Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 8.01 won't start up and won't force quit...

iTunes 8.01 won't start up and won't force quit...
Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2008, 03:44 PM

Encountered a weird problem today.

I installed the Camera RAW update and restarted my computer. When I went to start iTunes, it bounces twice in the Dock and then nothing. The indicator under iTunes is highlighted but iTunes is "Not Responding". Force Quit doesn't work and iTunes does not show up in Activity Monitor as a running process.

Restarted (only way to get iTunes to quit), trashed iTunes and all iTunes preferences, and removed my iTunes Library file from the iTunes folder. Downloaded iTunes 8.01 from Apple, installed, and tried to start it up. Same thing happens as described above.

Anyone know anything else I can try? Logging into Guest account encounters the same problem with iTunes. Haven't tried making a new user yet. Off to try that now...

Mrjinglesusa  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2008, 06:42 PM

This gets even stranger....

Booting up from my external Firewire drive with a CLEAN 10.5 install and iTunes 7.4.2 install --- iTunes won't load here either.

iTunes also won't load from a new user login on my 10.5.5 install.

Mrjinglesusa  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2008, 11:03 PM

Archive and Install of 10.5 didn't fix the problem either.

Disconnected all external firewire drives and the iPod Shuffle that was connected via USB. iTunes now starts up and everything seems fine. Very strange. Anyone know why either a connected firewire drive or iPod would cause iTunes to fail startup?

Forum Links
Forum Rules