Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > "Mariam is of no use to me"

"Mariam is of no use to me"
vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2005, 01:31 PM

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1350157,000900010002.htm?headline='Tortured~Ma riam~of~no~use~to~me'

�Mariam mere kaam ki nahin rahi (Marriyam is of no use to me now).� That's Mohammed Hussain, husband of Mariam Begum, whose ears and nose were chopped off by terrorists in 2004.

Mariam, 23, now has her ears and nose back after reconstruction surgeries at the Government Medical College Hospital, Jammu and the Northern Command Military Hospital.

But Hussain doesn't want to stay with Mariam anymore and plans to leave her for another woman. "I sold everything of mine to pay one lakh rupees to the terrorists who abducted her. I even supported her in hospital with whatever money I had. For the last six months, her family hasn't let me meet her. In any case, after all those surgeries, she is now worthless. I am planning another marriage," said Hussain, who is now in Punjab.

He said he had been hiding from security forces, who, he feared, would force him to go back to Mariam. "Police and army will force me to continue with Mariam. But I want a wife who can at least cook for me," said Hussain.

Harkat-ul-Mujahideen militants abducted Mariam and her father from village Mehad Dhar on June 16, 2004. The militants had targeted them because Mariam's brother Latif, also a Harkat militant, had surrendered to security forces a few days earlier.

For 27 days, Mariam was repeatedly raped, hung upside down and beaten with sticks and rifles. She was constantly reminded that the Pika gun her brother handed over at the time of his surrender was worth Rs 28 lakh.

The Jammu and Kashmir police and the army helped Mariam's family bear the surgery costs.
( Last edited by vmarks; May 10, 2005 at 01:43 PM. )
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2005, 01:34 PM

Yes, you have proven you know how to use the bold tags. So what?
Care to actually say anything about what YOU think about this article?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2005, 01:40 PM

The PC version would be: "Different cultures, different behavior."
The most likely reaction from a Western person would be WTF ?

For anyone else: we don't know the whole story, only what the media want's us to know.

-t

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2005, 02:40 PM

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at with this one, vmarks. This guy is a jerk -that much is certain- but there is no mention whatsoever of whether or not Islam has anything to do with this decision of his, as seems to be the case with some of your other recent posts. If you want to classify the militants in Afghanistan as monsters then you've done an impressive job, but the man you've chosen to focus on was not a militant (indeed, this seems to have been at least part of why his wife was attacked).

Assuming that you are trying to characterize Islam as commonly practiced in the Middle East as extremist and barbaric, what role does this post have to play? Your other posts made better attempts.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

nath
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at with this one, vmarks.

Sure, his intentions are just so difficult to ascertain.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2005, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by nath
Sure, his intentions are just so difficult to ascertain.
Usually, I'd agree, but it's not like him to argue using this much of a non sequitur. It seems more as though he's trying to go from "Islam sucks" to "Muslims suck", given that Islam is not mentioned at all in the article. That's a disturbing trend, and I hope I'm wrong and that this is just an uncharastically poor attempt at argument.

nath
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 03:00 PM

Usually, I'd agree, but it's not like him to argue using this much of a non sequitur. It seems more as though he's trying to go from "Islam sucks" to "Muslims suck", given that Islam is not mentioned at all in the article. That's a disturbing trend, and I hope I'm wrong and that this is just an uncharastically poor attempt at argument.

I've felt for some time that this guy being able to promote his hate-filled rhetoric under the cover of a moderator badge is an embarrassment, not just to this forum but to MacNN as a whole.

As you pointed out, there is no contention in the OP, in fact no real substance whatsoever to warrant it remaining on these pages. dcolton has had similar posts regarding homosexuality locked within minutes, as they should be. What's the difference, other than the status of the poster?

vmarks  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2005, 03:34 PM

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at with this one, vmarks. This guy is a jerk -that much is certain- but there is no mention whatsoever of whether or not Islam has anything to do with this decision of his, as seems to be the case with some of your other recent posts. If you want to classify the militants in Afghanistan as monsters then you've done an impressive job, but the man you've chosen to focus on was not a militant (indeed, this seems to have been at least part of why his wife was attacked).

Assuming that you are trying to characterize Islam as commonly practiced in the Middle East as extremist and barbaric, what role does this post have to play? Your other posts made better attempts.
Actually, I intentionally made sure that there was no mention of Islam in this one, other than the folks who attacked his wife- and once attacked, she was no good for him anymore. Contrary to nath's opinion, I'm not a racist, or so-called-Islamophobic.

Setting aside the militancy part of this, the terrorists who tortured a woman whose brother was a terrorist who surrendered (O! That noble insurgency!), the issue is the man who divorces his wife without a care following the attack and will take another wife. The article makes no attempt to talk about the role of Islam in the man's taking another wife, but Islam does allow for the taking of up to four wives.

The article glosses over the extremists as though they were commonplace and accepted, and focuses on the husband.

The issue that really grabbed my attention here for the man's side of it was the notion that 'after all those surgeries, she is now worthless'. Basically putting women down to being property, damaged goods.

You're right, I have elucidated other posts better than this one.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2005, 03:59 PM

I've felt for some time that this guy being able to promote his hate-filled rhetoric under the cover of a moderator badge is an embarrassment, not just to this forum but to MacNN as a whole.
I have not seen anything out of vmarks that I would call truly 'hate-filled' in the past. This post does come closer than any other I've seen yet from him, but one disturbing post does not a long history make, particularly when it seems out of character as this one does.
As you pointed out, there is no contention in the OP, in fact no real substance whatsoever to warrant it remaining on these pages. dcolton has had similar posts regarding homosexuality locked within minutes, as they should be. What's the difference, other than the status of the poster?
If you want it locked, then you should report it as abuse and let the people who moderate this forum decide. I'm not a mod in PoliWar, so I can't lock threads here.

PacHead
Baninated
May 10, 2005, 04:04 PM

There's nothing hate-filled about vmarks post.

The only haters are the people described in his story.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2005, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks
The article makes no attempt to talk about the role of Islam in the man's taking another wife, but Islam does allow for the taking of up to four wives.
Four wives at a time, actually, though few have more than one. This is different, however, since the man appears to be divorcing his wife before remarrying another; one wife at a time. This is more the norm among Muslims, since Islam demands that a man taking more than one wife support them all adequately and equally. He has no intention of treating them equally, but neither does he intend to be married to both. Many husbands in many areas, including the 'enlightened' West, have left their wives for similar reasons; ought we condemn middle-aged men who leave their wives for younger lovers in the same way? Actually, I think we should, but the point is that I don't see much of a difference between these situations.

This man is a bastard, and I don't think anyone here is going to dispute otherwise, but I don't think this one can be linked to Islam.

nath
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 04:17 PM

Actually, I intentionally made sure that there was no mention of Islam in this one, other than the folks who attacked his wife- and once attacked, she was no good for him anymore.
The fact that you posted the rubbish above within 10 minutes of two other posts more explicitly outlining your views on Islam exposes those for the weasel words they clearly are.

Also, despite substantial evidence to the contrary, you are (probably) smart enough to realise that the use of Arabic and the name 'Hussain' would point your cheerleaders (hi Pachead) in the right direction. Why not change those details if you wanted to be sure that Islam would not been seen as an issue in this post? I wonder.

Contrary to nath's opinion, I'm not a racist, or so-called-Islamophobic.
I didn't state that as my opinion, maybe you need to read again (or withdraw your false allegation). I compared the leniency lent to your blatant hate-mongering to the censorship dished out to certain other posters who find such contributions quickly locked.

The issue that really grabbed my attention here for the man's side of it was the notion that 'after all those surgeries, she is now worthless'. Basically putting women down to being property, damaged goods.
Ah, but of course, your real intention was to shed light on the abuse of women.

There was a piece in my local paper recently concerning a battered wife by the name of Steinberg. If I PM it to you, would you mind posting it up in your usual style?

If you want it locked, then you should report it as abuse and let the people who moderate this forum decide. I'm not a mod in PoliWar, so I can't lock threads here.
Funny. Neither is vmarks, yet he has seen fit to 'moderate' me in this forum in the past. What a joke.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
May 10, 2005, 04:23 PM

Funny. Neither is vmarks, yet he has seen fit to 'moderate' me in this forum in the past. What a joke.
He is. Don't ask me why.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

nath
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
He is. Don't ask me why.

My god.

Here is the dcolton post I was thinking of by the way. Same M.O. - a news story posted with no author contention, recognised by Demonhood as flamebait by a known partisan on the issue concerned. Locked instantly.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=244920

PacHead
Baninated
May 10, 2005, 04:28 PM

Also, despite substantial evidence to the contrary, you are (probably) smart enough to realise that the use of Arabic and the name 'Hussain' would point your cheerleaders (hi Pachead) in the right direction.
I am nobody's cheerleader, and I do not require anybody to point me in the right direction regarding sicko islamic terrorists. I already know the deal.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
May 10, 2005, 04:31 PM

My god.

Here is the dcolton post I was thinking of by the way. Same M.O. - a news story posted with no author contention, recognised by Demonhood as flamebait by a known partisan on the issue concerned. Locked instantly.

Heh, nothing new there.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

vmarks  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2005, 04:32 PM

My god.

We've had some threads locked when no opinion is offered, and some (notably posted by Logic in the past- do a search) where he hit and runs and remains open. I only questioned him on it once (and that was the only time I ever recalling doing so.)

But if you'd like this one locked, I'll lock it. Just say the word. Shoot, PM me if you want it closed. I'm open minded enough to take the suggestion.

nath
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 04:37 PM

We've had some threads locked when no opinion is offered, and some (notably posted by Logic in the past- do a search) where he hit and runs and remains open. I only questioned him on it once (and that was the only time I ever recalling doing so.)

But if you'd like this one locked, I'll lock it. Just say the word. Shoot, PM me if you want it closed. I'm open minded enough to take the suggestion.
Cheers. Lock it.

PacHead
Baninated
May 10, 2005, 04:40 PM

Haha, I knew he would say that.

IBL......

vmarks  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2005, 04:41 PM

Cheers.

I'm willing to go along with nath's request here, I don't harbor any ill-will.
( Last edited by vmarks; May 10, 2005 at 05:04 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules