Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Influx of Newbies (not all)

Influx of Newbies (not all)
Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2005, 03:42 PM

We were all there at one point: Our first post on MacNN - what a joy it was. But, is it just me, or has there been an influx of newbies in the last week just waiting to be flamed?

Newbie #1: First post is asking for someone to share VPC with him.

Newbie #2: First post is a PC screenshot in the Mac screenshot thread.

Newbie #3: First post is in the marketplace wanting to trade a mid-range PC for a G4 or G5!!!

There are many more examples but these are the ones I remember most. Don't get me wrong, everyone has the right to be here and I am not railing on all new people - as I said, I was one once too and have made my fair share of annoying posts here (this topic included). It just seems some of the newbies in the past week have been really over-the-top in their blatant disregard for the fact that this is a Mac bulletin board. And they have the nerve to get angry when people try to tell them how it is.

Oh well, carry on - rant over...

Seattle
Jan 27, 2005, 04:03 PM

I agree those are bad first posts. I am sure some of the other newbies are OK. I just looked at my first post (Not too long ago) and it was a reply to someone with a windows network question.

Patrick

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
Newbie #3: First post is in the marketplace wanting to trade a mid-range PC for a G4 or G5!!!
lol this was my first post back in june 2003, but it was more like i was trying to trade it for an ipod. heh i didn't post again until sept 2004.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2005, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:

I found a reason NOT to go to the marketplace.
Waste of time

-t

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 04:56 PM

It could be worse...ever visited the Apple support boards these days? Especially the Mac mini board?

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2005, 04:57 PM

Newbies are to be treated in two ways: with patience or with great force.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 05:16 PM

Apple is increasing it's market share. And with that, there will be a sudden and striking influx of total friggin idiots who now use Macs.

Get used to it.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2005, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by CD Hanks:
Apple is increasing it's market share. And with that, there will be a sudden and striking influx of total friggin idiots who now use Macs.

Get used to it.
PC users are screwing up our average.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

randallina2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2005, 12:28 AM

My first post was a long time ago, though I forgot my original id and re-upped last year or so. I tell you what, most of my tech questions never get a reply, and when I send my students to the site, they often experience a similar non response. Maybe some regulars don't see the bigger picture and act all superior instead of taking the opportunity to be evangelists. Just a thought...

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 12:33 AM

The only real option is death. Plain and simple.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2005, 12:34 AM

Oops, I just accidentally used my 6000th psot attempting to help someone in the Mac OS forum instead of making a thread in the lounge. I am teh lose.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
Oops, I just accidentally used my 6000th psot attempting to help someone in the Mac OS forum instead of making a thread in the lounge. I am teh lose.
Sucks to be you

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2005, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by randallina2001:
My first post was a long time ago, though I forgot my original id and re-upped last year or so. I tell you what, most of my tech questions never get a reply, and when I send my students to the site, they often experience a similar non response. Maybe some regulars don't see the bigger picture and act all superior instead of taking the opportunity to be evangelists. Just a thought...

Maybe you should learn to ask better questions. Your first post with this ID provided no information on your set up or how the machines were networked. As a teacher maybe you should know better than to leave out the pertinent information if you need help.

All of your tech related posts suffer from the same problem and in every case but one you got some responses. That is pretty good considering you don't pay jack for tech support here.

Anyway, benign new users are fine. So long as they really need help and are doing their best to explain the situation I doubt anyone would be too bothered by them. But when they make no effort to help themselves or start making stupid comments then they grate.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 12:48 AM

I noticed a HUGE increase in number of "visitors" listed as online with the forums the week of MWSF this year... It's great to have the interest booming. Might be nice to... be nice. Let's welcome them in. Ya gotta crawl before you can sprint!
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2005, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by CD Hanks:

Get used to it.
The virus and spyware makers are close behind. The only thing that was keeping them off the platform was the high cost of entry, according to the most recent PC Infiltrator poll - 98% to be exact. And with the introduction of the Mac mini, 73.4% of those virus/spyware makers stated that they anticipate entering the Mac realm within the next 6 months.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 01:21 AM

Someone polled "virus/spyware makers" ?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
with the introduction of the Mac mini, 73.4% of those virus/spyware makers stated that they anticipate entering the Mac realm within the next 6 months.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by Love Calm Quiet:
Someone polled "virus/spyware makers" ?
lol, i was thinking the same thing.

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2005, 03:11 AM

teh lose forsh!

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 04:14 AM

I don't post all that often any more, and have been away form the 'NN for a little while. I have noticed a lot of new users, which I guess is good for us in a way.

However, I've also noticed the absence of some veterans. For instance, anyone care to sum up whatever happened to philzilla, maxelson, or daimoni?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2005, 04:27 AM

Newbies are one thing, but when veterans post the same stupid questions, one has to wonder what's in the drinking water.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 04:31 AM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
However, I've also noticed the absence of some veterans. For instance, anyone care to sum up whatever happened to philzilla, maxelson, or daimoni?
They moved on to a place where the water is calm and the floorboards leak slightly.

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
......However, I've also noticed the absence of some veterans. For instance, anyone care to sum up whatever happened to philzilla, maxelson, or daimoni?.....
philzilla's still around. but he's got ideas above his station now he's a published author and calls himself phil sherry these days - and he'll only speak to us if we have an appointment and wear a tie.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2005, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
The only real option is death. Plain and simple.
Since when is death optional ?
So far, no one was able to completely opt out

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2005, 11:26 AM

-t

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2005, 02:50 AM

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by ManOfSteal:
n00b alert on the "westside"...

lol

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2005, 03:38 AM

Originally posted by Mafia:
lol

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2005, 11:20 PM

Speaking of Newbies - or n00b- as I have been called... is there some sort of hidden place to discover all these "rules" that the veterans seem to know but are unwilling to share...

Just seems like everyone is just expected to know all- but how do you know til you make a mistake...?

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 30, 2005, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by KeriVit:
Speaking of Newbies - or n00b- as I have been called... is there some sort of hidden place to discover all these "rules" that the veterans seem to know but are unwilling to share...

Just seems like everyone is just expected to know all- but how do you know til you make a mistake...?
This place is like a needle factory with the lights off and you're wearing magnetic underwear. You could get hurt.

The rules are simple:

1st RULE: You do not talk about FIGHT CLUB.

2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about FIGHT CLUB.

3rd RULE: If someone says "stop" or goes limp, taps out the fight is over.

4th RULE: Only two guys to a fight.

5th RULE: One fight at a time.

6th RULE: No shirts, no shoes.

7th RULE: Fights will go on as long as they have to.

8th RULE: If this is your first night at FIGHT CLUB, you HAVE to fight.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by KeriVit:

What rules are you talking about, specifically? Like most places, you learn by making mistakes and observation.

You won't get banned for having a sig that's too big, and you won't get banned for making redundant threads, and you won't get banned for posting off-topic threads in the wrong parts of the forum (discussing Paris Hilton in eMac, for instance). No, you won't get banned for doing those things. The first time.

Repeat offenders that don't learn the rules as they go along are banned. If you have questions for the mods and admins, there's a feedback forum. And if you don't know where to post something (like if it covers many areas or is not Mac related), just Lounge It�.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2005, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by ManOfSteal:
n00b alert on the "westside"...

Mwahahahaha. Good one.

-t

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2005, 10:58 AM

I loved the thread about how HP bought Apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules