Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB & FireWire webcams with QT Broadcaster

USB & FireWire webcams with QT Broadcaster
tokamac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2002, 10:43 AM

What are the webcams compatible with QuickTime Broadcaster ?

It seems that only FireWire webcams work with QTB (but I'm not sure): only those which have the "IIDC" certification (a Texas Instruments chipset).

On the Apple QuickTime Broadcaster FAQ there is no mention of any USB webcam compatibility:
What video input sources does QuickTime Broadcaster support?
QuickTime Broadcaster supports digital video (DV) from most FireWire-based cameras and DV to analog converter boxes (e.g. Sony Media Converter) and analog video through the XLR8 InterView 2.1 USB capture device. IIDC cameras require Mac OS X v10.2 or later.
- Those who have a FireWire webcam like OrangeMicro iBot or a ADStech PYRO 1394 WebCam (both IIDC compliant), can you tell me if you can broadcast with QTB ?

- And those who have a USB webcam like Philips Toucam or Logitech QuickCam, can you also tell me if you can broadcast with QTB ?

I plan to buy a USB webcam and do videoconferencing with my distant family via QuickTime Broadcaster, but if USB webcams don't work, I will buy a FireWire based one. Too bad I have a G4 with no sound input, I will also need to buy a USB microphone. Finally this would be much more money than a simple USB QuickCam with integrated mic...

Forum Links
Forum Rules