Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Generic vs. Name-Brand PC100 SDRAM

Generic vs. Name-Brand PC100 SDRAM
CyberDave
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2000, 05:26 AM

I am getting a brand spankin' new G4 system for college here in a month or two. Obviosly, the base 64MB RAM is not enough and Apple charges WAY too much for RAM when you order a system, so I have spent hours scouring the web for the best prices on PC100 SDRAM.

My question to you all is, have you noticed any difference in quality between generic PC100 SDRAM DIMMs and those which come from major manufactures like Kingston, Crucial (aka Micron), NewerRAM, etc?

For example, Pricewatch.com lists 128MB for $115, described as generic, and buy.com has ValueRAM by Kingston for $145.Should I spend the extra $30 and get a name brand or pocket the difference and go with a generic brand? Anyone have any experience or opinions on this?

Just so you know, I not going to get the system for about a month, after MacWorld New York, but I want to get the RAM ASAP before the recent trend of increasing prices gets any worse.

TIA

Dave Corder

[This message has been edited by CyberDave (edited 06-29-2000).]

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2000, 09:52 AM

The only concern is to verify with the vendor, PRIOR to ordering, the COMPLETE specs for the ram. If the vendor cant or wont provide the details, then shop elsewhere, and check the manufacturer's website. G4's are somewhat picky about their ram specs. Check Apple's TIL site, they have a very complete memory spec guide (for EVERY MAC) available in PDF format that you can download and keep for reference. Make sure the ram you buy meets those specs. BTW, I have 3 Kingston Value ram chips in my B&W G3 (plus the 1factory chip), and have had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS with them. If you have any of the office/computer chains close by (Staples/OfficeMax/Bestbuy) they have been selling 128MB chips for $99.00, (regularly $129.99) about every other week for the past month or 2. See the Sunday newspaper ads.........HTH
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

sblunden
Jun 29, 2000, 01:53 PM

When buying Ram make I would go with a name brand that puts their company name on the Ram chip. If you don't and the Ram goes it near impossible to get it replaced, even if it has a life time warranty. MicroTech and Lifetime brand their RAM Iim not sure who else does but it is important to have that name on the chip.
- s p e n c e r

Forum Links
Forum Rules