Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Iran is hiding nukes.

Iran is hiding nukes.
vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2006, 11:26 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ixnewstop.html

United Nations officials investigating Iran’s nuclear programme say they have found convincing evidence that the Iranians are working on a secret uranium enrichment project that has not been officially declared.

Suspicions were raised after officials from the UN-sponsored International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) travelled to Pakistan at the end of last year to interview A Q Khan, the atomic scientist who masterminded the successful development of Pakistan’s nuclear weapons arsenal.

Khan is known to have sold Teheran the technical expertise to develop an atomic bomb, together with key components, such as sophisticated equipment for enriching uranium. During the interview with IAEA inspectors, Khan is said to have provided a full disclosure of the nuclear dossier he gave the Iranians. The inspectors compared Khan’s material against the documentation the Iranians have so far provided.

“There are a number of glaring inconsistencies between what the Iranians are telling us and the information the IAEA got from Khan,” said a diplomat closely involved in the IAEA’s negotiations with Teheran. “Consequently the IAEA inspectors are now convinced that the Iranians have another, small-scale uranium processing and enrichment project that is being kept secret from the outside world.”

IAEA officials are trying to establish whether Iran has what they call “parallel” nuclear enrichment facilities, which they suspect are being developing at closed military bases around the country.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

idjeff
Senior User
Apr 6, 2006, 11:38 PM

But...but...they promised

You gotta tame the beast before you let it out of its cage.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2006, 11:54 PM

Iran is hiding nukes
says the kettle of the pot

idjeff
Senior User
Apr 7, 2006, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
says the kettle of the pot
You're right...the UN is probably making all of this up.

You gotta tame the beast before you let it out of its cage.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks
Iran is hiding nukes.
So?

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by idjeff
You mean just like they were 'making up' that they didn't find any WsMD in Irak?

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Nicko
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 05:14 AM

I really hope Iran gets their act together and can actually make a nuke. That would diffuse this whole situation instantly. Example? Look at n. Korea. They aren't even in the news anymore since they got their nukes.

abe
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Nicko
I really hope Iran gets their act together and can actually make a nuke. That would diffuse this whole situation instantly. Example? Look at n. Korea. They aren't even in the news anymore since they got their nukes.
Originally Posted by Kr0nos
You mean just like they were 'making up' that they didn't find any WsMD in Irak?
Originally Posted by lil'babykitten
So?
Here you go. More comments like the above and we'll know you hate Israel AND America.

America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

abe
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 07:47 AM

Iran: Stealth 'Flying Boat' Successfully Tested
Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Click image to enlarge
STORIES

Iran: Another Torpedo Successfully Test-Fired

Iran Claims to Have Test-Fired Missile That Can Destroy Warships

Iran: Stealth Missile Successfully Test-Fired

Tehran Wants Nuke Facility in Iran

More Talks Over Iran's Nuclear Plans Scheduled

Rice Plans Visit to Europe for More Talks on Iran

Admin. Questions Iran's Approval of U.S. Talks on Iraq

Rice Warns Against Delays on Iran Resolution

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran said Tuesday it had tested what it called a "super-modern flying boat" capable of evading radar. State TV showed a brief clip of the boat's launch.

"Due to its advanced design, no radar at sea or in the air can detect it. It can lift out of the water," the television said. It said the boat was "all Iranian-made and can launch missiles with precise targeting while moving."

On Monday Iran said it tested a second new radar-avoiding missile during war games in the Persian Gulf that the military says are aimed at preparing the country's defenses against the United States.

The new surface-to-sea missile is equipped with remote-control and searching systems, the state-run television reported Tuesday.

On Friday, the country tested the Fajr-3, a missile that it said can avoid radars and hit several targets simultaneously using multiple warheads. Iran also has tested what it calls two new torpedoes.

The Revolutionary Guards, the elite branch of Iran's military, have been holding their maneuvers — code-named the "Great Prophet" — since Friday, touting what they call domestically built technological advances in their armed forces.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,190462,00.html
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 08:27 AM

No need for a moderator to lie is it? The article doesn't say anything about nukes. But unfortunately the half-wits around here will buy the headline invented by vmarks. As per usual.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2006, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by idjeff
Actually, I wasn't referring to the UN, but rather the other country in the middle east that is hiding nukes (and represented here by vmarks)

but ... if the UN is incompetent and corrupt, how can we trust anything said by them?

Nicko
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
No need for a moderator to lie is it? The article doesn't say anything about nukes. But unfortunately the half-wits around here will buy the headline invented by vmarks. As per usual.
Well, that goes without saying...

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2006, 08:53 AM

there is only one way to find out for sure. invade first, then inspect. worked for iraq.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 09:05 AM

The only thing we have to fear is Iran having nukes, their military force is pretty pathetic so it's relatively easy to do something about it before they actually have them.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 09:12 AM

Hey here's a *real* test if Iran has nukes or not. If they have nukes then the US leaves them alone and if they don't then they are a target for invasion.

*Ding*

The results are in! Iran apparently doesn't have nukes.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Hey here's a *real* test if Iran has nukes or not. If they have nukes then the US leaves them alone and if they don't then they are a target for invasion.

*Ding*

The results are in! Iran apparently doesn't have nukes.

cheers

W-Y

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by yakkiebah
... their military force is pretty pathetic...
Where are you getting your information from?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 09:35 AM

How many conventional military forces are NOT pathetic compared to the US?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush
How many conventional military forces are NOT pathetic compared to the US?
The Iraqi insurgency.

I think if you compare Iran's military capacity to what Iraq's was prior to invasion you'd find that Iran has a much more advanced and capable military force. The Iranians haven't had to deal with 15 years of sanctions, a factor that was significant in the disintegration of Iraq's airforce, for example. The loyalty of the military to the Iranian state is another factor in Iran's favour. I don't think you'd see large chunks of Iranian troops simply leave their weapons and go home upon the arrival of US troops, which is another factor that undermined Iraq's ability to defend herself at the beginning of the war.

Let's be realistic - the US today doesn't have the financial or military capacity to launch a full scale invasion of Iran. Nor would US public or party opinion approve another intervention of this scale so soon after the colossal strategic errors that have been made in Iraq.
( Last edited by lil'babykitten; Apr 7, 2006 at 09:47 AM. )

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 09:47 AM

The Iraqi insurgency.
Which is why I put the word "conventional" in italics for emphasis.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by abe
Here you go. More comments like the above and we'll know you hate Israel AND America.
You mean just like you hate muslims and anybody else who isn't a raving Christian fundaMENTAList?

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Nicko
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 09:54 AM

Which is why I put the word "conventional" in italics for emphasis.
Well its kind of a moot point isn't it? If the US were to go to war with any other of the modern militaries in the world it would probably end with nuclear explosions all over the place, so there would be no winner.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 09:57 AM

Well its kind of a moot point isn't it? If the US were to go to war with any other of the modern militaries in the world it would probably end with nuclear explosions all over the place, so there would be no winner.
Perhaps. We may yet see.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 10:04 AM

Perhaps. We may yet see.
We may yet see? Are you crazy? Who would the US attack?

vmarks  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 10:24 AM

Uranium enrichment has an application in preparation for weaponry of the nuclear variety.

The person who was behind Pakistan getting nuclear weapons was also involved with Iran's nuclear development. Comparing his testimony with that of Iran's revealed this hidden enrichment facility.

If this all about gaining nuclear energy for Iran as some like von Wrangell claim, why the collaboration with the person who brought nuclear weapons to Pakistan, and why the hiding?

Iran is on their way to nuclear weapons if they aren't hiding them already.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2006, 10:35 AM

I completely agree with vmarks on this. No one in the middle east should have hidden nuclear weapons.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 10:36 AM

Uranium enrichment has an application in preparation for power generation of the nuclear variety.

The person who was behind Pakistan learning how to enrich uranium is alledgedly also involved with Iran's nuclear development. Comparing his testimony with that of Iran's revealed this supposed hidden enrichment facility.
fixed.
That's quite a retraction from the original statement. Can't wait for the next edition.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 10:44 AM

I have said it before and I will say it again, I would like to see a nuclear confrontation in the Middle East. I envision it happening with Iran goes after Israel with Israel decimating Iran, which turns into a full-scale Tyrants&Despots cage-match throughout the whole Middle East. Maybe eventually these countries will learn that fighting over religion and a bunch of scrub desert is futile . . . or, after a nuclear exchange, there will be a whole lot less of them around to feel like fighting.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
I have said it before and I will say it again. I would like to see a nuclear confrontation in the Middle East. Iran goes after Israel with Israel decimating Iran, which turns into a full-scale Tyrants&Despots cage-match throughout the whole Middle East. Maybe eventually these countries will learn that fighting over religion and a bunch of scrub desert is futile . . . or, after a nuclear exchange, there will be a whole lot less of them around to feel like fighting.
I'd prefer that happening in the West. That way there wouldn't be any outside influence forcing the ME into an all out war.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 10:48 AM

I'd prefer that happening in the West. That way there wouldn't be any outside influence forcing the ME into an all out war.
Yeah, except with the big bad Soviet Union an artifact of history the chances of that happening now in the West are slim to none. There is always Kashmir, though.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 10:56 AM

Yeah, except with the big bad Soviet Union an artifact of history the chances of that happening now in the West are slim to none. There is always Kashmir, though.
I know the chances are small that it'd happen in the West. But I think that if we are going to have a nuclear war the democracies should suffer first because they are the once who created this mess and they also voted in the idiots that started this (possible) nuclear war.

And I can promise you this. The first use of a nuclear weapon in the future will be by Israel and/or the US. The US has already been desensitized enough by already killing innocent civilians with the weapon before and Zionist Israelis (not to be confused with Israelis) who rule Israel believe their neighbours are subhuman. Just wait and see.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 11:12 AM

Do you honestly think that if Iran did have nuclear weapons that they would be hiding them??? I'm sure they would be showing them off to the world and even test them to prove it.
So obviously they don't have them yet.

I hope for their own sake though that they can get the bomb soon.

vmarks  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 11:24 AM

You can PROMISE that the first use of nukes will be by the US or Israel?

That's quite a promise.

Especially when the Iranians are the ones threatening to wipe Israel from the map and calling for Death to America. Nuclear technology is an easy means for Iran to do so, especially since they have no fear of end-of-times/bringing about the Mahdi.

Israel, on the other hand, has never used nuclear weaponry, and you may remember, did the world a favor and prevented Iraq from gaining nuclear weaponry by taking care of the Osirak reactor.

(ignoring your prejudiced prattle about zionists and nonsense about subhuman etc.)

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 11:27 AM

Israel, on the other hand, has never used nuclear weaponry,
But is still the only nation in the ME who has nuclear weapons.

(ignoring your prejudiced prattle about the Mahdi and nonsense about Israel doing anyone a favour etc.)

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 11:34 AM

It looks like the usual suspects on both sides of the"nuclear weapons in the ME" debate have come out in full force. It seems they are in agreement that a nuclear exchange is likely to happen in the Middle East (please correct me if I'm wrong in this assessment). This is good. As long as people are willing to fight to the death over a bunch of scrub desert I am all in favor of helping achieve that death, sooner rather than later.

vmarks  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 11:36 AM

When I speak about the Mahdi, it isn't prejudiced: Iran's president speaks about him all the time, and about his soon coming (within about two years is what I recall from his words.)

Given that timeline, it appears that I am correct: Iran's president has no fear about bringing about the return of the Mahdi. The Mahdi is the prophesized redeemer of Islam who will change the world to a perfect Islamic society before the end of times. Bringing about the return of the Mahdi is associated with the end of times.

So when you call me prejudiced, you need to be sure you're correct. When I call you on speaking about 'zionists thinking their neighbors are subhuman' I am correct. You're misusing the word zionist and applying your prejudice.

PacHead
Baninated
Apr 7, 2006, 11:37 AM

I hope so also, because that will all but guarantee the bombing of Iran.

PacHead
Baninated
Apr 7, 2006, 11:38 AM

So?
So, it means they will have to be bombed.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 11:38 AM

It looks like the usual suspects on both sides of the"nuclear weapons in the ME" debate have come out in full force. It seems they are in agreement that a nuclear exchange is likely to happen in the Middle East (please correct me if I'm wrong in this assessment). This is good. As long as people are willing to fight to the death over a bunch of scrub desert I am all in favor of helping achieve that death, sooner rather than later.
I don't think there will be an "exchange". There will be one side using them and that is the Israeli/US side. As per usual the innocent victims will be the Middle Easterners.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by PacHead
I hope so also, because that will all but guarantee the bombing of Iran.

Yeah, and if Iran gets bombed then they will retaliate, probably against Israel, and then the whole place goes to hell in a hand-basket.

PacHead
Baninated
Apr 7, 2006, 11:40 AM

All Mulsim countries have pathetic militaries compared to the west.

PacHead
Baninated
Apr 7, 2006, 11:43 AM

Yeah, and if Iran gets bombed then they will retaliate, probably against Israel, and then the whole place goes to hell in a hand-basket.
They're going to do what they're going to do anyhow. Terrorists don't scare me.

PacHead
Baninated
Apr 7, 2006, 11:45 AM

I don't think there will be an "exchange". There will be one side using them and that is the Israeli/US side. As per usual the innocent victims will be the Middle Easterners.
Terrorists are not innocent victims, and if Iran ends up getting bombed, then boohoo.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2006, 11:46 AM

Khan is known to have sold Teheran the technical expertise to develop an atomic bomb, together with key components, such as sophisticated equipment for enriching uranium.
SHOT: CAMERA STATIONED OVER OVAL OFFICE CHAIR. George Bush LOOKS UP TO CAMERA IN SHAKING RAGE

BUSH: KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

vmarks  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 11:52 AM

I don't think there has to be a nuclear exchange.

I think that very simply, some country in the world has to have the guts to eliminate Iran's nuclear facilities before they develop further. Using CONVENTIONAL non-nuclear weapons.

Iran is happy to agitate, and happy to work towards a nuclear event, concealing and decieving along the way. Nothing says that conventional weapons can't be used to prevent Iran from going further.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 12:03 PM

The article does not say that the UN says Iran is hiding nukes.

And even if it did, Iran has every right to develop nuclear weapons. There are ways of persuading countries that they don't need nuclear weapons. Calling 3 countries part of an axis of evil and then wiping out the first axis of the triad, wasn't a way to persuade Iran that it doesn't need nuclear weapons.

Israel argues that it needs nukes to protect itself. If I were Iran, I'd think I need them for the same reason.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 12:08 PM

I think that very simply, some country in the world has to have the guts to eliminate Iran's nuclear facilities before they develop further. Using CONVENTIONAL non-nuclear weapons.
If Iraq were still capable, I'm sure they would have volunteered. What other rogue state in the area might do it in Saddam's absence? Let's see ...

Tell me, why do you think the world should trust Israel with nukes and not Iran?

PacHead
Baninated
Apr 7, 2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Troll

And even if it did, Iran has every right to develop nuclear weapons.
Actually they don't, and certain countries will make sure of that.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Troll

And even if it did, Iran has every right to develop nuclear weapons. There are ways of persuading countries that they don't need nuclear weapons. Calling 3 countries part of an axis of evil and then wiping out the first axis of the triad, wasn't a way to persuade Iran that it doesn't need nuclear weapons.

Israel argues that it needs nukes to protect itself. If I were Iran, I'd think I need them for the same reason.
A voice of reason. MAD was the only reason why the US and Russia didn't fire their nukes off at each other.

Somehow I just can't believe that vmarks takes Iran's president so seriously.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 7, 2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kr0nos
You mean just like you hate muslims and anybody else who isn't a raving Christian fundaMENTAList?
You have no room to talk when referring to "hate"

Forum Links
Forum Rules