Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Tumult SourceTab: New Tabbed Editor

Tumult SourceTab: New Tabbed Editor
tumultco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2004, 03:29 AM

I like tabbed code editors, and since I am unaware of any good ones for Mac OS X, I decided to write my own: Tumult SourceTab. Here's a list of some of the features I've implemented so far:

- Tab bar
- Syntax Highlighting: awk, C, C++, HTML, Java, Jimp, LaTeX, Perl, PHP, and Objective-C.
- Code Snippets
- A persistent document shelf
- Xcode integration
- GREP-based find/replace (thanks to OgreKit)
- Right/left shifting of code blocks

It is a beta version, and there's a lot of things that need work (like the tab bar, especially!), but I thought I'd post a special sneak peak to this forum to get some feedback/beta testers. If you're adventurous, please download it and tell me what you think (good or bad). Make sure to view known issues in the ReadMeFirst file before you start using it heavily.

Download Link: SourceTab.dmg

Screen Shot: SourceTabSS.jpg

Web Page: http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~deutschj/SourceTab/

Please do not post this on any trackers/download sites, since it is not ready for prime-time yet.

I look forward to hearing your comments!

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 11:49 AM

Nice idea. Does it share code with HyperEdit? Some notes:

1) Crashed when I did "Customize Toolbar".
2) The shortcuts don't work with the command keys supplied but do when I double-click them
3) Needs to be able to open files over FTP and SFTP (this is what always keeps me on BBEdit)
4) Needs a "preview in Browser" option for HTML
5) Needs Python support
6) Needs Bourne shell support
7) Needs tag balancing (command-B in BBEdit)

Since I work on an iBook, a tabbed editor to replace BBEdit would be great. Keep working on it!
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

tumultco  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2004, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
Nice idea. Does it share code with HyperEdit? Some notes:

1) Crashed when I did "Customize Toolbar".
2) The shortcuts don't work with the command keys supplied but do when I double-click them
3) Needs to be able to open files over FTP and SFTP (this is what always keeps me on BBEdit)
4) Needs a "preview in Browser" option for HTML
5) Needs Python support
6) Needs Bourne shell support
7) Needs tag balancing (command-B in BBEdit)

Since I work on an iBook, a tabbed editor to replace BBEdit would be great. Keep working on it!
It shares about 75% of its code with HyperEdit. I am using SourceTab as a way to independently test some upcoming HyperEdit code (like the new Snippets groupings and new Syntax Highlighter). Adapting this code to SourceTab was extremely easy; I was able to "slap" SourceTab together in about 2 part-time weeks.

1) Fixed. I forgot an @-sign in front of a string :-p. Thanks for pointing that bug out.
2) This is bizarre. Does the text view have focus (it needs to), or does the snippet table? Does it not work for all snippet shortcuts?
3) I plan to add external editor support, so you can open from Transmit/Fetch/NetFinder for FTP and SFTP.
4) Will do. Very easy, actually. The hardest thing is making a toolbar icon for it!
5) Python will definitely be added.
6) Bourne shell support will be added too.
7) I could not get this feature to work in BBEdit. Pressing Command-B while in an HTML page should do something, right?

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by tumultco:
2) This is bizarre. Does the text view have focus (it needs to), or does the snippet table? Does it not work for all snippet shortcuts?
Text has focus. I was in a java file trying the java sample command. I didn't try the others.

3) I plan to add external editor support, so you can open from Transmit/Fetch/NetFinder for FTP and SFTP.
I wish you could add it natively. You could use the command-line tools for implementation. I just really like the integration that BBEdit has.

7) I could not get this feature to work in BBEdit. Pressing Command-B while in an HTML page should do something, right?
I don't use it in HTML. I use it in Java. Suppose you have this:

Code:
float right_denom = Math.ceil(Float.parseFloat(myFormatter.format(old_denom * 1.1)));
Put the cursor somewhere in those parentheses in BBEdit and hit command-B. It works for square brackets and squiggly brackets too.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Forum Links
Forum Rules