Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4...did I make the right choice?

G4...did I make the right choice?
KingLerxst
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2000, 03:31 PM

I recently bought a new 400 Mhz G4, because I've been waiting to save up for one, and finally was able to. I needed it for college coming up in a month or so. I'm just curious to know if I made the right choice by going ahead and buying it a week ago, or should I have waited until after the MacWorld expo? I got a 128 ram upgrade from ClubMac as part of the G4 promotion, as well as getting the internal Zip drive, and the 17" Apple monitor for $350. Total cost was $2200....was it worth it?

------------------

Chris

Chris

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2000, 04:44 PM

I think part of the reason why you got all the promotions was because of the upcoming expo.

Honestly, I don't think you should've gotten a G4 at that time, even if it is a good deal. You see, the biggest reason I say that is because since last year's announcement at Macworld NY, the G4 line have not changed a bit (well, downgraded then upgraded back again. -1+1=0), which means it's LONG overdue for a Major revision. So either you'll see some sort of speed bumps on the G4 line soon, or people's been hoping for the introduction of the G4e chips, which personally, I don't think will happen, but I could be in for a surprise.

I got my G4/450 last November, w/128 more RAM and Philips 19' monitor, it runs to a total of $3000 w/shipping 'n tax...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

PaddyDuncan
Jul 15, 2000, 10:02 AM

Please don't spend time agonizing over this! No matter WHEN you buy a computer (Mac or PC) you can be guaranteed that if you had waited a few months or so, you could have gotten something faster and cheaper. Thats just the way it works. In 1991 we spent $4200 on a Mac IIsi with 5 MB RAM, a 40MB hard drive, a Laserwriter and a 13" Apple Monitor. Perhaps that will make you feel a little better???

My husband bought a 400MHz Lombard in November - in January out came the 500MHz Pismos for the same price. BUT, he needed the Lombard in November, so there is no use fussing about it. I have a G4 400 AGP - I was going to wait until the rumored dual processor G4's appeared and stay with my G3, but the kids couldn't play their new games on their old 6100 and were therefore trying to use my machine all the time. Bad news - they mess things up on a regular basis and I need my machine for work and volunteer work. So, rather than get them something new, I got my G4 in January. I am happy I did. Although I may drool over the new machines that no doubt will appear in the next few months, I have no regrets. The G4 (apart from some minor issues that I am working on) has been a great machine, and it fits my needs. If your G4 fits your needs, then be happy and enjoy it! If not, there's always eBay!

sblunden
Jul 15, 2000, 11:00 AM

the G4 is a fine purchase the 128MB Ram is a $200 value and you definatly need extra ram. If the G4 you bought does everything you need then it was a Good purchase. The G4 is a good system and you will enjoy it.
- s p e n c e r

JR
Jul 15, 2000, 06:30 PM

Well.... I'll just never buy a computer and wait 4 ever.... cause I want the best (lol). Gimme a break guys, he made a fine purchase. You may have missed out on a better graphics card but I'm not expecting any 1GHz machines from Apple any time soon, and my G4 is quite speedy . (Apple needs 2 dump ATI)

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2000, 03:35 AM

to whomever that said "after a few month, there will be something better 'n cheaper" or whatever...I got my G4/450 last November and still have yet to see the price drop. Granted teh 500 is on the market, but that's nothing spetacular.

Also, the currently market RAM price for 128 Megs of PC100 runs for 'bout $120. (and I got one for $85 when it was really cheap)

I'm not saying it's a bad purchase, just that with the money you had, you would've gotten something better in 2 weeks...

As for Apple dumping ATI, well, that's another debate. I'll just say that at least they are willing to support Macs. Imagine where we'd be w/o ANY graphics cards. 'Nough said.
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Forum Links
Forum Rules