Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Network User at Login?

Network User at Login?
ramberk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2002, 12:36 AM

Let me tell you what I want to do, then you can tell me if its possible or if I should go about it differently.

I have a computer lab of 8 computers. I want to make one computer with 40 users on it. I want to have the other 7 computers be able to access any of the 40 user accounts on that single computer. All 8 computers are running OS X 10.1.5 client. So how do I do this? How can I login into any user account from any computer on the login? Is this possible?

Please don't tell me I have to get OS X server. How can I do this? I've looked extensively here and on the help guide but haven't found a thing.

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2002, 01:26 AM

You should look into NetBooting. Check it out here:

http://www.apple.com/server/netboot.html

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 21, 2002, 12:23 PM

Netboot requires Mac OS X Server, and besides, only OS X 10.2 can netboot.

Doing what you ask, ramberk, absolutely, positively, no-way-around-it, requires a server, and in this case, it'd have to be an OS X Server (OS X Server can run off an NT server, but not the client). However, at least in Mac OS X 10.1.5 and lower, there is a bug in Netinfo (which is responsible for user accounts) that causes the computer to crash frequently (with a kernel panic) when logged in with a network user, making it very unreliable to work on. I'd say to wait until it's known whether OS X Server 10.2 with 10.2 clients fixes this problem.

In the mean time, look at programs like MacAdministrator and the like.

tooki

[email protected]
Senior User
Aug 22, 2002, 05:43 PM

i'm having no problems using a network user and netifno domains on my home network.

i am running mac os x server on the 7600, and that is the only place my main username is definded on the network. i access clients running 10.1.5 and 1.2 without any problems.

of course if the 7600 went down, i would be completey stuck until it came back up. but if i clone the netinfo db to another machine, i'd have a fallback.

i did it all from the iinstructions in this book:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_...ingNetInfo.PDF

and after it was all said and done, i believe i could have pulled it off with vanilla os x (not server) it was all managed by netinfo on the server, and directory setup on the client.

it's very nifty...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 23, 2002, 12:33 AM

It's a known bug that Netinfo is unreliable when doing network logins. (For example, quitting Entourage causes a kernel panic every time.) Not every application triggers the bug, but it's common enough to be a significant problem.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules