 'performance parts' and your Neon was NEVER fast - much less 'the fastest for a few days'. We won't bother to discuss the drilled rotors and the 4,500lb Subaru sports car. oops. we did.

I thought overclocking and stuff was cool when I was 15. It still is cool, but I'm not going to be all 'hard core' badass about it like you are.

- Rob
I know last year seems so long ago.

and you're right...you're not likely to ever be confused with somebody who is 'hardcore' or 'badass'. Especially not while you drive a Subaru.

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 06:44 AM

Actually, I was only joking about the 'feels better' comment. After a couple years of reading these forums (I read all of them, not just the Lounge) it's pretty hard to miss the reasons why people like Macs. Besides all that, the fact that I've never had one is reason enough for me to want one. It's my nature.

This is the really wierd part.

Mostly I surf the internet and occasionally I'll play a few games on 'em. They all spend some time being my 'main PC'. I participate in distributing computing projects, as well.

I had a pair of dual processor Compaq rackmount servers mounted in a lowboy rolling rack sitting in my livingroom. I overclocked them and let 'em run a Quake3 demo server and SETI.

Usually, I get bored pretty quick and trade the expensive parts or sell them or in the case of a few pairs of ES Xeons - they get confiscated.

I've got most of the cases sitting around, but only 2 survive that are complete and operational. My current 'Cinderella' 2.8 P4 and the mini-ITX based videopoker thingy.
well hey, why not just get a nice powerbook with airport etc and keep your pc's for your overclocking/case modding needs?

if you still want to juice up a powermac maybe you should search for info at
www.xlr8yourmac.com because apparently it's not very likely you'll get your questions answered here.

sad to see that it has turned in yet another personal slam fest, yeah you've been on my ignore list a few times but wtf.

palmberg
Senior User
Jun 12, 2003, 11:57 AM

How is it that no one has linked to the "Is my dick big?" thread yet?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2003, 12:17 PM

I know last year seems so long ago.

and you're right...you're not likely to ever be confused with somebody who is 'hardcore' or 'badass'. Especially not while you drive a Subaru.

andi*pandi
Jun 12, 2003, 02:22 PM

...you're not likely to ever be confused with somebody who is 'hardcore' or 'badass'. Especially not while you drive a Subaru.
hey now, best not knock subarus too much, or hordes of angry lesbians will come round to kick your ass.

http://cartalk.cars.com/About/Gay-Le...ay-chick1.html

I'm not sure why this is funny. But it is.

Tatran68
Banned
Jun 12, 2003, 03:16 PM

You dropped money on your secretary-mobile Neon for 'performance parts' and your Neon was NEVER fast - much less 'the fastest for a few days'. We won't bother to discuss the drilled rotors and the 4,500lb Subaru sports car. oops. we did.

Nope, it wasn't FAST. It was quick though. And it handled GREAT. As for the Subie, it weighs 3525 lbs, which is 10 lbs more than a Supra MKIV.

So why is it good to be all 'badass' about overclocking?

You could at least get drunk and put it in a fridge and get progressively more drunk while doing the project. I remember some guys did that with a PC once.

- Rob

Tatran68
Banned
Jun 12, 2003, 03:21 PM

PS: Spliff, how about if I upload a video of my car doing over 120, you give me one of your PCs.

klinux
Senior User
Jun 12, 2003, 04:48 PM

I used a Via Epia motherboard with a 800MHz C3 Erza (Samuel-2 core) processor inside the bar-top video poker TV-tuner thingy. <snip> Performance in WindowsXP is downright snappy - feels like an Athlon at over 1GHz - yet benchmark scores place it alongside a Pentium2 400.
Mini-ITX is definitely cool but my SV24 using a 900 Mhz C3 chip definitely feels much much slower than a Duron 800 machine.

Great mods, BTW.

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2003, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by Tatran68:
PS: Spliff, how about if I upload a video of my car doing over 120, you give me one of your PCs.
Speaking of Subarus...

drive it like you stole it:

http://www.piratefleet.com/HILLBILLY/subaru.mpeg

and no, I can't give you a PC in exchange for a video of your car doing 120mph. Besides, how will I know you didn't get one of your buddies to push it up to speed with his Chevy S-10 pickup?

I'll get back to you in a few minutes. I just sparked up a fat-ass joint.

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2003, 06:17 AM

rjenkison's first post has said all that need be said on this subject.

Next please.

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2003, 10:51 AM

^

plastic computer owner

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2003, 11:26 AM

^

plastic computer owner
yea you have to hate those space age materials... i am currently building a computer out of paperclips, mud, and iron ore... it is going to r0x0r your 5hitty silicon machines

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2003, 12:48 AM

and no, I can't give you a PC in exchange for a video of your car doing 120mph. Besides, how will I know you didn't get one of your buddies to push it up to speed with his Chevy S-10 pickup?
in my drunked state, one ofthe finest flames ever posted.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2003, 01:53 PM

Speaking of Subarus...

drive it like you stole it:

http://www.piratefleet.com/HILLBILLY/subaru.mpeg
I thought all subarus were all wheel drive?

Anyway if you wanna have the fastest Mac...
If you want thes fastest single processor, you can buy an older G4 motherboard on ebay, buy a 1.4GHz proc upgrade and water cool it and OC the **** out of it. If you wanna stay dual, you'll have ot buy an actual Apple Dual 1.4 GHz Mac and water cool it and overclock it. A very expensive project, sepecially since rumor is monday we'll have dual 2GHz.

For options 1 it looks like $600 for the processor and probably $100-200 for an older G4 motherboard. If you wan't a dual, the best price on a new one from Apple is $2283. While you could take that mac, gut it, and put it in a custom case, the coolest thing you could do is have the cooling unit seperate and have all the hoses go through holes in the back of the computer. What you wanna do, you can't and the reason is that Mac processor upgrades are priced based on how much a new Mac of that speed is, instead of how much it costs to make the upgrade. $600 for a single 1.4GHz proc is cheaper than a new Mac, but still a hell of alot of money. Assuming the rumors are true, just buy a dual 2Ghz monday and watercool/OC it. Not only will you be the fastest but youll be the first to do it to one of those. Plus you can't beat 64bit processing power :-P

Oooops its off-topic to be on-topic these days.

Forum Links
Forum Rules