Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Where's everyone going for vacation?

Where's everyone going for vacation? (Page 2)
residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 18, 2007, 05:33 PM

that dakotas are really nice if you like to camp/fish/etc. i miss spending time there.

paul w
Mac Elite
May 18, 2007, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
You had me all hot and bothered.

And then you said "South Dakota."
Don't hate on natural beauty, mon. South Dakota, the Black Hills especially, is quite beautiful. Stunning really.

That and there's the Sturgis motorcycle rally which is a one of a kind thing.

kernokerno
May 18, 2007, 06:53 PM

i haven't decided yet. I'm between Zicatela, Oaxaca and Maruata, Michoacán

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2007, 01:11 AM

I want to go to the keys for a bit of fishing, drinking and relaxing. Haven't made any plans yet. Avoiding the worst mosquito months is paramount when planning a trip there. Err, at least it's only about 2 hours away.

The Official Tourism Council Web Site for the Florida Keys! Key Largo, Islamorada, Marathon, Lower Keys, Key West
ice

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2007, 01:13 AM

St. Thomas with my wife this July, to celebrate our 8th year anniversary. Looking forward *very* much to some serious relaxation.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2007, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
If all goes as planned... my SO and I will be spending 2 weeks in St. Maarten/St. Martin (not sure if we're staying on the Dutch or French side) this July. Awesome beaches.... great place to relax.
Stay on the French side if you can, if you're interested in kicking back at the beach. It's much more scenic on that side.

zro
Mac Elite
May 19, 2007, 02:45 AM

My time off this summer kicks all your vacations asses. It will be spent at home with a new baby.
( Last edited by zro; May 19, 2007 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Forgot to smile.)

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2007, 10:23 AM

Incidentally, I just got back from vacation.

We flew into Phoneix, rented a car, and did a six-day stint going to the Grand Canyon, Zion nat'l park, Bryce Canyon, and Arches nat'l park. I hiked more last week than I've done during the rest of my life thus far. We also took like two thousand pictures.

A+ time; the weather was perfect. I highly recommend such a trip - the natural geology and crap that we saw was just amazing.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Atheist
Mac Elite
May 20, 2007, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
Stay on the French side if you can, if you're interested in kicking back at the beach. It's much more scenic on that side.
Yeah... no doubt. I really like Orient beach but I want to stay on the West side of the island cuz I have this thing for sunsets. Looking to rent a house/villa in the hills with a nice view.

Railroader
Banned
May 20, 2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Incidentally, I just got back from vacation.

We flew into Phoneix, rented a car, and did a six-day stint going to the Grand Canyon, Zion nat'l park, Bryce Canyon, and Arches nat'l park. I hiked more last week than I've done during the rest of my life thus far. We also took like two thousand pictures.

A+ time; the weather was perfect. I highly recommend such a trip - the natural geology and crap that we saw was just amazing.
I'd like to do that trip soon.

Postpicspleezekthxnk.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2007, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I'd like to do that trip soon.

Postpicspleezekthxnk.
I'm getting there - I'll put em up on PicasaWeb sometime this week, if I can find the time.

If you DO want to do this kind of trip, book all the lodges/motels/hotels early. All the lodging at the Grand Canyon is owned by a single company. They have a cheap lodge in addition to the pricier stuff - it's only like $60 a night, but it fills up fast. Three of the five places we stayed were nearly $100/night after taxes.

We got a cheap-ass car to save money - it was a Nissan Sentra with good mileage (35mpg average for us), but since it was the economy level, we had no cruise control. Boyfriend got a $100 speeding ticket on I-70 in Utah...I would recommend you spring for a car with cruise. You'll do a LOT of middle-of-nowhere highway driving, so it really keeps you from going too fast.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Jumbonium2007
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2007, 04:01 PM

My GF has never been acrossed the Mackinac Bridge.. So for her birthday im taking her to Mackinac City, St. Ignace, Sault Ste. Marie and Up to paradise to taquamenon falls..
The best suprise will be her birthday dinner at the Antlers Restaraunt In the Soo.. and then walking down to all the gift shops and finish the evening up by watching the sun set over the Soo Locks and perhaps catch a ship or 2 passing thru the locks..
The locks are fun to visit

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
May 21, 2007, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
Don't hate on natural beauty, mon. South Dakota, the Black Hills especially, is quite beautiful. Stunning really.

That and there's the Sturgis motorcycle rally which is a one of a kind thing.
Having lived in South Dakota I will only say two things about South Dakota.

1) It has some great natural beauty.
2) The other 99% of the state sucks big time.
(Also a close third was "Everyone enjoys seeing middle aged professionals dress up in leather and ride bikes to some ass-end small town for a weekend of drinking.")

Yes, I did enjoy living South Dakota.

I just went to the Philippines for a week of diving and sun. A great place to go, and I'd love to go back. I'm working on heading to Easter Island for a week in August. (Or going back to Wisconsin. I'm thinking East Island would be far more interesting)

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2007, 03:30 AM

I may be going to the Canary Islands for a week in August. Should be fun and nice scenary.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

tomrock
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2007, 08:54 AM

Michigan is great. I'm going to Beaver Island, MI this week.

http://eyelandart.com

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2007, 10:22 AM

We're going to Savannah, GA at the end of the year.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2007, 10:38 AM

I went to Philadelphia once, but it was closed.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Forum Links
Forum Rules