Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What is the big deal about heat?

What is the big deal about heat?
kernokerno
Sep 28, 2006, 10:35 AM

When I knew that this was one of the big issues that a lot of people were whining about the core duo MBPs, I was worried too, since i really want a c2d macbook pro.

Then I thought: what the **** is the big deal about the heat? is there any other problem that a computer could have because of the heat? i really doubt so, but i want to read your opinions.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2006, 10:41 AM

Excess component heat can reduce the lifespan of said components or even cause them to fail suddenly. It has also been discussed as one of the major factors in diminishing battery life. Most of Apple's laptops probably are running within their heat tolerance levels, but too much heat isn't a good thing.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2006, 10:43 AM

Also, the production of heat means that it's using more energy than it strictly needs and is putting the rest towards waste heat. The cooler it runs the more efficiently it's using power, and therefore the more cost-effective it is.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2006, 10:46 AM

True dat. Although some heat is unavoidable given the nature of the high-performance electronics involved, excess heat is waste.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2006, 01:12 PM

Have you ever had a hot PowerBook on your lap? It sucks! Esp. in the summer time.
that's a 2nd thought though compared to others already mentioned...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

kernokerno  (op)
Sep 28, 2006, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
Have you ever had a hot PowerBook on your lap? It sucks! Esp. in the summer time.
that's a 2nd thought though compared to others already mentioned...
No, I've never had a laptop at all a MBP's gonna be my first one. I'm asking this for that reason and because some friends told me that the heat is normal and not a big deal.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2006, 07:37 PM

Some heat is normal, but make sure you're wearing jeans the first time you plan to use it on your lap for a while. PowerBooks have been notorious for heat since the PBG4 (the metal case doesn't exactly help with that), and it can take some getting used to.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2006, 05:04 PM

I had someone tell me that the MacBook runs really hot and stuff, but mine so far seems to be running cooler than my PowerBook did.

Forum Links
Forum Rules