Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook Battery Recall

Powerbook Battery Recall (Page 2)
Orion27
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by rydmerlin
Good luck getting thru at 2am.

"Please check the serial number and try again. Or, in the United States, call 800-275-2273 between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. PST for further assistance. For other countries, please use our contact page to find the appropriate support number. "

Secondly, I don't care who the problems lay with. Apple has the obligation to it's customers whether they own AAPL or not. I can hardly get my battery replaced by Sony so that means nothing to me. Sure they are the reason why Apple is having to recall the batteries but they aren't the reason why Apple hasn't implemented the solution correctly.

I called this morning at 6:40PST and it was still busy.
I could not imagine if all customers were like you. Click on my link in the above post. I don't know what your problem is.

indigoimac
Senior User
Aug 25, 2006, 12:08 PM

They seem to have gotten there act together, they have a link on the front page and my previously autorized comp and unauth batt is now good to go and I got the email saying 4-6weeks blah, blah, blah. Wouldn't it have been a good idea for them to have set all this stuff up in advance of coming out w/ a press release, seems like somebody dropped the ball.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2006, 12:42 PM

Finally got through on the phone only to be told that their systems are down and to call back later :-P .

BigDaddy
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Orion27
I could not imagine if all customers were like you. Click on my link in the above post. I don't know what your problem is.

Agreed. The website worked fine for me. My unit is on the way. I think people just like to cry.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2006, 01:43 PM

Worked fine for me.

I did this earlier for my MBP batteries (original and spare). The new one I've received (and tested) is noticeably cooler and has a longer run time.

Not sure what they fixed, but I'm glad they are taking care of this - hopefully before all laptops are banned on airplane carryons.

rydmerlin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 02:40 PM

What?

You were the one telling me to try calling them at 2AM in the morning right when they already say they are available b/w 6am and 6pm.

secondly your support09 link fails just like the main link

dsteinman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by sammjordan
Same here, it says my 12" pb falls in the range, but my battery number doesn't match (even though it falls within the range given on the recall website 3K428 - 3K611)

Guess I'm going to have to wait till later to order the battery
ditto for me.. the inconsitency is somewhat confusing, will I or won't I spontaneously combust ?

PowerBook04
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 03:30 PM

How long do you think we can wait until we apply for the new battery? I was thinking of using my old battery for another half a year at least (i know it's a little risky incase something overheats), so that I can delay getting the new battery as much as possible.. They seem to still doing last year's battery recall exchange for the Powerbooks and iBooks. What do you guys think?

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 03:36 PM

I replaced my original 15" PB battery a full year after the original recall, simply because I did not have the time to do so. NO problems.

I think after a year, the programme will still be in place.

... and now my replacement battery again falls into the recall range.

...who hoo new battery again for me...

...anyone else in the same boat?
( Last edited by shabbasuraj; Aug 25, 2006 at 06:18 PM. )
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2006, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by milhous
it appears that the serial number range(s) has been shifted up and my battery no longer qualifies for the exchange. the original range was 6C510-6C626 and is now 6C519 through 6C552
I had a screen shot of the Apple page from yesterday when I first tried to register my battery, so around 4pm EST and the range you quoted (6C510...) did not exist. From the screen shot I have it has always been 6C519...

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2006, 04:39 PM

fwiw, my powerbook runs at about 52-60C with moderate use with the battery
with JUST the power plugged in, no battery, its running at 23-27C with the same usage...

rydmerlin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 04:52 PM

So for those folks who are getting the response that their battery's serial # is invalid or doesn't qualify.

Apparently Apple is saying to their tech people that even if your number falls within the posted ranges it still might not be a Sony made battery. So this tells me that they know from the rest of the # whether it's a Sony battery or not and they need the full number to make that determination.

Unfortunately there is no way for them to confirm that my battery is not a Sony battery.

Apple needs to learn from this that

1. Errors that say "Invalid or Inelligible" aren't helpful. If I'm Inelligible tell me why. ie. tell me that it's not a Sony battery.

2. I still want a way to confirm that my other battery is not a Sony battery. I don't want someone to tell me oh we've heard that numbers that still fall in the range might not be Sony batteries. I want a system that tells me exactly that my serial number isn't a Sony battery and tell me then who made it.

sammjordan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by rydmerlin
So for those folks who are getting the response that their battery's serial # is invalid or doesn't qualify.

Apparently Apple is saying to their tech people that even if your number falls within the posted ranges it still might not be a Sony made battery. So this tells me that they know from the rest of the # whether it's a Sony battery or not and they need the full number to make that determination.

Unfortunately there is no way for them to confirm that my battery is not a Sony battery.

Apple needs to learn from this that

1. Errors that say "Invalid or Inelligible" aren't helpful. If I'm Inelligible tell me why. ie. tell me that it's not a Sony battery.

2. I still want a way to confirm that my other battery is not a Sony battery. I don't want someone to tell me oh we've heard that numbers that still fall in the range might not be Sony batteries. I want a system that tells me exactly that my serial number isn't a Sony battery and tell me then who made it.
NO, they're just having problems with the database of their numbers. It was telling me the same thing on the website yesterday, so I called apple. They got my order through. I don't know why you think this is some kind of conspiracy by apple against you

rydmerlin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 05:41 PM

Nobody is saying it's a conspiracy. I'm simply going by what the Apple guy told me about the information they received an hour before I called _today_ ...

They have been told that some of the numbers that fall in the range are not Sony batteries therefore the system says they aren't elligble.

I actually trust that Apple can correctly check whether a number falls in a range so I don't think there's a problem with their database. I just believe there's additional checking they do on numbers that fall in that range that also tells them that the battery isn't a Sony one.

Originally Posted by sammjordan
NO, they're just having problems with the database of their numbers. It was telling me the same thing on the website yesterday, so I called apple. They got my order through. I don't know why you think this is some kind of conspiracy by apple against you

rydmerlin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 05:44 PM

All of that said I'm skeptical that you have a prefix overlap b/w manufacturers though since if they followed the scheme used by NIC vendors the prefix would identify the vendor and therefore the range would be correct. However it depends how many digits make up that prefix.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2006, 07:30 PM

It happened to me too. I have two batteries for a 15” PB that are within the serial numbers of those recalled.

However, when I used the online form and submitted the serial numbers the reply was “This serial number is invalid or does not qualify for the program.”

I called Apple. The guy on the phone told me that not all batteries within these serial numbers were made by Sony. Mine apparently are not and I was told they were “Good to go.” Can anybody verify this is true?

There is nothing about this on their site.

rydmerlin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 08:08 PM

Yeah the problem is that the consequences of a misdiagnosis could be disastrous the burden of proof is on apple's end. I for one would like to see a clear message telling me why they think my battery is either invalid or not elligible. Even after the initial high volume recall period I still want a way to confirm that this other battery is in fact not Sony made.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 09:34 PM

Less than 24 hrs after registering for a replacement battery, it has arrived. Pretty impressive, Apple.

By the way... who is going to actually return their original battery? Anyone tempted to keep it as a spare?


B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2006, 10:03 PM

Hmm.. still being told my PB is eligable but my battery is not... seems like this is a very common problem. If this is due to my (and others') batteries falling within the range but not being made by Sony, I'd like for Apple to let us know.

I rung up Apple Japan yesterday - all they said was that the website was very busy, please try it again later.

I have the problem that in 4 weeks I'll be in Japan, but in 6 weeks I'll be in NZ. Hoping that when I finally get this to work it will take less than a month to ship...
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Brian Live
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2006, 12:26 AM

Just thought I'd post my experience...

After reading about the battery recall I went on the Apple support site, at approx 9PM EST, filled in all of my information for the battery & computer serial #s. I was then told that BOTH of them were NOT eligable for the replacemnt.

I tried again just now, 12AM Friday night, and both of them went through without a problem. The site told me the battery would be sent as soon as possible.

So for those of you that were told that yopur battery did not originally go through, definitly try it again.

Hope that helps some of you.
-Brian

 PowerMac G5 | Dual 2GHz PPC | 2.5 GB RAM | 30" Cinema Display
 Macbook Pro | 2.2 GHz Core2Duo | 2 GB RAM

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2006, 12:45 AM

im also tempted to keep it as a spare too....i wonder how apple will stop this?...

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2006, 02:35 AM

Well, considering that there is the possibility (however slight) that it could burst into flames and burn down my house, I'll have to say that I'm not the least bit tempted to keep the old battery. Plus, I imagine Apple has some procedure in place for dealing with people who don't send back the old batteries (although if they don't have your credit card, the worst they could probably do would be to send you a bill).

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2006, 04:45 AM

eh, if they send me a bill then i will send the bill back with the battery, but until then i think ill keep it...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2006, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by cbrfanatic
eh, if they send me a bill then i will send the bill back with the battery, but until then i think ill keep it...
Why? Because it's a nice potential risk sitting in your closet? Because it's cool being dishonest?
•

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2006, 05:38 AM

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 26, 2006, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by cbrfanatic
They are recalling these batteries because they might just burst into flame, you know... Wouldn't that be a nice thing to find in your closet?

Really, I doubt Apple would recall any battery they didn't think was potentially BAD. Of course if your closet bursts into flame because there's a bum battery in it, it's your doing, right?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

indigoimac
Senior User
Aug 26, 2006, 01:54 PM

I requested my replacement, but come on, let's be realistic, the chances of them bursting into flames is rather slim 9 out of 1,800,000 not the greatest odds but the potential is pretty low, and I'm willing to guess that if it hasn't already happened, in a 3y/o laptop it sn't gonna happen.

Of Course, now that I've said that mine will burst into flames, o well.

And in regards to keeping them I doubt Apple/Sony will care, they will "dispose" of them anyway you're actually saving them money as they won't have to pay to have them disassembled and recycled.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2006, 03:52 PM

I believe there is a 3 month IIRC window for you to return your recalled battery.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2006, 03:54 PM

what is IIRC if you dont mind me asking?

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2006, 04:45 PM

If I recall correctly.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kenstee
It happened to me too. I have two batteries for a 15” PB that are within the serial numbers of those recalled.

However, when I used the online form and submitted the serial numbers the reply was “This serial number is invalid or does not qualify for the program.”

I called Apple. The guy on the phone told me that not all batteries within these serial numbers were made by Sony. Mine apparently are not and I was told they were “Good to go.” Can anybody verify this is true?

There is nothing about this on their site.
Site has been updated to be much more specific, especially about the serial numbers on th 6N series.

12-inch
iBook G4
ZZ338 - ZZ427
3K429 - 3K611
6C519 - 6C552 ending with S9WA, S9WC or S9WD

12-inch
PowerBook G4
ZZ411 - ZZ427
3K428 - 3K611

15-inch
PowerBook G4
3K425 - 3K601
6N530 - 6N551 ending with THTA, THTB, or THTC
6N601 ending with THTC

diddy_tong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2006, 06:10 AM

I was looking up my friend's 12" Powerbook Battery on the Apple website to see if it was part of the recall. The online form accepted the computer, but rejected the battery. So I had another look at the recall info and noticed that the battery model and serial number is NOT in the Powerbook category, but it IS in the iBook G4 category. Is it possible that they've made some kind of mistake, or would a Powerbook battery have an iBook model and serial number?!

Morbiato
Aug 29, 2006, 06:50 AM

Ordered a replacement battery [in the UK] last Friday [08-25-06] afternoon. The weekend - followed by a Public Holiday on Monday - has passed and the new battery has just arrived at 11.30 am on Tuesday.

We're not used to service like this over here - long may it continue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rangers4me
Aug 29, 2006, 10:28 AM

My email says that the replacement will take 6 weeks for 15" Powerbook. Why so long?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2006, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rangers4me
My email says that the replacement will take 6 weeks for 15" Powerbook. Why so long?

it will probably come sooner; apple is just giving itself a 'window'; better than promising it tomorrow and THEN it takes 6 weeks..!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2006, 08:29 AM

well i hope i get the same speedy service some of you guys are getting, i placed the order for my two powerbooks on the 24th and still nothing yet. im going to pick up two 30" ACD's on friday, can i just swap it there at the apple store?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 30, 2006, 08:40 AM

cbrfanatic, please note that when they STARTED the recall (the very first day) Apple told customers to expect the batteries in "4 to 6 weeks." Let's see...from the 24th to the 30th is (um...carry the two...second derivative...base 27...) 6 days. Unless you're still waiting for a confirmation email, it's good to practice patience.

No, you can't exchange the battery at the Apple Store. Getting batteries there would be a logistical nightmare for both Apple and us. They will SEND YOU your battery. Just be patient. (I know, waiting sucks. Sorry.)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2006, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
cbrfanatic, please note that when they STARTED the recall (the very first day) Apple told customers to expect the batteries in "4 to 6 weeks." Let's see...from the 24th to the 30th is (um...carry the two...second derivative...base 27...) 6 days. Unless you're still waiting for a confirmation email, it's good to practice patience.

No, you can't exchange the battery at the Apple Store. Getting batteries there would be a logistical nightmare for both Apple and us. They will SEND YOU your battery. Just be patient. (I know, waiting sucks. Sorry.)
i am being patient, im fine with my setup now, just stating how some people got theirs withing 4 days, also just stating that i wish i had the same speedy service, thats all. i could easily drive the 25 minutes to the apple store and buy a battery if i needed one that badly. i got both emails within 2 minutes of ordering.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2006, 10:52 AM

The Apple sight acknowleged both my computer and battery. Interestingly, my battery was a replacement Apple battery bought at the beginning of summer. 4-6 weeks delivery. I bet it's sooner. I wonder if replacements would be available at the local Apple Store?
Received Replacement battery 9/5/06 10 days after placing order.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2006, 11:22 AM

UPS tried to deliver my battery yesterday but it needs a sig so I should have it today...

on another note, I use my powerbook all day long and I have noticed it is saying 19% left and before it even gets to the "low battery" warning it just dies and when i plug it in it needs to restart. Could this be another reason for the recall? This batter says it has 80% capacity left but now it seems to be dying at 1 hr or less. this battery is 14 months old BTW.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2006, 12:04 PM

Zerostar -- I imagine that your battery is just showing signs that it is reaching the end of its lifespan (in this case, measured in the number of charge/discharge cycles rather than in time). It shouldn't have anything to do with the recall, but count yourself lucky that you're getting a brand-spanking new battery to replace it.

Speaking of which... DHL came to my house a few minutes ago with 2 new batteries for my 12" PowerBook! The funny thing is that when I submitted the online form, I was told that only one of my batteries qualified. I'm going to assume that I was told that in error and that I should actually be returning both batteries. Anyway, it was a nice surprise. It'll allow me to hold on to the PowerBook for quite a while longer.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2006, 12:06 PM

Oh, a couple of notes from the paperwork that came with the batteries:

You're asked to discharge the battery before returning it by playing a DVD or something with the brightness on maximum.

The new batteries have a 90 day warranty or will assume the remainder of the warranty on your old battery, if that is longer than 90 days.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2006, 10:49 AM

I had 800 some cycles on my battery and its holding only about 1600mAhs so I guess that is bad?

Anyway, it was something else from UPS that I forgot I ordered... is there a tracking site for these batteries?

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2006, 11:08 AM

i just recieved mine today.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2006, 02:49 PM

no tracking number that i kno of, my came via DHL...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2006, 03:54 PM

filled out the online form aug 24, package came today, sept 7.

only..
got 2 packages, 2 batteries!

guess i have to return one, or i get billed for it (it says they will bill u for unreturned batteries).

oh well...

EDIT: EVERY id# is the same on both boxes (EXCEPT ser# on the actual batterie)...
think i can keep both??
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2006, 06:21 PM

I'd like to thank each and every one of you who responded to my post noting that set/sub-set theory exists with a usually all caps NO! with a follow up apology about how I was right, you were wrong and so forth. It's ok. Idiots are as idiots do. and you do do that doo doo that you do so well. Asswipes. "Only on a Mac board" as Jackie Gleason used to say.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2006, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing

only..

guess i have to return one, or i get billed for it (it says they will bill u for unreturned batteries).

oh well...

EDIT: EVERY id# is the same on both boxes (EXCEPT ser# on the actual batterie)...
think i can keep both??
i think you got lucky. i ordered both mine on the 24th also, but only recieved the one for my 15" today, still no battery for the 12" yet.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2006, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by dimmer
I'd like to thank each and every one of you who responded to my post noting that set/sub-set theory exists with a usually all caps NO! with a follow up apology about how I was right, you were wrong and so forth. It's ok. Idiots are as idiots do. and you do do that doo doo that you do so well. Asswipes. "Only on a Mac board" as Jackie Gleason used to say.
OK... Once I deciphered that, it seems that you think that not all batteries in the range are affected, correct? Where is the proof that this is correct? If that were the case, it seems rather odd to publish a range of serial numbers with the instructions (from the Apple web site) "if the first 5 digits of your battery’s 12-digit serial number fall within the noted ranges, please order a replacement battery immediately." And don't call people names. It really makes you sound petty and immature.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing

only..

oh well...

think i can keep both??
I think the same thing happened to me (see above). Did you try and register two batteries or just one? The info included with my batteries didn't mention anything about being charged for keeping a battery.

Forum Links
Forum Rules