Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > what to do? to buy or not to buy? - advice please

what to do? to buy or not to buy? - advice please
Superfly Sister
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2004, 11:20 AM

I'm looking to buy a brand new 17" Powerbook shortly. The thing is is that I am aware that Mac Expo is coming up and there could be a brand new PB revealed.

As I said I want to buy one shortly (I could buy one today if I wanted). The question is, if a new Powerbook is announced in January, how long will it take for people to order it or buy it in the shops,

I look forward to hearing from you.

SS

cpac
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 11:26 AM

the answer is "nobody outside of Apple knows for sure"

But I'd keep in mind that:

(1) if a new 17" is released, the price on the current model will go down though it would presumably still remain immediately available.

(2) some places may be willing to guarantee the price for 30 days or something like that (or might even allow you to trade in for the new model). But you'll have to ask the salespeople directly.
cpac

sandsl
Senior User
Dec 23, 2004, 05:57 PM

I'm in the same position, except for wanting a 15".

I've decided to wait until Macworld before I purchase, theres nothing worse than spending �1500 to find a new model being released 2 weeks later.

Saying that, even if new powerbooks are released there could well be a manufacturing wait/delay, as there has been with other past apple products.
Luke

UltimaLaw
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2004, 07:08 PM

personally as i have been in your same position many times and have come to just get dissapointed if i wait to buy, seeing as how your so close to macworld though its a tough call. ide probably go ahead and wait it out. . .

uberwrensch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2004, 07:18 PM

Wait it out...to get a Rev A machine?

</Devil's advocate>

Uber

tcphoto
Dec 23, 2004, 07:22 PM

With MacWorld looming, I would wait for a 1.8 to 2 GHZ(?) or potential G5 Powerbook. It can only benefit you to wait. The current models are so old that I feel it's a given that an update is coming January 12th.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2004, 08:20 PM

PLEASE DO A SEARCH--this is BY FAR the most popular message topic here.

If you need a Mac now, buy it now. If you can wait, do it, because there will always be a better Mac.

This site should help you out: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

The Powerbook is next up to be updated, you can count on it being updated in January.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2004, 12:42 AM

i say buy it if you cant wait. it may be another 2-3 months before it ships (maybe even more with something extrodinarily unheard of). of course, i have a nice feeling that they WILL be introduced at macworld, but as with most Apple products, it may be a while until you cana get your hands on one.
iamwhor3hay

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2004, 09:04 AM

I'd wait,
nobody nows for sure but your so close to MW expo that holding off for another month isn't going to kill you.

Here's more food for thought however. If they release a new revision, you may need to wait to get it. Remember the wait for the 2.5 g5? or some of the G5 iMacs.
I'm not saying its going to be a G5, but sometmes it takes a while for a new model to work its way through the pipline. You need to consider that when deciding to get a new machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules