Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Classic won't start with fresh 10.1 install

Classic won't start with fresh 10.1 install
vas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2001, 02:58 AM

Deciding to make a fresh start of it all, I wiped my HD, installed 10.0 followed by 10.1, and then installed 9.1 followed by 9.2.1.

Well, the first time I tried to launch the Classic environment in 10.1, I get a dialog box that says

"You are running Classic without superuser(root) privileges. Ensure that TruBlueEnvironment is setuid and owned by root, or reinstall your Mac OS X System Software"

I reinstalled the 10.1 update as it suggests, and I get the same result. The only way I can launch Classic is if I log in as root, or use Snard to open Classic as an administrator using the root password.

How do I fix this? What's setuid and how do I do what the dialog box asks for? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, vas.

sblunden
Oct 1, 2001, 09:32 AM

I have a Classic problem as well.

I had 9.1 and 10.0.4 running fine on different partitions on my powerbook HD
I upgraded to 9.2.1 from the CD that comes with 10.1 then restarted and switched to 10 and installed 10.1. now when I try to launch classic the get and "nimplemented trap" error before any extentions load and even when I select extentions off from the classic prefs.

9.2.1 works fine when i reboot, it just doesn't work as classic under 10.1. I reinstalled 9.2.1 but that didn't help.

any ideas?
- s p e n c e r

Forum Links
Forum Rules