Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther

Panther (Page 2)
Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2003, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by NeilCharter:
I personally perfer the integrated format for a calender, mail and address book, simply because it is a faster way to switch between the different functions.

I agree that Outlook has many problems - the address book is pretty crap.

BUT and this is a big but, this system is one reason for corporations not to switch to macs and OS X. If Apple had a comparable offering that either functions similarly or can work within a windows network, then it would remove one more roadblock to getting macs into the office environment.
The next revision of Entourage is supposed to take care of this.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2003, 11:41 AM

As I said about Jaguar, the same is true for Panther:

someone will complain:

1. that there is no driver for their 5-10 year old printer, CD-Rom drive ect.
2. that there are no themes or about aqua, brushed metal
3. some obscure feature wasn't added
4. some obscure feature not fixed
5. not fast enough on new hardware
6. not fast enough on old hardware
7. their favorite haxies break under Panther
8. it will require a restart to install
9. won't ship so enough
10. to expensive
"This is fun, right?"

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2003, 11:43 AM

This is nitpicky, but I'd like to see the print center icon with a progress bar a la photoshop. It's a pain in the ass to click the icon, then select the printer just to see the progress of a print job.

ablaze
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2003, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
This is nitpicky, but I'd like to see the print center icon with a progress bar a la photoshop. It's a pain in the ass to click the icon, then select the printer just to see the progress of a print job.
I see the pages being printed in the icon.

step
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2003, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by IonCable:

someone will complain:

pfft, fully featured drivers for current printers, CD-Rom drives ect would be just dandy

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by ablaze:
I see the pages being printed in the icon.
You see a looping animation of pages being 'fed' into the printer with a page number... but not a "percentage-based" progress bar informing you of your stage in the process.

"Gee... I forget, was that document 17 pages or 27 pages...? The dock icon shows I'm on page 8..."

So that could be 50% done or 30% done depending on how many pages are going to print. A percentage-based status bar would certainly have it's benefits.

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2003, 02:31 PM

I'm assuming that current stuff will be fixed and available. Gotta hope for something out of a new update.
"This is fun, right?"

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 12:12 AM

I want them to make the scrollbars look better. I don't know why, I just have never like the scrollbars.

There are a few little finder things that could improve, and the open/save blah blah blah

Mostly its just these scrollbars I don't like.

I think apple is doing great. Some other developers I think could step up a little *macromedia*.

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2003, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by Fotek2001:
Metadata means storing information about filetypes in the file rather than in the filename. This would mean you wouldn't have to put .doc at the end of a file to make it open in Word. Something based on MIME would be good here.
Minor nit-picking correction...

Metadata is data stored in the file system, NOT in the file. Eg, the date/time permissions and name of the file are all metadata stored in the file system and not in the file (that's right, the file name is not actually stored in the file in most cases).

What is suggested is that some other metadata be added to use for determining the file type without requiring it to be in the file name (which is actually metadata anyway).

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
Mar 26, 2003, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
I want them to make the scrollbars look better. I don't know why, I just have never like the scrollbars.

There are a few little finder things that could improve, and the open/save blah blah blah

Mostly its just these scrollbars I don't like.
Ya I know that if the only thing the fix it should be the scrollbars. People would easily pay $129 just for that

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2003, 05:34 AM

Something based on MIME would be good here.
Realize that while the idea for a standard method of file typing is cool, MIME is severely lacking in some areas. Most notably, MIME only has a handful of standard file types (for example, there is no standard MIME type for Mac OS X disk images).

Apple needs to provide an abstraction on top of MIME, File Name Extensions, and Type Codes, allowing application vendors to easy translate between them when necessary.

dont.wanna.tell
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2003, 02:35 PM

Whatever they decide to do, they _NEEED_ to do it now!

Just today I was totally stuck with a disk immage that DiscCopy just refused to open because "This is a unknown file format".

Well, guess what: It did open just dandy after I appended ".img" to it....

My father just didn't have had a chance to get this fixed. - So far for the most userfriendly operating system in the world....

Still steaming,
Martin

Amorph
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2003, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Brass:
Minor nit-picking correction...

Metadata is data stored in the file system, NOT in the file.
So HFS doesn't support metadata?

Metadata is data about data. Where it is stored is an implementation issue, not a defining trait.
James

"I grew up. Then I got better." - Sea Wasp

OreoCookie
Mar 29, 2003, 06:45 AM

#1 Feature Request

- native 64 bit support

Filesystem/Finder

- new filesystem, similar to BeFS, combined with FreeBSD's SoftUpdates!
- a new Finder that accompanies the new FS: a new way to work with files. Searches replace directories transparently (e. g. searching for all office presentations, each belongs to a specific project, etc.)

Networking

- NFS as replacement of AppleTalk
- OpenLDAP as replacement of NetInfo (I really would like to configure my iBook in the same way I would configure my FreeBSD box)

System

- more overall stability (10.1.4 was the most stable OS X IMHO) and better balanced performance (less GUI freezes in favor of a bit slower GUI)
- complete removal of the debug code (ok, old corny joke, I know )

GUI

- keep striped Aqua in pro apps (like Keynote and hopefully Mail.app)
- new open/save dialogs that accompany the new Filesystem (e. g. a file belongs to several groups (work > file number, kind of document (presentation), destination, etc.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ameat
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2003, 03:26 PM

I think apple is doing great. Some other developers I think could step up a little *macromedia*.
...macromedia needs to step up its mac applications. however, as far as vision, i think macromedia is really taking some interesting moves in leveraging flash as an application platform.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2003, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
Actually, it should be quite the opposite.
Where do you get that? Short of allowing the end user to disable live window moving/resizing, I don't see what Apple could do to improve performance on the G3.
Agent69

dawho9
Senior User
Mar 29, 2003, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by beb:
Work with Novell to make the mail.app a Groupwise compatible client.
I have it from a good source (my Novell rep) that at Brainshare this year (about 20 days from today) Novell will be announcing a new Mac OSX GroupWise Client for GroupWise 6.5.

Cannot wait for it - I have been waiting for a long time.

dw9

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2003, 09:41 PM

Me too. It's like they stick out a bit too much or something.

WombatPredator
Mar 29, 2003, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by sweatervest:
Get
Show Desktop... that is exactly what it was meant for.
Learn yourself some shortcuts:

- option-click on the desktop (anywhere) from an open app will hide all windows from open apps and switch to the Finder.
- option-close box closes all open windows (option-minimize will obviously minimize all windows), By extension, option-command-w will do the same.

beb
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2003, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by dawho9:
I have it from a good source (my Novell rep) that at Brainshare this year (about 20 days from today) Novell will be announcing a new Mac OSX GroupWise Client for GroupWise 6.5.

Cannot wait for it - I have been waiting for a long time.

dw9
Thanks!

Have been waiting for it for a long time as well. Having that and at least a carbonized distiller and I'll be good to go.

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2003, 01:45 AM

Apple's X-window app will be included.

Windows (and their buttons) will no longer be able to get so close to the dock that you can't click them and have the dock expand over the button causing you to not only miss your button but accidently launch some app that takes as long to launch as it does to read this sentance in it's entirety.

Universal spell checking so people won't think I'm an idiot.

The print center will be so much faster than it is now, people will think they have a new printer.

It will be easier to share any file to any number of people.

It will now be possible (especially in the server version) to have a new or copied folder automatically adopt the privaliges of it's new enclosing folder. Yea, actual FILE SHARING. I don't understand why this was a problem to begin with.

We won't get this, but it would be nice. In column view we could re-organize by date modified, size, etc...

A system pref for keyboard brightness???

I'm out of ideas. NEXT

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2003, 08:14 AM

I'm a new Mac user, but I'm already looking forward about this new OS ^_^ I can't wait until it arrives! I'm going to preorder it as soon as it's available.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2003, 02:01 PM

sources say that 10.3 will actually take atvantage or bettter use the ddr ram on all the new g4's. That is a pluse. Also better mobile use for battires possibly. Speed improvements will be there. And since it is a jungle theme maybe another jungle app.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2003, 02:44 PM

sources say that 10.3 will actually take atvantage or bettter use the ddr ram on all the new g4's.
A good rumor, but it doesn't pass the sanity test. The interface between the CPU and the RAM is fundamentally a hardware design issue, not subject to software control.

Chris

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2003, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
sources say that 10.3 will actually take atvantage or bettter use the ddr ram on all the new g4's. That is a pluse. Also better mobile use for battires possibly. Speed improvements will be there. And since it is a jungle theme maybe another jungle app.
Software will not help the DDR issue. Also, what is the current "Jungle" application?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2003, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
Software will not help the DDR issue. Also, what is the current "Jungle" application?
Safari I'd guess. Fits well with Jaguar and also Panther of course...

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2003, 08:21 PM

It is possible. Just like on apples web site like for the g4 it always always optimized for the G4 proccsor. Eather way

Safria
Jag
Panther

all 3 are jungle theme. What is next.

npmccallum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2003, 08:31 PM

It is possible. Just like on apples web site like for the g4 it always always optimized for the G4 proccsor. Eather way

Safria
Jag
Panther

all 3 are jungle theme. What is next.
Bushmen

MasonMcD
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2003, 08:56 PM

So the new system alert sound will be Kung!

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2003, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by Amorph:
So HFS doesn't support metadata?

Metadata is data about data. Where it is stored is an implementation issue, not a defining trait.
Okay, I deserved that for oversimplifying

FILESYSTEM metadata is not stored in the files, but in the filesystem (I guess that's what I meant - I just assumed that when people were saying "metadata" in this context, they meant filesystem metadata).

File metadata / filesystem metadata, as being discussed in the context earlier, is not and cannot be stored in the file, as the file MUST contain the data and nothing but the data. Eg, a plain text file cannot contain anything but the actual text data. Any metadata must be stored elsewhere, such as in the file name, or somewhere else in the file system.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2003, 10:34 PM

Was there really ever a "Jungle" theme?

The OS X codenames were after cats:

Puma, Jaguar, Panther.

The Apple browser name fits the browser conventions of venturing out:

Navigator, Explorer, Safari.

Has Apple ever showed "Me Tarzan, You Jane" type artwork to suggest a larger jungle theme?

Personally, I'd prefer they left the monkeyman connotations to Microsoft and Steve Ballmer.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2003, 11:25 PM

when was it every puma. I never new about that. Cool. Its not techniqually a jungle theme just sorta you can think of it as a jungle theme.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2003, 05:01 AM

Originally posted by michaelb:
Personally, I'd prefer they left the monkeyman connotations to Microsoft and Steve Ballmer.
LOL.

I agree 100%.

antofic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2003, 05:08 AM

Just some info's about HSF+ and metadata.

The most logical place to store metadata is within the file in some "other" fork.
HFS+ support an infinite number of named forks for every file.
The standard file data go in the "" (empty string) named fork.
The OS9 resources (today deprecated) go in the "RESOURCE_FORK" named fork.

For every file, a new fork can be created and named "DONALD_DUCK", for example, and can be used to store any metadata you want.
The developer docs are at:
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/...ger/index.html
See:
- FSCreateFork
- FSOpenFork
- FSReadFork
- FSWriteFork
- FSCloseFork
- FSDeleteFork

HSF+ is born with metadata support, while the system today offer only some limited support to the old and deprecated (sich...) resources stored in the resource fork.

HFS+ is fully 64 bit, too, so the differences with BeOS aren't at filesystem level, but at system level. BeOS fully support the filesystem capabilities, Mac OS X not.

Sorry for my poor english.
( Last edited by antofic; Mar 31, 2003 at 11:04 AM. )

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2003, 04:36 AM

when was it every puma. I never new about that. Cool. Its not techniqually a jungle theme just sorta you can think of it as a jungle theme.
10.1 I think.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2003, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by npmccallum:
Bushmen

or how about oompa loompas?

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2003, 12:17 PM

That is dumb.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2003, 12:52 PM

... The Jungle!

... Of course, also featuring the imminent OS X (Pink) Panther theme...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 11:00 PM

1) In column view, permit sort by date, size, type, etc. I get so irritated browsing for files in column view (the greatest aspect of OS X, IMO) only to have to switch to list view just to sort my view. Grrrr.

2) User options for GUI effects. For the love of God, Apple - let us switch the eye candy off if we don't want it. Give us options like in Windows XP to toggle GUI effects and appearance. It would be nice if the 'computer for the rest of us' weren't such a damned dictator...

3) Windows networking. Still quite buggy and unreliable. The "Go" Menu is still, IMHO, a poor replacement for the Chooser (which wasn't much to cry home about, granted...)

4) Printing. Probably the worst part of OSX is setting up printers, particularly networked or mixed environment printers. If there is one process in Windows that is streamlined, it is setting up networked printers.
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2003, 11:46 PM

Don't forget 10.0 was code-named Cheetah.
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2003, 12:59 AM

Optimized for the G4 basically means it uses Altivec (and perhaps the -mtune and -mcpu options in GCC). Optimized for DDR... I guess would mean it that it uses DMA tasks more (the current DDR implementation doesn't help memory bandwidth to the processor at all, but it helps for other devices), so I guess an improvement to QuartzGL (Quartz Extreme) would count for that. It's a bit of a stretch though.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2003, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by Bluebomber21XX:
Don't forget 10.0 was code-named Cheetah.
Was it really cheetah. Honestly.

So 10.0 cheetah
10.1 Puma
10.2 Jaguar
10.3 Pink panther
10.4 what will be next. Sabortooth tiger ?!?
10.5 ?!?!? any Ideas.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2003, 03:25 AM

10.4 what will be next. Sabortooth tiger ?!?
10.5 ?!?!? any Ideas.
Cougar, Leopard, Mac OS X v.10.not.for.whiners ?

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2003, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
Cougar, Leopard, Mac OS X v.10.not.for.whiners ?
MS Im wondering If apple works will be as full featured as Office. Now with Key note. being a lot better t han Power point. Maybe they will in the future. with 10.3

Sven G
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2003, 07:13 AM

... Another (im)possible (Pink) Panther preview: just ideally substitute "OS X 10.3" instead of "OS/2 2.1" and "Apple" instead of "IBM" - and profoundly wish/pray that OS X will finally succeed in a much better way (which it certainly will, hopefully)!...

( Last edited by Sven G; Apr 5, 2003 at 07:18 AM. )

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2003, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by Sven G:
... Another (im)possible (Pink) Panther preview: just ideally substitute "OS X 10.3" instead of "OS/2 2.1" and "Apple" instead of "IBM" - and profoundly wish/pray that OS X will finally succeed in a much better way (which it certainly will, hopefully)!...

Good picture. Funny. I hope with 10.3 even more people will switch to Mac's. Also cnet sited a guy wanting to make cheeper clones for mac's. Around_500 to 600 and 700 dollars that would run os 10.2 and further more Panther etc. Upgradable. I hope they pull threw. I was noticing at the apple store the imac and it being in a office. More of a office invoriment with new apps for a office. Any thoughts. We need more people to reply and check it out.

JB72
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by IonCable:

someone will complain:

2. that there are no themes or about aqua, brushed metal
3. some obscure feature wasn't added
4. some obscure feature not fixed
5. not fast enough on new hardware
6. not fast enough on old hardware
7. their favorite haxies break under Panther
8. it will require a restart to install
9. won't ship so enough
10. to expensive
11. FTP still doesn't work.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 07:07 AM

need...themes...better...Finder....resist urge not to pound on already-warped-iBook keyboard
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

simon steiner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2003, 09:49 AM

cut and paste of files in the finder

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2003, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by tgrundke:
1) In column view, permit sort by date, size, type, etc. I get so irritated browsing for files in column view (the greatest aspect of OS X, IMO) only to have to switch to list view just to sort my view. Grrrr.
YES! FIX THIS! I'm pretty pliable wrt OS X interface and functions, but this drives me nuts to no end.

I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules