Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > New Router Having Issues

New Router Having Issues
Dex13
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2005, 12:56 AM

I have an 802.11b router from netgear,
MR814
It works fine except for when I was downloading the new star wars trailer from bit torrent I couldn't connect to anyone even though i forwarded the right ports. Should I assign the ip for the forwarded ports to the router assinged ip or the actual ip?

And my router is having disconnecting issues it will just stop functionig all together even though it says it's still connected to the internet. No traffic will go in or out and the computers will say that they have been disconnected.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 27, 2005, 11:33 AM

BitTorrent is probably sucking up ALL of your bandwidth. It will try to establish as many connections as it can, unless you manually change the max connections setting to limit it.

I'm very uneasy with BitTorrent and similar P2P applications, since you have no control over what happens with your computer when someone is downloading from you, and I do not trust every BitTorrent client to be as secure as it MUST be to avoid someone pirating your personal information.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2005, 07:39 AM

What client are you using ? I've found Azureus to work in situations where the official client and Tomato Torrent would not. It also has a connection health indicators that highlight any common configuration errors you may be having AND, it has an on-the-fly control for transfer speeds that really work (e.g. I can have it set for unlimited uploads, change it to 15K/sec and visually watch the upload throttle back in a matter of seconds).

Also, you forward ports to the router-assigned ip (192.xxx.xxx.xxx). That's what port forwarding means ... forwarding requests from your "real" IP to one of the particular machines downstream of it. For BitTorrent, you'd be best off forwarding a range of ports ... I usually forward 6881-6999 on the rare occasions I use BitTorrent.

As far as disconnects .. check your router's settings ("idle timeout" should be set to zero). It also helps to use the LAN IP setup and hard code the machines downstream of the router to particular IP addresses. Otherwise, you BitTorrent machine may be 192.168.0.2 right now, but be assigned 192.168.0.4 the next time your service disconnects and reconnects (which screws up any port forwarding you may have set up). Routers just assign subnet IPs on the fly unless you tell them which machine gets which IP.
( Last edited by Krusty; Mar 31, 2005 at 07:47 AM. )

Dex13  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2005, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:

As far as disconnects .. check your router's settings ("idle timeout" should be set to zero). It also helps to use the LAN IP setup and hard code the machines downstream of the router to particular IP addresses. Otherwise, you BitTorrent machine may be 192.168.0.2 right now, but be assigned 192.168.0.4 the next time your service disconnects and reconnects (which screws up any port forwarding you may have set up). Routers just assign subnet IPs on the fly unless you tell them which machine gets which IP.
I'm 5 days out of warranty so I'm thinking of modding the damn router since on the netgear forums it seems that the router has heat issues and shuts down whenever it gets too hot. Can I put a standard pc fan in there? lol. Idk I paid $10 for the pos so might as well try to fix it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules