Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Finder button to auto launch Slideshow

Finder button to auto launch Slideshow
tokamac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 03:06 PM

The slideshow feature of Windows XP is nice and we didn't have anything that could match it, except with iPhoto, but we had to launch it before. Now in Tiger we have a slideshow feature (a cool one!) embedded into Finder too.
But I miss the way Windows XP handles it better. Yes, you can precisely select files you want to display on Tiger, but the OS is unable to "see" when a folder is full of pictures, and don't show any "Play button" in Finder. We have to manually select pictures with mouse, and ctrl-click (or right-click, or click the Action button) then select "Slideshow". Anyway this is half done, since this feature is correctly implemented into Spotlight search result window... weird.

So I made an AppleScript that fits inside Finder toolbar. It automatically detects and selects all pictures inside the front Finder window, then clicks on the Action button and launches slideshow.
It wasn't that simple because there is no "Slideshow" menu item into Finder File menu, and UI scripting is complex regarded to contextual menus and Finder toolbar, but I found some workaround and managed to make a viable application.
I made a little icon too, which fits well near others Aqua toolbar buttons.
You can download "Slideshow" AppleScript by clicking onto the preview below:

Important Note: You need to put the script somewhere in your HD where people won't see nor touch it: it can work seamlessly only from its Finder toolbar alias. The script must be placed along "Path" and "Action" button menus (these items are expressly required). Finally, UI scripting via System Events must be activated in System "Universal Access" prefpane (check "Enable access for assistive devices" at the bottom), but don't bother about this because the script asks you to do so, and leads you to the right place if needed.
( Last edited by tokamac; Feb 14, 2006 at 01:08 PM. )

kilechki
Forum Regular
May 17, 2005, 07:50 PM

This is a wonderful idea : it solves with elegance the inaccessibility of Tiger's diaporama feature.
Alas, in my case, it *should* solve it for the script does not seem to work.
If I try to use it with pictures in my 'pictures' folder, I just get back to the 'users' folder. If I use it with pictures in my desktop folder, all pictures (including pictures that were not selected) just get trashed.
I use a 10.4.1 clean installed Tiger, with french as main language ; quelque affinage serait donc le bienvenu.

Hopefully you'll manage to make your script work as you planned, this would really be great.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
May 17, 2005, 07:59 PM

Great Idea, doesn't work.

tokamac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by kilechki
I use a 10.4.1 clean installed Tiger, with french as main language ; quelque affinage serait donc le bienvenu.
Hopefully you'll manage to make your script work as you planned, this would really be great.
Ce script est dépendant de la langue utilisée, parce qu'il simule certaines touches du clavier, "S" en Anglais (pour "Slideshow") et "D" en Français (pour "Diaporama"). Donc le script anglais ne marche pas sur un système français, et inversement.
Now, translation for everyone:
This script is different according to the system main language, because it simulates keystokes, "S" in English (for "Slideshow") and "D" in French (for "Diaporama"). So this English script doesn't work on a French system, and vice-versa.

But there is also a French version (that you kilechki must use), and this English version that I posted here. Alas for now, the script doesn't work on different languages such as German, Chinese etc... systems.

step
Forum Regular
May 18, 2005, 03:45 AM

hi, thanks!
it works for me, standard tiger, english language.

tokamac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
Great Idea, doesn't work.
Moonmonkey, do you use a Chinese system ?

step
Forum Regular
May 18, 2005, 03:51 AM

btw the finder's slideshow will only show the first hundred pictures in a folder, whilst the spotlight search slideshow shows any number (but lacks the expose like thumbnail view) wierd

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 05:34 AM

Excellent! very much looking forward to trying this. Wonderful thinking.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
May 18, 2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by tokamac
Moonmonkey, do you use a Chinese system ?

No, US English.

When I put it in the toolbar it selected all the images, the jumped to my home directory.

If you can break the dependance on GUI based scripting it would be a lot better.

JKT
Professional Poster
May 18, 2005, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by step
btw the finder's slideshow will only show the first hundred pictures in a folder, whilst the spotlight search slideshow shows any number (but lacks the expose like thumbnail view) wierd
Which is a crippling decision (wrt to the Finder). I can understand limiting the index to 100 or so images, but any additional to that should be available on page 2, 3, 4 etc...

I also wish you could change the speed of these slideshows - the current default is too long for my tastes.

tokamac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
No, US English.
When I put it in the toolbar it selected all the images, the jumped to my home directory.
Strange... and you have the "Path" button in the toolbar?

If you can break the dependance on GUI based scripting it would be a lot better.
Well, this is the way I wanted it to be, but Apple made it very hard, practically impossible to achieve:
- There is no "Slideshow" menu item below the Finder File menu of menu bar, meaning it is impossible to call the feature that way,
- Contextual submenu items (with ctrl-click or Action button) cannot directly be called in AS, even with System Events! We can select these particular submenus only with some tricks like keystrokes, page down/up keys and activate them by simulating Enter key press. Difficult, it is.

kilechki
Forum Regular
May 18, 2005, 01:25 PM

The french localized script you provided works wonderfully for me. I can't understand how Apple forgot to associate a regular button in the window toolbar for the slideshow, it is almost the first thing I looked for in Tiger. Also, it is a shame not to have any default keystroke or menu item associated with this action. GUI guidelines must have been lost in some drawer.
So, you cannot be blamed for the lack of elegance of your solution, that eventually does the job fairly well. Hopefully a 10.4.X update will adress this problem.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 11:23 AM

Doesn't seem to work...

NSReceiverEvaluationScriptError: 4

"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 04:43 PM

Maybe this: "UI scripting via System Events must be activated in System "Universal Access" prefpane, but don't bother about this because the script asks you to do so, and leads you to the right place if needed."?

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain
Maybe this: "UI scripting via System Events must be activated in System "Universal Access" prefpane, but don't bother about this because the script asks you to do so, and leads you to the right place if needed."?
I looked for that option but it doesn't seem to be there.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2006, 08:16 AM

It probably means the "Enable access for assistive devices" option - English is obviously not this developers first (user) language:

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2006, 08:21 AM

Looking at the script, my post above is correct. Word of warning - always look at an Applescript before you try running it to make sure it isn't going to do anything nefarious (drag and drop it to Script Editor to open it). This one does what it says on the tin and works.

tokamac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by JKT
It probably means the "Enable access for assistive devices" option - English is obviously not this developers first (user) language:

Hi. Yes, this is the good statement in English, thanks! French is indeed my first language, and moreover I didn't even have Tiger at home when I created this AppleScript at first. I edit my initial post so it will be easier to understand.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by JKT

Yeah, that option is checked in my system preferences. Still no dice...

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2006, 01:35 PM

Make sure you have the script icon in the right location on the toolbar, then try quitting the Finder and re-launching it, then running the script.

tokamac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 01:57 PM

Also try Repair Permissions, it often helps.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2006, 02:45 PM

Downloaded and it works. Thanks! Great idea.

fhoubi
Senior User
Feb 14, 2006, 05:41 PM

Beautiful! BTW for dutch you have to change the key commands to "dia" as there is a "dupliceer" and the "diavoorstelling" option.

It there a script genius who can alter it slightly so it would use only those files which are already selected, or all pictures when no files selected..? (Tricky.. It should first filter the selection for viewable pictures only...)
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 07:13 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything right but I'm getting the same error. I've tried all the suggestions above. Maybe it's something to do with the extras I have installed in my contextual menus? (Quickimage, Toast, etc)

Forum Links
Forum Rules