Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do you use the Express Card slot in your MacBook Pro?

View Poll Results: Do you actually *use* the EC/34 in your MacBook Pro?
Poll Options:
Yes 20 votes (31.25%)
No 44 votes (68.75%)
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll
Do you use the Express Card slot in your MacBook Pro? (Page 2)
mac redneck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2009, 04:29 PM

Simon-
I'm not sure but it sure seems faster. The card reader built into my printer is dirt slow. For the record I am using sony memory stick duo media so the built in sd slot is worthless to me. Also my camera's usb cable is integrated with composite video and audio cables.(Big and bulky) This is the card I have.Sonnet Technology ExpressCard/34 21 in 1 Medi... (MMRW-E34) at OWC
After reading the specs, it seems to top out at 480 Mbits/sec. USB2 speeds. Hmmm.
iMac 24", 2.4 C2D, 1TB, 4GB, 10.5.7
Late 2008 Macbook Pro 2.4 C2D, 500GB, 4GB, 10.5.7

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2009, 04:50 PM

I was just curious. I was pretty sure the card reader uses the EC's USB mode, but that doesn't mean you're imagining things. Your card reader could still be faster than connecting the camera to USB even though the card reader is on USB too. For all we know the camera could have a crappy memory bus and/or a crappy USB controller.

bencurtis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2009, 11:09 AM

Here is a dual compactflash expresscard reader that I believe uses PCIe mode, not USB. Am told the drivers are still a bit buggy however (but I've no personal experience with this device).

http://www.snappertalk.com/index.php...scard-adapter/

This site also has a bunch of reviews of expresscard adapters:

All About CF

joe
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2009, 01:44 PM

I voted no because I don't own an EC card for my MBPro. Tho I had hoped to find some interesting EC cards at some point. That 48GB SSD EC (PCI) seems nice. A digital TV tuner would've been nice too tho I don't think they'll fit the slim EC slot in the MBPro (N America).

Frankly, I don't think EC has lived up to it's promise. I'm not sure if the switch to SD slot will gives us more options in the long run. Right now, I can't find much use for either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules