Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Dominican Republic never ceases to amaze me!

The Dominican Republic never ceases to amaze me!
Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2011, 02:13 PM

I've lived here 2 years and continue to be amazed. The level of corruption and incompetence is hard to match anywhere in the world.

Most recently, a huge section of the perimeter fencing at the Las Americas International Airport was stolen! Yes, you read that right. The security fence is gone and it's business as usual at the airport.

Just last month a small hole in the perimeter fence at Edinburgh Airport was deemed a security scare and resulted in evacuated terminals and delayed flights.

Gotta love the Third World!

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2011, 02:21 PM

You wouldn't have these problems if you used metric. Wait...

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2011, 02:59 PM

No, it's Obama's fault.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
No, it's Obama's fault.
That's probably true, but he'll blame it on Bush

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
That's probably true, but he'll blame it on Bush
And people that criticize him for doing so will forget that people saw it all happening long before Dubya even left office after bankrupting America.

It's all documented over in the Poli Lounge, ca. 2003.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2011, 07:49 PM

I went on holiday to the DR a couple of years back.

After picking up hire car at airport, which I had to pay again for insurance I'd already paid for in the UK, the holiday rep told me not to use it... "Danger of Death"

I ventured out , he wasn't kidding.

Guys on motorbikes passed either side at speed, towns particularly bad.

Off the main roads, potholes were as big as baths.

Gave up after a day and left car on car park.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2011, 09:46 PM

At least you have access to a localized version of the App Store now

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 23, 2011, 08:59 AM

Stealing fencing is an indication of the extreme level of poverty there. Not acting like a security fence is a big deal is an indication of how poorly run the airport, and probably the government's aviation authority are, which is directly correlated to the first point.

Everyone I've met from the Dominican Republic left for that sort of reason: grinding poverty with no hope of improvement. Poverty is not identical to "low cost of living," though it is typically coincident with "low standard of living." Somehow people still relocate to such places for "a cheap place to live," not really comprehending that they become "wealthy" by comparison to the locals and thus have other problems. I am not saying that Atheist moved there for that reason, but real estate people target military retirees here for their "move to an inexpensive paradise!" snake oil pitches...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNUK View Post
I went on holiday to the DR a couple of years back.

After picking up hire car at airport, which I had to pay again for insurance I'd already paid for in the UK, the holiday rep told me not to use it... "Danger of Death"

I ventured out , he wasn't kidding.

Guys on motorbikes passed either side at speed, towns particularly bad.

Off the main roads, potholes were as big as baths.

Gave up after a day and left car on car park.
This is a very dangerous place to drive. Dominicans have their own set of rules when it comes to driving. Many of them make no sense but since they all follow them it still somehow works. A classic example is frequently when you are making a left turn onto a main road and someone is approaching from the right and intending to turn left onto the road you are on, they will turn in behind you. Even if there is another car behind you... they will squeeze in and then expect you to pull up so they can get through. Traffic circles can be a nightmare. They often expect the people in the circle to yield to the traffic entering the circle. Makes no sense at all. The motorcycles drive both ways on the shoulders (if there are shoulders otherwise they stick to the right side of the lane... all while driving against traffic). People pass like crazy. I am almost daily having to dodge on-coming traffic in my lane. They pass on blind corners. I could go on and on. What's worse is that if I were ever in an accident I'll be screwed. Since I'm a gringo it will be my fault regardless... and if someone is injured I'll be hauled off to jail until I pay off the "victim" and the police.

Tourists should never drive here.

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Stealing fencing is an indication of the extreme level of poverty there. Not acting like a security fence is a big deal is an indication of how poorly run the airport, and probably the government's aviation authority are, which is directly correlated to the first point.

Everyone I've met from the Dominican Republic left for that sort of reason: grinding poverty with no hope of improvement. Poverty is not identical to "low cost of living," though it is typically coincident with "low standard of living." Somehow people still relocate to such places for "a cheap place to live," not really comprehending that they become "wealthy" by comparison to the locals and thus have other problems. I am not saying that Atheist moved there for that reason, but real estate people target military retirees here for their "move to an inexpensive paradise!" snake oil pitches...
Yeah... the fencing was stolen for scrap. I still don't understand why the major airlines aren't fussing over this blatant security lapse.

I have a tendency to dwell on the negatives here and the poverty is definitely one of the things that gets to me. People work 10-12 hour days at the resorts and earn $150 a month. I don't know how they get by.

You're right about the "wealthy by comparison" thing. It's difficult to not be seen here as a target. Everyone is trying to take advantage of you. There's gringo prices and local prices.

On the flip side, there's plenty of people that have moved here and love it. It's what you make of it. As long as you know what you are getting into you should be fine.

For me, I'm just ready to leave.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
For me, I'm just ready to leave.
Move here - Low taxes, great infrastructure & safe.

Quality Migrant Admission Scheme

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post

I doubt it's the best place for a bi-national interracial gay couple. That's why we're in the DR. No immigration issues. I don't even meet the passing mark for immigration (I get a 75 and the minimum is 80).

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2011, 06:30 PM

What country are you originally from?

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
What country are you originally from?
I'm from the US. My partner is Trinidadian.

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Jul 26, 2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post

I just squeaked by with an 80 Abu Dhabi has treated me fairly well, and I hope to stay here for a while: tax free, adequate infrastructure & safe.

Unfortunately I can't recommend it for you as same-sex couples face a hefty fine and deportation if discovered.
are you lightfooted?

Forum Links
Forum Rules