Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Woops!

Woops! (Page 19)
ghporter
Administrator
May 9, 2022, 11:09 AM

In the gif, those drawers were DEFINITELY open before he started pushing the assembly.

"Open drawers" is actually a big issue in the safety community. Leaving a drawer open when you're not using it invites you (and others) to run into it and be injured in one way or another. NEVER open one drawer over another open drawer - with file cabinets that tends to cause tipping.

In fact, my experience with expensive tool cabinets from Stanley-Vidmar, it really helps to have all the drawers closed and latched closed before moving a wheeled cabinet. The stuff in each drawer WILL exhibit its inertia by trying to open the drawer when you stop moving the cabinet. Even if the drawers in the video were not all the way open when he started, the guy's "shove" imparted enough momentum to the drawers and their contents that they would try to open - which would be pretty close to "as bad" as starting with drawers already open.

And the chimney...what did they think those heavy bricks all stuck together would do? I've seen folks move heavy stuff on roofs, and it ALWAYS helps to both actively control the load and provide a broad, slidable surface for the load. Otherwise, a pretty unpleasant "oops" is GOING to happen.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

reader50
Administrator
May 9, 2022, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
And the chimney...what did they think those heavy bricks all stuck together would do?
They thought the chimney (hundreds of pounds) would slide off the roof. Somehow missing the rain gutter. Not destroy the flower bed, bushes, and solar hardware on the ground below it. And not lurch back into the wall of the house, possibly destroying a window also. Doesn't look like they checked for people standing below either.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2022, 03:16 PM

A related woops of mine from many years ago. My cat escaped onto the roof once, and while maneuvering I stabilized myself on the chimney. Loose fragment tumbles down onto my neighbor’s deck.

Right through the glass table.

The way their building was set up there was no way I could figure out which apartment was theirs, so I wrote a note apologizing and offering to replace it. Paper airplaned it down.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 10, 2022, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
In the gif, those drawers were DEFINITELY open before he started pushing the assembly.
My assumption is that the start of the gif isn't the start of pushing. The cabinet is already angled out from the wall when the gif starts, which means it has already been moved some. The guy is fully behind the cabinet and can't see the drawers.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2022, 01:24 PM

How did they open, though? Wouldn’t he hear the drawer rollers?

Thorzdad
May 10, 2022, 03:55 PM

Depends on how loud the shop is.

ghporter
Administrator
May 10, 2022, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
They thought the chimney (hundreds of pounds) would slide off the roof. Somehow missing the rain gutter. Not destroy the flower bed, bushes, and solar hardware on the ground below it. And not lurch back into the wall of the house, possibly destroying a window also. Doesn't look like they checked for people standing below either.
I'm more of the opinion that "thinking" was not one of the things they did on that job...

ghporter
Administrator
May 10, 2022, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Depends on how loud the shop is.
And how good the draw rollers are. The Stanley-Vidmar stuff I worked with was awfully quiet when there was any substantial load in a drawer.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2022, 02:20 PM

andi*pandi
May 11, 2022, 03:04 PM

that little piton which holds the weights on is important.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2022, 03:17 PM

I think he had one, it had just unscrewed itself. I see three things fall.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2022, 03:32 PM

reader50
Administrator
May 11, 2022, 04:40 PM

Pity there was no pilot. I think the plane would have been OK if he/she could get the engine started. Quickly.

Owners doubtless pay more for hanger storage. But when high winds come, do airports move all planes inside that will fit? Perhaps with an extra fee?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2022, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Pity there was no pilot. I think the plane would have been OK if he/she could get the engine started. Quickly.
As long as it wasn’t one of those jobbies where the pilot hand cranks the propeller to start it.

As for the question, FWIU, light planes get tied down.

Edit: just noticed the rolling stairs in the foreground had pitched over.

ghporter
Administrator
May 13, 2022, 02:35 PM

Yeah, that little guy wasn’t tied down, and it looks like he only had chocks to prevent him rolling forward. Not conducive to controlled flight. By which I mean “not flying when you aren’t planning to fly.”

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2022, 12:10 PM

ghporter
Administrator
May 20, 2022, 12:55 PM

Insurance will probably pay for that. But not the homeowner’s insurance. And an “equipment operator” is due for some remedial instruction. Or a change in careers…

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2022, 01:24 PM

I should also add I’m pretty sure whatever that crane was lifting (shingles?) is inside the house now.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 21, 2022, 10:36 AM

I want to see the photo the dude on the roof shot.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2022, 12:50 PM

reader50
Administrator
May 24, 2022, 12:59 PM

I like girl #2 better.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2022, 01:14 PM

I do too, but I can’t tell if #1 is angry or thinks it’s funny. My opinion varies depending.

Her friends clearly think it’s hilarious.

andi*pandi
May 24, 2022, 02:13 PM

I think they know the kid in the mascot outfit.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2022, 02:19 PM

If that’s the case, it makes me feel better about it. Mascots shouldn’t be abused.

Furries can be though.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2022, 02:28 PM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 27, 2022, 10:56 AM

(Mascot gif)
I know it's always been there, but I'm seeing more and more of reddit absolutely LOVING the chance to hate women. Any gif of a woman being put "in her place" by being proven wrong, or failing in some way, or getting shut down are wildly popular. Any gif like this you can count on the top comments always being some form of "WHAT A FUCKEN BITCH!." I've unsubbed from a couple subreddits that were becoming nearly exclusively content of women, POC, and people from other countries getting hurt or taken down a notch in some way. It's like, the internet has always hated women, but I feel like some parts are getting specifically worse.

Also one of the easiest ways to pick out a shitty person is if they bring up the Depp/Heard trial.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2022, 04:08 PM

Interestingly, I’m seeing a roughly 50/50 split between people bringing up the trial, and articles about how anyone who brings up the trial is awful.

Hot take: Depp looks greasy and bloated. It pains me to even watch him.

Thorzdad
May 27, 2022, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I know it's always been there, but I'm seeing more and more of reddit absolutely LOVING the chance to hate women. Any gif of a woman being put "in her place" by being proven wrong, or failing in some way, or getting shut down are wildly popular. Any gif like this you can count on the top comments always being some form of "WHAT A FUCKEN BITCH!." I've unsubbed from a couple subreddits that were becoming nearly exclusively content of women, POC, and people from other countries getting hurt or taken down a notch in some way. It's like, the internet has always hated women, but I feel like some parts are getting specifically worse.
Butthurt incels ruin everything for everyone.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2022, 07:51 AM

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2022, 08:12 AM

To my surprise, I’m apparently hanging out in a slightly better class of sub. It’s not all friendly, but nowhere near as filled with venom either.

https://www.reddit.com/r/instant_reg.../well_deserved

andi*pandi
May 28, 2022, 01:21 PM

can everyone upvote the one useful post on the first link that points out it was a schoolwide water fight?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2022, 07:00 PM

Reported for brigading.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2022, 07:37 PM

WHAT A SLUT!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2022, 11:04 AM

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2022, 11:05 AM

reader50
Administrator
Jun 4, 2022, 02:31 PM

A scissors clamp like that is only reliable when pulling straight up. The mistake was tilting the load. They should have moved the crane instead.

On the water running lady, I appreciate how she protected the umbrella from getting wet.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2022, 02:38 PM

I was wondering what the deal was with that. I know little about crane scale stuff.

I do know about umbrellas, though, and that’s a parasol.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2022, 01:05 PM

Interestingly, I’m seeing a roughly 50/50 split between people bringing up the trial, and articles about how anyone who brings up the trial is awful.

Hot take: Depp looks greasy and bloated. It pains me to even watch him.
I almost completely coverage, but whenever I couldn’t, I just kept thinking, “Man, both of these people really REALLY need help, and this kind of publicity is the opposite of helpful…”

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2022, 03:41 PM

reader50
Administrator
Jun 6, 2022, 06:09 PM

Natural selection in action. He'd have helped the average IQ even more if he'd stayed in the car.

ps - I don't think it was worth walking back to the car afterwards.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2022, 12:48 AM

I’ve got nothing.

andi*pandi
Jun 8, 2022, 11:28 PM

That is the type of idiot that makes the train authority tell cities they have to create double gates and medians around crossings.

We had train horns blaring at every crossing 6x a day until the city complied and installed some PITA medians on streets not quite wide enough for them.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2022, 09:31 AM

How's this for a woops: When you install the profile and download the Ventura beta from Software Update, instead of downloading an install app that you have to run manually like previous macOS releases, it just goes ahead and reboots and starts installing. So if you are planning to install the beta on a VM or an external drive/partition or something, you'd better install Monterey on the VM first and then download the update from there or you'll end up installing a beta OS on your production machine. (SCREAM) (bad emoji are gone now)

Yeesh. Only thing that saved me was that I had an app with a modal window open that prevented the reboot.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Jun 9, 2022 at 10:52 AM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2022, 09:40 AM

Update: In other woops-related news, I tried to put a scream emoji (U+1F631) in the previous post, and it appears to have broken the board. I can't even edit the post, because clicking the button just makes it spin forever. Woops!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2022, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
How's this for a woops: When you install the profile and download the Ventura beta from Software Update, instead of downloading an install app that you have to run manually like previous macOS releases, it just goes ahead and reboots and starts installing. So if you are planning to install the beta on a VM or an external drive/partition or something, you'd better install Monterey on the VM first and then download the update from there or you'll end up installing a beta OS on your production machine. (SCREAM) (bad emoji are gone now)

Yeesh. Only thing that saved me was that I had an app with a modal window open that prevented the reboot.
Holy shit.

That's quite the "Whoops".

Thorzdad
Jun 9, 2022, 03:20 PM

That train video is something that I watch and then wonder if its not a prank. There’s just something about those kinds of vids that make me feel like I’m watching a bit of deft editing. My head starts asking things like “why has someone happen to be recording this guy at this specific moment?” It’s obviously a hand-held camera, and not something like a static security cam. Yes, I know cameras are ubiquitous, but it still feels too convenient.

I’m also kind of surprised the camera doesn’t jump at the moment the train would have supposedly hit the car, or maybe panned a bit with the train to get a shot of whatever happens to the car. I’m also surprised not to see any debris.

I dunno. It might be legit. It just makes me feel like someone’s done a modern take on a Buster Keaton gag via a bit of editing.

</grouchy_old_dude>

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2022, 03:32 PM

The whole thing does have a certain Buster Keaton quality that’s hard to imagine happens for real.

A possible explanation for the handheld is it’s someone filming a screen.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 9, 2022, 08:07 PM

The blowing dust after suggests the car being swept offscreen to tumble in the dirt. Low resolution would make broken glass invisible.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2022, 02:50 PM

Another question is what exactly the guy’s plan was. Hold up the gate over his car while standing outside and…

This reminds me of a minor woops a few years back when I had a parking gate come down right on the bridge of my nose. Kind of amazing my face didn’t break.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2022, 08:18 PM

I should add I am deeply indebted to the morons who came before me and did get their faces shattered by parking gates.

Because of them, this gate had a rubber (baby buggy) bumper, which is why I still have a face.

Forum Links
Forum Rules