Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Buying a TV tuner: Hauppauge or Pinnacle?

Buying a TV tuner: Hauppauge or Pinnacle?
timmerk
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2008, 08:15 PM

I'm looking to buy a TV tuner locally (I need it fast). Circuit City has these two in stock and both work Elgato's eyeTV software:
  • Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950 Hybrid
  • Pinnacle PCTV HD Stick
Both are the same price. Anyone have any experience with either of the two using eyeTV lite or full version? I'm just trying to record from an analog TV coaxial cable.

Thanks!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2008, 04:43 AM

Not the same model but I have a Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T which works great with EyeTV 3 and Leopard.

coreythemagnificent46
Steven Landon
Marketplace Fame
Jun 23, 2008, 06:12 PM

Go with the Hauppage.. I use that same model in MCE 2005 and it also plays really nicely with MythTV. Good Quality card as well

timmerk  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 06:13 PM

Crap, I just bought the Pinnacle one 10 minutes ago! haha, I'll test it out and if it's not good, I'll exchange it and let everyone know which I liked better.

Thanks again!

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2008, 08:26 PM

I've got the Pinnacle one... it shows up as PCTV 800e in my system profiler. I have been super happy with it so far. It's a very sensitive tuner (the equal of my DishNetwork DVR) and the EyeTV software is great. It's especially nice on 24" of aluminum iMac goodness, but that's another story...

timmerk  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2008, 08:36 PM

I hope I made the right choice (sounds like both are good, I just hope I got the better one). It's a shame that Elgato told me it wouldn't work with the Pinnacle one. Are you sure you have the $70 one and not the Pro one, which is like $90-$100 and comes with a remote? They say that EyeTV works with the Pro one.

liviabush
Baninated
dealstudio spammer
Jun 24, 2008, 09:30 PM

My friend got a Hauppage, I am not sure about the model, seems work well.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2008, 07:43 PM

Mine was over $100, and did come with a remote. It was a Mac-specific model and it came with EyeTV lite.

DocMacPS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 01:35 PM

The included remote with the Pinnacle unit may well be worth the extra $20 or so. On the Hauppauge tuner, it's the Model 1145 that's specifically bundled with EyeTV Lite as well as Windows software. I nabbed mine off of Amazon for $63, then a few days later the price jacked up to $106 range.. then back down to $101... ???

Unless you're dead serious about editing and trimming content to export to iPod or burn to disc, EyeTV LITE is highy usable. Most people buying 3rd-party tuners will be more than happy and won't miss the few extra's in the full version of EyeTV 2 or 3. Unfortunately, ElGato's upgrade, uptrade pricing can make the money saved on a 3rd party unit a wash.

Now I just wish all these Mac compatible TV tuners came bundled with a 120mi range motorized UHF/VHF rooftop antenna - with FREE 24hr installation and same-day setup crew dispatch! Digital over-the-air reception is much more FUSSY than analog, ya know?

Forum Links
Forum Rules