Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > FS: Semi-broken PowerBook G3, pictures

FS: Semi-broken PowerBook G3, pictures
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2004, 12:02 PM

This is a PowerBook G3 from the Wallstreet series and it has these specifications:

233 MHz G3
512k L2 cache
12" active matrix screen
160 MB memory
2 GB hard drive
Spare 2 GB hard drive
CD-ROM drive
Zip 100 drive
Battery (lasts 15-20 minutes, maybe less, haven't tested in a while)
Yoyo power adapter

Overall it's in pretty good shape. The screen tends to be a bit dim but it's still an active matrix. The keys and palm rests still have most of their textured surface. The problem is with the motherboard. It seems to have a bad IDE controller. Originally I thought it was the hard drive, so I bought a new one, but it gave me the same problem. When booting from a CD (which, btw, it does perfectly), I either cannot see the hard drive, or formatting fails. Sometimes the format is successful, but OS 9 fails to install. When I got this computer a few months ago it worked fine but now it seems to be dead. Again, it's able to boot from a CD just fine, it just has problems with the hard drive controller.

I'm asking $150 shipped for it. Great deal if you have the parts necessry to fix it.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2004, 12:28 AM

would you like to trade this for some computer parts? (1 day old intel motherboard, etc)
thanks bud -Paul
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

Luca Rescigno  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2004, 12:49 AM

Not really - I'm completely happy with the system I have right now. If you had some other doodads or gadgets you don't want anymore then I'd consider it, but my computer itself is in fine shape as it is.

I guess there's no harm in sending me a list of stuff you might be willing to trade. If I see something I really want then maybe I would open up to the idea.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2004, 01:02 AM

thanks for the reply! I'll get back to you a list tomm.
-paul
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

Forum Links
Forum Rules