Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Startin' Em Young...

Startin' Em Young...
murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2001, 09:32 PM

Hey, I took this picture of my 9 month old daughter a few minutes ago. She just finished making a playlist in iTunes 2, and now she's rocking to her music and enjoying the visuals...

You should see her write an Apple Script.

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: murbot ]

killgore trout
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2001, 09:35 PM

Great pic and cute kid Murbot.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 8, 2001, 09:49 PM

That could be an Apple ad murbot.

Nice picture. Save that for when you're old.

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: speramint0 ]

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2001, 09:55 PM

*sigh* I wish I had had cool toys like that when I was little. All I had was my dad's 128k Mac, and that wasn't till I was 15 months old.

Cute kid, keep givin' her Macs to play with!

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2001, 09:59 PM

Dude, aren't you afraid she's going to throw up on your Powerbook?
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2001, 12:22 AM

you're using the puck mouse? You definitely need something better for that 'Book. I've used the puck a lot and despise it.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2001, 01:15 AM

Hell yeah! My daughter is -2.5 months (still in mommy) but rest assured she will be on an iBook as SOON as possible...

Gotta get em on the best as early as possible.

Mac Guru

VRL
Senior User
Nov 9, 2001, 07:22 AM

Adorable!
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2001, 07:43 AM

Cute pic and kid, mrubot.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2001, 08:11 AM

&lt;In stewie voice from Family Guy&gt;

Blast this infernal adding machine!!

Hehe, cute kid Murbot.

dav
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2001, 08:33 AM

woah, trippin' to barney.

(great picture)
one post closer to five stars

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Nov 9, 2001, 11:20 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 22, 2004 at 03:54 AM. )

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2001, 11:35 AM

Very cute kid!

Can any of you recommend some good software for young (3-5) kids. I am looking for something more educational than entertaining.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2001, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by murbot:
<STRONG>Hey, I took this picture of my 9 month old daughter a few minutes ago. She just finished making a playlist in iTunes 2, and now she's rocking to her music and enjoying the visuals...

You should see her write an Apple Script.

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: murbot ]</STRONG>
HEY! I got me one of those! 9 months! Girl! When did you get yours? Did you go to the same sale at Target?
Actually, mine is not yet up to AppleScripting, but she absolutely LOVES running fsck. Claps with glee when the machine returns the old "File system has been modified". No passwords, though. I don't need here screwing around with my NetInfo.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2001, 11:51 AM

Mine's ten months old. She goes absolutely nuts with the mouse and keyboard. Amazing how much damage can be done with just a few haphazardously placed key strokes!

Couldn't resist posting this one.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Nov 9, 2001, 12:16 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 22, 2004 at 03:55 AM. )

murbot  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2001, 01:23 PM

Hey DBursey, cute kid! Nice set of teeth she's got there. We're still in the teething stage here, last night was particularly bad. I think out longest stretch of uninterrupted sleep was 20 minutes. Just takes some kids a long time to cut those babies - we have friends with a year old daughter with no teeth, and others who have an 8 month old with 7 teeth!

And yes fulmer, I plan on replacing the mouse. I actually do like the small mouse, but it does make things a little slower because I'm always twisting it into position a little, and it seems to get stuck an awful lot. I'm just trying to decide between an Apple Pro Mouse and something with a few buttons.

And cdhostage I'm not too worried about her spitting up on the PowerBook - that's the wonder of breast fed babies. They rarely barf up at all - I think Amy has done that maybe twice ever. There are other benefits as well - I can't get up in the night to feed (my little nipples just won't cut it), the money we save on formula can go to my Mac addiction, and my wife gets a free boob job! Too bad we only have a couple more months of this....

I haven't really given much thought to educational software yet, she's a bit young, but I'm sure we'll get cracking in the spring. Makes me wonder what computers are going to be like in 5 years, when she's really able to use them. Amazing compared to what I had when I was young. Man, was I born in the wrong generation or what?!

Jamie
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2001, 01:30 PM

Awwww, I want a baby!! I have a godchild on the way, I suppose that's the next best thing.

More "cute baby with Mac" pics please!

Jamie

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2001, 01:35 PM

<STRONG>Hey DBursey,

And cdhostage I'm not too worried about her spitting up on the PowerBook - that's the wonder of breast fed babies. They rarely barf up at all - I think Amy has done that maybe twice ever. There are other benefits as well - I can't get up in the night to feed (my little nipples just won't cut it), the money we save on formula can go to my Mac addiction, and my wife gets a free boob job! Too bad we only have a couple more months of this....

</STRONG>
You're lucky. Mine started cutting teeth at 5 mos. We now have a total of 8 sharp little pearlies. Shaaaarp. Mommy turned off the tap at 6 months after the little weasle decided that what we were eating was more interesting. Good benifit: the milk factory has been returned to it's rightful owner (me) and purpose (never you mind). I don't think I ever heard my wife describe breast feeding as a "boob job". What she did say was that the feeling was confusing. You know, they WERE being used for one thing, NOW they are used for something else, the action is the same (more or less) but the result is very different (one would hope).

murbot  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2001, 01:44 PM

I didn't mean that the feeding was a boob job, I mean that it was like getting a free "boob job". With my wife anyway, it added atleast a cup size to the factory!

Jamie
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2001, 01:48 PM

<STRONG>With my wife anyway, it added atleast a cup size to the factory!</STRONG>
Wow, did they stay like that or shrink after a while?

J

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2001, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by jambo:
<STRONG>

Wow, did they stay like that or shrink after a while?

J </STRONG>
THEY SHRINK. Thaaaat's right, they shrink. So, it's true. My wife added somewhere in the neighborhood of a cup size (a bit more) and who's it for? Well, not for me, I'll tell ya.
Now it seems we're down a pint.
I have heard tell, however, that they return to normal, maybe slightly bigger after the second child.
Any input on that one?

DBursey
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2001, 02:16 PM

It's true about breast-fed babies not spitting up much ... Sara is, and she doesn't.

She's had eight teeth since she was about 8 months old. We discovered the trick to discourage her from nipping on mom's oh-so-sensitive nips. When she bites, mom should 'flick' her on the cheek with her finger to administer a mild sting. Sara caught on quickly, and at 10 months she's still breast feeding (as Dad looks on enviously )

You guys are right on the mark regarding the boob job. A whole cup size!

Daimoni: I'm interested to hear about the Huggies promo thing. Do you have a link by chance?

Also; how long before the body fully acclimatizes to constant sleep-deprivation? Sara co-sleeps with us (very convenient with the breast-feeding) but she still wakes us at least a half dozen times or so on a bad night.

Robert Jung
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2001, 03:02 PM

My almost-two-year-old son can't go through a day without trying to wail away at my iMac. I shudder to think what's going to happen once we buy him some educational software so he has a reason to hijack Dad's computer!

And yes, he does recognize the Apple logo and will say "Apple!" when he sees it.
--R.J.
<a href="http://www.digiserve.com/eescape/shirts/StoreComputers.phtml" target="_blank">'iGenius' T-shirts!</a>

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Nov 9, 2001, 03:07 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 22, 2004 at 03:54 AM. )

PowerBookDude
Nov 9, 2001, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by Robert Jung:
<STRONG>
And yes, he does recognize the Apple logo and will say "Apple!" when he sees it. </STRONG>
Awesome kid!

BTW Murbot and DBursey you both have very cute kids. Congrats.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2001, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by DBursey:
<STRONG>
Also; how long before the body fully acclimatizes to constant sleep-deprivation? Sara co-sleeps with us (very convenient with the breast-feeding) but she still wakes us at least a half dozen times or so on a bad night.</STRONG>
See, now, on this point, my wife and I KNOW how DAMNED lucky we are. Since she was 2 1/2 mos old, Maari was sleeping 7pm to 7am, with exceptions for a cold and first night in the new/old house (last weekend). We fully expect our good luck to slam into reverse for the next one (which is not really even in the planning stages yet- as discussed before, we are actively "trying" to "not try"). We'll have some karma to burn off.
OK, so does anyone else find it really funny to (gently) bounce cheerios off of your child's forehead? If you have not tried it, I recommend it. Of course, the dogs help to clean up the shrapnel.

LeftWingLock
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2001, 05:06 PM

The Jump Start series is great. My three year old loves Jump Start Toddler and is now starting to poke around in Jump Start Pre-School. When we start up the computer he waits and waits until the Happy Mac Face pops up and then he laughs and jumps with joy. He is learning mousing, buttons, links as well as shapes, sounds, and colors. He also finds the songs he wants in iTunes, knows how to plug in the stereo and cranks it up and dances away.

My six year old has used the Toddler, Pre-School, Pre-K, Kindergarden, and now First Grade with great success and we have been very happy with all of them.
Half The People I Know Are Below Average

LeftWingLock
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2001, 05:16 PM

The Jump Start series is great. My three year old loves Jump Start Toddler and is now starting to poke around in Jump Start Pre-School. When we start up the computer he waits and waits until the Happy Mac Face pops up and then he laughs and jumps with joy. He is learning mousing, buttons, links as well as shapes, sounds, and colors. He also finds the songs he wants in iTunes, knows how to plug in the stereo and cranks it up and dances away.

My six year old has used the Toddler, Pre-School, Pre-K, Kindergarden, and now First Grade with great success and we have been very happy with all of them.
Half The People I Know Are Below Average

Forum Links
Forum Rules