Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Thailand's Government buys 900000 tablets for education

Thailand's Government buys 900000 tablets for education
Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2012, 12:58 AM

...and they're not iPads. They're 7" RK2918 based tablets.

900,000 Rockchip RK2918 7″ Tablets purchased by Thailand’s Government for Education – ARMdevices.net

I had my doubts, but similar RK2918 tablets seem to be becoming popular in the consumer space. They're only single-core Cortex A8, but run Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, can easily decode 1080p H.264 MKV files, have HDMI out, read external NTFS drives, and come with capacitive screens. This is all for $130 retail in North America, or even under $100 wholesale in bulk.

Given that I could play my MKV files on the directly (something I cannot do with either my iPhone 4 or my iPad 2), I'd consider buying one as a portable video viewer and basic (albeit slow) surfing machine for that price. However, I'd prefer something with a dual-core GHz ARM CPU.
( Last edited by Eug; Mar 25, 2012 at 01:05 AM. )

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2012, 12:10 PM

I won't be buying one of these, but I think I will get a Rockchip RK30xx based Android machine this year. This puts it in the iPad 2 category for general usage speed, but with better H.264 playback support, for a lot less money and in a 7" form factor.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2012, 01:25 PM

If you are experiencing slow WWW loading and rendering, you should consider using Opera and perhaps you won't wish to have a more power hungry processor.

Congratulations on your purchase of a useful, non-gaming tablet.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2012, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Congratulations on your purchase of a useful, non-gaming tablet.
The iPad : the only Apple hardware that people play games on without installing another OS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules