Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > listen to Cd's on a closed Pismo?

listen to Cd's on a closed Pismo?
rgruber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2000, 02:14 PM

Is there a way to listen to CD's on a closed Pismo Powerbook? Strange question but I'm going away and wanted to listen to Cd's on the plane and I'm going to have my Powerbook with me anyway but was wondering if this was possible or if I need to bring a CD player too.

I know Sony touts this as a feature of their Vaios.

finboy
Apr 8, 2000, 10:01 PM

The heat generated by a running Pismo is bad news when closed, so even if you find some way to turn off sleep, I wouldn't recommend using it for that.

Besides, my Sony CD player cost $49 and runs 12 hours on 2 batteries. And it runs cool.

Misha
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2000, 11:56 PM

Only the Wallstreets have an issue with heat when they're closed and running.

Pismos especially run pretty cool... and can run fine closed, even with the screen on (although I'd recommend dimming it).

As for getting it to run closed, check the iBook forum... they're have been a few supposed fixes suggested in there, none of which I recall off the top of my head.

gaffa
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2000, 11:35 AM

As far as I can remember, running a Pismo closed is not a problem. I seem to remember that somewhere in the little booklet that comes with it, there is a discription of how to run a Pismo with an external monitor and a USB keyboard. After putting the Pismo to sleep, and adding the external monitor, the USB keyboard can be used to wake the Pismo up.

Cheers

Gaffa.

sblunden
Apr 10, 2000, 06:55 PM

you can run a pismo closed, however I think you have to have it connected to an external monitor and start it up with an external keyboard. check out: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru...ML/000188.html

------------------
- s p e n c e r
- s p e n c e r

finboy
Apr 11, 2000, 10:58 PM

I guess I'm a little cautious after all the stories about heat when the Lombards came out last year.

So if it's in the official documentation, then run it closed! The funny noise you hear is the fan running.

And from other threads, there's a Nintendo 64 emulator at emulation.net or emulator.net that will keep the ibook away when you close it. There are other programs too, discussed here and at MacDebate and Macfixit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules