Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Universal Adobe Photoshop CS3

Universal Adobe Photoshop CS3 (Page 2)
bfalchuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2006, 01:57 PM

CS2 will work on your Mac. I use it on both of my Intel Macs, and it works just fine. It's not super speedy, but it's fast enough to do most work in.
BlackBook 2.0GHz 80GB HD 2GB RAM & a really hot wife!

don
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by CheesePuff View Post
Anyone care to post benchmarks from a Intel Mac with time against CS2?
FIrst time user here.
I downloaded CS3 Beta yesterday and began using it on the MacPro (4GB of RAM). I tried "smart sharpening" on a photo, and blinked. Nothing happened... I thought! It was so fast it was done before I knew it. This is a new ball game!
I love the new RAW processing (Nikon D 200) - so many more options. Can't wait for the whole CS3 suite.
Don

skyman
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2006, 02:45 PM

Just finished the install.

WOW. CS3 is wicked fast. I am sold.

And this is only the beta.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

inkhead
Senior User
Dec 16, 2006, 02:57 PM

As an owner of the entire creative suite I feel it's my duty to REPORT TO those who do not own it, that everyone here is lying or just doesn't want you to have the fun, because it makes them feel "special."

Photoshop CS3 Beta, can be downloaded by anyone for a 30 DAY TRIAL (NOT 2 day trial) regardless of if you have ever ran photoshop ever on your computer. I did a fresh install on my second MacBookPro that I haven't got around to installing any Adobe products on yet and it works perfectly fine, even when i screw with the clock, and the option was for 30 day trial. I IMed my friend at Adobe and he said they went with 30 day trial not a 2 day trial after all, so when it says 30day trial (on launch) it means it

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2006, 03:07 PM

Yeah, it says 30 day but according to Adobe its really only 2 day.

turnedge762
Dec 16, 2006, 03:07 PM

Cool your guns inkhead. Mine already says that it's down to one day left, so it is not a 30 day trial, but a 2 day trial.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2006, 03:10 PM

The option says "30-day trial," but if you open the program again on that day, it will report that you have two days remaining. For now, I'm going to trust the program that can actually lock me out over Inkhead's friend, but I'll tell you if it still works in two days.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Dec 16, 2006 at 03:27 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

clotje
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2006, 03:16 PM

I try to use our CS2 site serial, but this is not working

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2006, 04:55 PM

I love the interface. The new palette-drawers are awesome. And the single-column tool palette was a long-time coming.

I'll never buy Photoshop, but I hope some of these interface features trickle down to Photoshop Elements.

Bridge does nothing special for me. Meh.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2006, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead View Post
Here's a wonderful tale of 30 day trials

It's two days. I don't care what your buddy at adobe says. My CS2 key wasn't working so I went ahead and just did the "30 Day Trial".. the second time I started the program it let me know that had two days left of my Trial. I'm glad you own the entire suite, me too, but that doesn't give your previous comments any additional merit.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2006, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I love the interface.

What do you do for a living?
Chuck
___

James_Rolevink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2006, 05:36 PM

Anyone know if installing the beta screws with my proper CS2?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post

What do you do for a living?
Military.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2006, 06:22 PM

"Military."

Then of *course* you love the interface!

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2006, 07:07 PM

I'm interested to see that others also think Adobe's GUI is going down an increasingly Windowesque and clumsy path.

I recently went through the exercise of testing color swatches and pdf files in the CS2 apps.

There are 8 ways of getting a file into or out of an Adobe app:

1. Drag and drop from the finder.

2. Drag and drop from another CS2 app.

3. Copy and paste from another app.

4. Copy and paste from another CS2 app.

5. Place

6. Open

7. Drag onto the icon

8. Open via Bridge

And that is not to mention the many convoluted methods for opening, symbols, paths, swatches, presets, templates etc

None of the methods nor the applications behaves like the other nor produces the same results, if any. The whole "Creative Studio" is a total shambles.

...and that was before they added in the Macromedia cruft.
( Last edited by rubaiyat; Dec 16, 2006 at 07:18 PM. )

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2006, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
...CS2 won't work on my Intel Mac!
CS2 works fine (transparently under Rosetta) on Intel Macs. Of course, PS and other heavy graphics apps like RAM and fairly strong computers. If cash is short PS Elements is a good app.

-Allen Wicks

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2006, 11:28 PM

To the people saying "My CS2 serial doesn't work," you do realize you've got to enter that at Adobe's site, linked to from the dowload page, in order to get a serial emailed to you for CS3? You can't just enter your CS2 serial into the CS3 application on launch.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2006, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by clotje View Post
I try to use our CS2 site serial, but this is not working
Where are you inputting the serial #?

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2006, 12:23 AM

this is just a beta? when is the real deal coming?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2006, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by MattJeff View Post
this is just a beta? when is the real deal coming?
Spring 2007.

jasong
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 10:10 AM

Rubaiyat, what are you talking about?

I'm interested to see that others also think Adobe's GUI is going down an increasingly Windowesque and clumsy path. I recently went through the exercise of testing color swatches and pdf files in the CS2 apps. There are 8 ways of getting a file into or out of an Adobe app:

1. Drag and drop from the finder.
Mac way of doing things

2. Drag and drop from another CS2 app.
Mac way of doing things

3. Copy and paste from another app.
Mac way of doing things

4. Copy and paste from another CS2 app.
Mac way of doing things

5. Place
Has been a long time way of doing things in DTP apps (since at least Pagemaker 4)

6. Open
Seriously, how much more Mac can you get?

7. Drag onto the icon
Mac way of doing things

8. Open via Bridge
Adobe specific way, but makes total sense given the integrated nature of the program.

I'm not saying CS3 doesn't look more Windows than Mac (although wait until Vista and Office 2007 come out, CS3 will look way more Mac than Windows), and I'm not saying the program couldn't use some streamlining, but all the things you chose to pick were the Mac way of doing things! In fact, show me a Mac app that doesn't support 1,2,3,4,6, and 7!
-- Jason

don
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2006, 12:00 PM

I installed CS 3 Beta then noticed there were two days of use. I tried registering my CS 2 number but of course that doesn't work. I did register under the "help" menu, then tried "activate" under the help menu - then things happened - I was sent a new registration number via email and CS 3 is working fine. The "activate" option is now greyed out.

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2006, 05:28 PM

I had less than happy experiences with CS3 so far, unfortunately. I downloaded and installed the Beta and when launching it I was surprised to find that it was slower than CS2. I mean unusable slow. Then after I finally quit the program in frustration and opened CS2 again, it was running horribly slow. Then I saw that my entire computer ( MBP 2.0ghz 2gb ram ) was barely functional. The GUI was largely unresponsive and stuttered when it did respond. My computer never froze, but I would have to sit for 10 to 15 mins at times to wait for it to complete the last command I gave it, such as switching applications.
I un-installed the program, removed all preferences for it in Application Support, and repaired permissions. It still was running funny so I started looking around and noticed that my fonts had almost doubled. I checked my back up clone on my external and it showed that last week I had 122 fonts and when I checked following this mess I had over 250. I don't get it.
But this is exam week and I have my final critique on Tuesday, I'm just glad it didn't get totally hosed and I didn't lose all my work in the last 3 days of school. Wednesday I will try again.
SAm

ac3boy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2006, 06:16 PM

You have more issues on your machine than the PS3 beta.

Originally Posted by sknapp351 View Post
I had less than happy experiences with CS3 so far, unfortunately. I downloaded and installed the Beta and when launching it I was surprised to find that it was slower than CS2. I mean unusable slow. Then after I finally quit the program in frustration and opened CS2 again, it was running horribly slow. Then I saw that my entire computer ( MBP 2.0ghz 2gb ram ) was barely functional. The GUI was largely unresponsive and stuttered when it did respond. My computer never froze, but I would have to sit for 10 to 15 mins at times to wait for it to complete the last command I gave it, such as switching applications.
I un-installed the program, removed all preferences for it in Application Support, and repaired permissions. It still was running funny so I started looking around and noticed that my fonts had almost doubled. I checked my back up clone on my external and it showed that last week I had 122 fonts and when I checked following this mess I had over 250. I don't get it.
But this is exam week and I have my final critique on Tuesday, I'm just glad it didn't get totally hosed and I didn't lose all my work in the last 3 days of school. Wednesday I will try again.
SAm

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by sknapp351 View Post
I had less than happy experiences with CS3 so far, unfortunately.
While I doubt it was the addition of new fonts that did that to your system the Adobe Font Pack was an optional install when you did the beta install.

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben View Post
While I doubt it was the addition of new fonts that did that to your system the Adobe Font Pack was an optional install when you did the beta install.
That's good to know. I was so excited about CS3, I didn't even notice that. I had no problems before CS3, and all has been fine today since removing it. I know that the issue must be something weird with my machine or a glitch in the installation, but I am running no haxies and all legal software so I would love to know what it was. I look forward to trying again when my files are not this critical.
SAm

davesmall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2006, 09:11 PM

The help files are missing. Does anyone know where to find an explanation of new features and how they work? For example, there is a new selection tool that looks very interesting but isn't entirely intuitive.

Runs fast on my MacBook Pro

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 11:29 PM

In case anyone is wondering..........

The CS3 beta runs really fast and stable on my QS 867/1.5GB/Radeon9800/2x Raptors w/ 36GB scratch on the 2nd Raptor.

From a cold boot with no other apps running, it opens in 16 seconds, at least 3x faster than PS 7 does, and the 2- 600MB mega-layer images I opened & applied filters & effects on went way smoother and faster than I thought possible for this machine

Hopefully I will have some spare change available when it is finally released next yr
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2006, 11:39 PM

Cool stuff I've noticed so far -- a much-refined Curves dialog, the new Black & White... dialog in Adjustments (or adjustment layer) & the "Refine selection" button on the top toolbar when you've made an area selection. This update does appear to have some real red meat to it, unlike CS2, which was really a fairly minor upgrade, feature-wise.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

mrgaskell
Senior User
Dec 18, 2006, 12:18 AM

Interesting read on digg.
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

clotje
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2006, 05:00 AM

In the first page ... where the choice is between serial and 30 days try

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Where are you inputting the serial #?

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2006, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Rubaiyat, what are you talking about?
Thing that always fascinates me about forums is how so many "readers" totally miss the point. Because they don't read. They guess, presume, listen to the little voice inside their own head. Then respond to that.

What I said was that with all the 8 methods, the results are inconsistent and mostly unpredictable unless you have done extensive tests and taken a lot of notes.

In Cocoa apps whether you open, drag n drop, copy & paste, place, whatever, irregardless of the origin, the result is the graphic appears as it should in the document.

No second guessing. No wondering, why not? No going wha' the &@#$!

UberFu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2006, 11:48 AM

Gah, this is frustrating. I'm intent on somehow finding the cash for CS3 when it comes out, but I certainly can't afford to buy CS2 right now, and why would I have when CS3 was right around the corner, and CS2 won't work on my Intel Mac! Sigh... if only serial numbers fell from the skies.
Actually they do fall from the sky - just have to know which direction to watch_

Anyway - CS2 works adequately under Rosetta with enough RAM_ With minor issues_

But if yore going to spend for it - odds are there will be an upgrade from CS2 to CS3 that will be cheaper than paying for the full install_ Except that you will then have paid out more for the CS3 version in the long run to begin with_

A good way to gauge youreself on buying stuff like this is simply - do you absolutely NEED it right now_ I'm not talking about wanting it [needing it]_ I mean from a practical standpoint where yore workflow is being hindered and clients are getting impatient and that sort of thing_

If yore not even using it right now - then ask yoreself - what's the rush to get the outdated software before the new version comes out ?

P
Dec 18, 2006, 12:25 PM

Does anyone have any comparisons between a G5 CS3 and and an Intel CS3?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2006, 01:15 PM

There's lots of benchmarking going on at MasOSRumors

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by clotje View Post
In the first page ... where the choice is between serial and 30 days try
Again, you have to input your CS2 serial no. on Adobe's website (link from the CS3 beta download page) If their web form accepts your CS2 serial, it will then give you a new ser. no. for CS3.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
Again, you have to input your CS2 serial no. on Adobe's website (link from the CS3 beta download page) If their web form accepts your CS2 serial, it will then give you a new ser. no. for CS3.
Exactly.

clotje
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2006, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
Thanks, guys ... it working fine

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2006, 10:20 PM

Gah, this is frustrating. I'm intent on somehow finding the cash for CS3 when it comes out, but I certainly can't afford to buy CS2 right now, and why would I have when CS3 was right around the corner, and CS2 won't work on my Intel Mac! Sigh... if only serial numbers fell from the skies.
Maybe you should call Adobe about that free licences for church thing again?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2006, 10:26 PM

I like the new interface overall, and it sure is zippy on my Mac Pro, but if these Windows-widgets make it to the full release someone is going to die a slow painful death* at Adobe HQ:

* Figure of speech you PC nut!

JLL
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2006, 06:30 AM

Adobe doesn't care about the Mac interface.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2006, 05:31 PM

Holy crap, that's the actual logo for Photoshop 3. I thought it was just a placeholder. And all their other apps look like that now too. Good grief, why don't they just change the name to the Fugly Suite?
Chuck
___

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Holy crap, that's the actual logo for Photoshop 3. I thought it was just a placeholder. And all their other apps look like that now too. Good grief, why don't they just change the name to the Fugly Suite?
Adam Betts has us covered...

The Art of Adam Betts � Photoshop CS3 Replacement Icon

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2006, 06:55 PM

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2006, 07:20 PM

Seriously? WTF?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2006, 07:57 PM

i dont hate them, kinda nice colours.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2006, 08:09 PM

They're fine as colors, but they're terrible as icons. They represent nothing.
Chuck
___

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2006, 10:43 PM

Blech, I thought that icon was just a placeholder also. It looks like an icon for a freeware utility, made by a developer who was planning to call Adam Betts but didn't yet get around to it. I understand what they're trying to do, after seeing the entire family of icons as a collection, but they don't hold up individually.

(btw, thanks Adam for jumping on that! )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2006, 12:41 AM

The grouping of the icons doesn't make sense to me either. Photoshop and ColdFusion are more similar than InDesign and PageMaker? (Or is there another "PM" now?)
Chuck
___

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Dec 22, 2006, 08:28 AM

Adobe said something like "our icon stands out now"...but what if all icons were as bland as the PS icon...just a couple letters on a color background. Imagine if all icons were like this...

...I'd certainly go insane.

Forum Links
Forum Rules