Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to stop SL from download unneeded printer driver

How to stop SL from download unneeded printer driver
hab
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2009, 02:16 AM

I just upgraded from 10.5 to 10.6 and am finding that Snow Leopard wants to update printer drivers for an Epson printer that I got rid of back in Tiger days. Is there a way to delete a file or old driver that seems to trigger this need to update? I only have a Canon printer and 1) do not want to download unneeded drivers and 2) do not want to face the potential of having to update in the future these same drivers. Thanks much.
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2009, 02:18 AM

Does the printer still show in System Preferences - Print & Fax ?

-t

hab  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2009, 05:36 PM

No. I do have an Epson V350 scanner listed. Would that use the "Epson Printer Drivers Update v.2.1" that Software Update wants to install?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2009, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by hab View Post
No. I do have an Epson V350 scanner listed. Would that use the "Epson Printer Drivers Update v.2.1" that Software Update wants to install?
Possibly.

If you don't use that printer/scanner, remove it and see if the OS stops offering updates for it.

-t

hab  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2009, 01:55 AM

Interesting. When I deleted the scanner from Print&Fax and unplugged the USB to the scanner, Software Update stopped offering updates. When I plugged the USB back in, it appeared in Print&Fax and Software Update offered the update again. So, it appears that the presence of the scanner calls for the printer driver update. So, I went ahead and installed it.

Thanks for your troubleshoot hint !!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules