Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What about Switchers FROM Mac

What about Switchers FROM Mac
Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2004, 07:54 PM

It's always heartening to see PC Switchers posting messages on Macnn, and I've had the pleasure of "converting" some of my friends with PC's to the Mac World.

But...haven't you always wondered how many Switchers go the other way? I've often wondered how often disgruntled Mac users have switched teams, gone over to the dark side, turned traitor, <insert cliche here>.

I personally don't know anyone who has Switched from the Mac in the direction Apple doesn't want. So I'm wondering, has everyone who has ever used a Mac stayed with the Mac? What does everyone think about this?
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 2, 2004, 07:57 PM

We had a lot of reverse switches in the months before OS 8 and the G3 hit. We had a few more during the G4 clock speed stalls.

But aside from switches during bad times for Apple, I think most people who use a Mac stick with them.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

dampeoples
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 07:57 PM

I'm far too lazy to search, but I'm pretty sure there have been a few posts of this nature to this board. You might try around the time iTools became .mac, lots of people threatening to switch then

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2004, 08:10 PM

I remember hearing about some supposed reverse-switcher articles on Microsoft's website that turned out to be completely fake.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 2, 2004, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
I remember hearing about some supposed reverse-switcher articles on Microsoft's website that turned out to be completely fake.
Yeah, they ended up being from Microsoft employees who were paid to give the testimonials. Which were, of course, fake.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Link
Professional Poster
May 2, 2004, 08:21 PM

The Placid Casual (now a mac user again somewhat), and Crash harddrive come to mind.
Aloha

Zimphire
Baninated
May 2, 2004, 08:23 PM

You know, I have never heard someone switching because they were REALLY disappointed with the Mac.

It's always price. Or games.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 2, 2004, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
You know, I have never heard someone switching because they were REALLY disappointed with the Mac.

Yeah, price is my reason.

I have a Dual 450 and I don't think I'll be able to afford another Mac since I don't have a job yet. Maybe in the future.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 2, 2004, 08:27 PM

I was using a 350mhz G3 tower not that long ago. I know how you feel.

Spliff
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 08:30 PM

I have four friends who switched from Macs to PCs. Reasons given:

1) Price
2) Games
3) Mac MSN Messenger doesn't support audio or video chat (they use internet chat to get laid)
4) No Mac version of XSI, AutoCAD, or Maya Unlimited (we only have Maya Complete)
5) Lousy video cards in the Powermacs considering how much they cost
( Last edited by Spliff; May 2, 2004 at 08:44 PM. )

Kilbey
Baninated
May 2, 2004, 08:35 PM

A friend has switched from Macintosh to Windows.

He owns a sign shop and most of the plotting and high end printing equipment uses serial or parallel ports. When he updated and bought a mirror door G4 he had to buy a usb to serial device. It didn't work very well. And then he discovered his software didn't work under OS X. Most of his problem is he doesn't know computers very well and when he had problems it was hard to find a Macintosh repair person.

in the long run it cost about $4k less for him to buy a new Win XP box and new sign software to run his shop. And he can get quicker tech support. He doesn't have a lot of money to work with.

I am not happy with his decision, but I couldn't always help him when he ran into problems. A lot of it was proprietary sign software problems.

Link
Professional Poster
May 2, 2004, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:
I have four friends who switched from Macs to PCs. Reasons given:

1) Price
2) Games
3) Mac MSN Messenger doesn't support audio or video chat
4) No Mac version of XSI, AutoCAD, or Maya Unlimited (we only have Maya Complete)
5) Lousy video cards in the Powermacs considering how much they cost
1. agreed
2. it's a point, and if you can't afford two machines and games are really important, I can understand
3. That is the dumbest reason ever
4. good reason
5. very good reason.
Aloha

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2004, 08:44 PM

none of my friends who have used any of my macs have wanted to go back to windows, one bought my old ibook, one bought his own powerbook, and one just bought my 12" powerbook.

insha
Senior User
May 2, 2004, 11:00 PM

I switched from windoze so I'm not sure why would anyone want to switch from Mac to windoze?!?

As for the games; with all the new tech being embedded in gaming machine; such as XBox, PS2, and GC, I think it would be cheaper to buy an XBox/PS2/GC (I bought an XBox) if you are using a Mac and would like to play games. But I understand if people switch because of the software that is not available on the Mac, as the scenario posted above.

Although I don't know anyone personally who have switched to windoze. Most of my close friends love my Mac; but more often than not, they sight the "price to high" argument; when I ask them if the next computer they will buy will be a Mac.

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 11:10 PM

I switched to windows/redhat for a while in toto although I am going back to my old g3ibook more and more these days, just feels like home everytime I use that ibook.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2004, 11:10 PM

I work in a shop that sells both Macs and PCs. While the majority of people switching are PC to Mac, I've encountered several people switching to PCs because they were disappointed with product quality ... not the OS but the hardware and warranty support.

caspianccc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2004, 01:19 PM

A couple of years ago someone posted some customer loyalty repurchasing stats. The Macintosh platform had the highest score, by far, at just under 50%. Windows PC OEMs had much lower customer repurchase rates, but unfortunately that wasn't directly helping us since that mainly documented Windows purchasers shifting from one Windows PC seller to another.

I'd like to see the current statistics if anyone has them. If I had to hazard a guess I'd probably go with around 46% so there'd be room for the switchers coming to our platform while accounting for total unit sales staying the same or shrinking slightly.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 3, 2004, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
I work in a shop that sells both Macs and PCs. While the majority of people switching are PC to Mac, I've encountered several people switching to PCs because they were disappointed with product quality ... not the OS but the hardware and warranty support.
If that is the case, they are going to be even more disappointed.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2004, 02:48 PM

No kidding...

10 PRINT "Dell: It's a problem with the OS/Software"
20 SLEEP 2 WEEKS
30 PRINT "Microsoft: It's a problem with the Hardware"
40 SLEEP 2 WEEKS
50 GOTO 10

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2004, 02:52 PM

I realize there is a place for PCs and Macs... I feel many people would benefit greatly from the Mac. Most of the reverse switchers go for very specific reasons (games, price and specific application not available on Mac)

Unfortunately, most people hate computers because they can't get the OS virus free, email working properly, surf the web without popups...

For basic users, I can't get over that they buy PCs.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2004, 03:29 PM

In hardware terms, I would say that Macs are no better than PCs. In fact, the design envelope that Apple often pushes can result in more hardware issues (ie: white spots, logic board failures, reduced part availability)

Sealobo
May 3, 2004, 03:39 PM

I just bought a $749 PC bundle today. I need a PC for home working purposes. However, I will also buy a G5 system plus display from Apple once they get revised... which i expect it to happen in around 2 months.

I hadn't bought a PC for 5 years. So now i am feeling a bit weird.

saab95
Senior User
May 3, 2004, 03:44 PM

Plus, wait until they have to deal with all the viruses and worms.

My wife scans both her Compaq and her Dell on a daily basis and the scan always spends time clearing out lots of viruses.

I'm glad I stuck with Apple.
Hello from the State of Independence

By the way, I defend capitalists, not gangsters ;)

djohnson
Professional Poster
May 3, 2004, 03:50 PM

I have a pc and a mac. When Apple releases the new G5's, I will be buying a new mac. I use a pc at work and get by ok. If you do not check email, go to weird sites, or download illegal programs you will be ok... Well a router helps too. We use both machines the same, though when we get the new G5, it will get used more. Oh and the pc I built was less then $500...

Altix
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 03:56 PM

I'm not one for switching, not in these days anyway. Mac, Windows, Linux, Irix, they're all good at what they do, and I can't see myself completely dumping one OS for another. The trend for me is to maybe spend more time in one environment, than another, depending on what is best suited for the task.

So switching? Nah, variety is what life's about.
"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like tea. Now you put tea into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put tea into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now tea can flow, or it can crash... Be tea my Friend..." -Bruce Lee and Erilaz

fireside
Professional Poster
May 3, 2004, 03:57 PM

In hardware terms, I would say that Macs are no better than PCs. In fact, the design envelope that Apple often pushes can result in more hardware issues (ie: white spots, logic board failures, reduced part availability)
my powerbook has these white spots, and they never really bothered me. they only tend to show up on white or light backgrounds, so when watching a DVD they're not very noticeable.

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 05:44 PM

Phat Bastard--
But...haven't you always wondered how many Switchers go the other way? I've often wondered how often disgruntled Mac users have switched teams, gone over to the dark side, turned traitor, <insert cliche here>.

I personally don't know anyone who has Switched from the Mac in the direction Apple doesn't want. So I'm wondering, has everyone who has ever used a Mac stayed with the Mac? What does everyone think about this?
You rang?

I used Macs since back in the days of the Plus. I've had a ton of Macs, and in fact I still collect a few, mostly the compact models. I've got a nice SE/30, for example.

While I picked up a copy of OS X the day it first became available, I was pretty upset with it. Firstly, in a number of ways the UI -- and I am all about the UI -- was a step backwards. Secondly, it failed to make any really significant jumps forward. Having kept an eye on things for a while, I'd say that Expose is about the only interesting thing on the Mac, and frankly, I don't think that it's of the same scale as the improvements I'd like to see. What I actually want is a computer with a UI that is as far ahead of the Mac at its best as the Mac was ahead of the IBM PCs and Apple IIs that came before it. OS X is just more of the same.

Faced with a platform that was basically not improving all that much, and which has always had difficulties with viability, good hardware, etc., I considered everything else. Unix based systems were a joke of course, and in fact had negatively effected the Mac, so they were out. BeOS was okay, but not really viable, as we've seen, nor a big jump ahead, though it had some nice features. This left me with Windows, and while it's really just as craptastic as OS X is, IMO, the hardware is better and cheaper and the platform isn't going anywhere.

But cost was only really a factor where the platforms are about par. Find me something really superior, and I'll pay through the nose for it, just as I did with the Mac for a very long time.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2004, 06:28 PM

The reason a lot of classic Mac users were unsatisfied with OS X is because they couldn't appreciate anything that wasn't a UI improvement, plain and simple. Witness the large number of them who say that OS X was a step backward, and only mention UI issues (many of which have been resolved). OS X brought Macs into modernity -- without it, Macs would look pretty silly next to Win XP. I got the sense that a lot of people who were on System 7, 8.x, or 9 moved to PCs.

I also wouldn't put Macs over PCs in the hardware category, especially in quality. I've owned Dells and never had any hardware issues, and either way at least they include a much better warranty. What I value about Macs is the operating platform, the community, and the overall experience. The hardware, other than style, is a push. I still use both platforms and probably always will in some form.

Altix
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by itai195:

I also wouldn't put Macs over PCs in the hardware category, especially in quality. I've owned Dells and never had any hardware issues, and either way at least they include a much better warranty. What I value about Macs is the operating platform, the community, and the overall experience. The hardware, other than style, is a push. I still use both platforms and probably always will in some form.

IBM Intellistations are simply amazing machines, build quality that is superb, as well as reliability. Also, for 3D workstations, nothing comes close to BOXX computers, build quality is also astounding.
"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like tea. Now you put tea into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put tea into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now tea can flow, or it can crash... Be tea my Friend..." -Bruce Lee and Erilaz

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 08:28 PM

itai195--
The reason a lot of classic Mac users were unsatisfied with OS X is because they couldn't appreciate anything that wasn't a UI improvement, plain and simple.
Could be. Certainly I find it puzzling why I should spend cash money on a pricey platform with poor hardware for something that isn't an improvement. And staying on OS X pretty much would've required new hardware eventually (and was pokey to begin with on my G3 B&W).

Witness the large number of them who say that OS X was a step backward, and only mention UI issues (many of which have been resolved).
Ah -- this depends on how superficial people are. If your key thing is labels, or popup folders, or so forth, then perhaps you're right to some extent. OTOH, if you don't just want labels, but you want labels that are way, way, better than ever, or you want a really good CLI, or a resolution-independent display, or to make serious use of filesystem and file-specific metadata in organizing your files, or are interested in sucessors to the entire GUI WIMP concept, OS X rather fails to deliver.

Only some rather trivial things have been resolved. Very few really new things have appeared. So some MacOS users liked MacOS and just wanted a more stable MacOS. Others didn't especially like it, they just wanted something really good; for the lack of substantial improvement to the UI from System 7 at least to continue was just too much.

OS X brought Macs into modernity -- without it, Macs would look pretty silly next to Win XP.
In terms of visual appearance? Meh. Maybe. Who the hell gives a rat's ass? User interface is mostly about how the computer behaves. Aesthetics are good, of course, but are really not that difficult, and certainly are only a teeny tiny aspect of the overall UI. I can make a screen mockup that looks fantabulous, but since it won't actually do anything, it's not very useable.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

Link
Professional Poster
May 3, 2004, 08:31 PM

Ok capt, let's take your unreasonable expectations and give OS X a unix based kernel with a crappy GUI that didn't improve AT ALL since it first came out in 1984. Well much, that is.

The best part is you bash OS X's GUI but use windows. If having 1cm square fisher price inspired buttons is your piece of cake, so be it.
Aloha

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 3, 2004, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Ok capt, let's take your unreasonable expectations and give OS X a unix based kernel with a crappy GUI that didn't improve AT ALL since it first came out in 1984. Well much, that is.

The best part is you bash OS X's GUI but use windows. If having 1cm square fisher price inspired buttons is your piece of cake, so be it.
I thought you hated OS X too? Make up your mind.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2004, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by cpt kangarooski:
itai195--Could be. Certainly I find it puzzling why I should spend cash money on a pricey platform with poor hardware for something that isn't an improvement. And staying on OS X pretty much would've required new hardware eventually (and was pokey to begin with on my G3 B&W).
Well my point is that it was a vast improvement in most aspects in which an OS could improve, except for the UI.

Ah -- this depends on how superficial people are. If your key thing is labels, or popup folders, or so forth, then perhaps you're right to some extent. OTOH, if you don't just want labels, but you want labels that are way, way, better than ever, or you want a really good CLI, or a resolution-independent display, or to make serious use of filesystem and file-specific metadata in organizing your files, or are interested in sucessors to the entire GUI WIMP concept, OS X rather fails to deliver.
You have a point here, I can agree that there hasn't been much change in terms of UI elements. But my point is still that there are other important parts of an OS. I'd also like to see some progress made in the UI and human interaction areas -- I get the sense these are not priorities at Apple. But maybe in 10.4 they will be.

In terms of visual appearance? Meh. Maybe. Who the hell gives a rat's ass? User interface is mostly about how the computer behaves. Aesthetics are good, of course, but are really not that difficult, and certainly are only a teeny tiny aspect of the overall UI. I can make a screen mockup that looks fantabulous, but since it won't actually do anything, it's not very useable.
I shouldn't have said 'look.' What I meant is that Mac OS 9 would not fare well head to head against Win XP. OS 9 was a bloated, 15 year old operating system. Its sole saving grace was the UI. Off the top of my head, it was unstable, it could not multi-task, it had poor memory management, it had a (IMO) lousy development environment, and the Chooser was quite possibly the worst program ever written.
( Last edited by itai195; May 3, 2004 at 09:05 PM. )

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 09:46 PM

Link--
your unreasonable expectations
Unreasonable? Work on sucessors to the Macintosh began in what, 1988, with the Pink and Red projects? I suspect that between then and 2001, when OS X came out, there was probably time enough to have come up with some ideas that could've been implemented and would've been a real step forward. Hell, the Macintosh project only took six years to ship, and a sizable part of that involved 1) convincing people that the user interface was actually important, 2) working within the constraints of a budget much tighter than Apple could afford later on, 3) trying to keep Steve from either cancelling it or ruining it.

and give OS X a unix based kernel with a crappy GUI that didn't improve AT ALL since it first came out in 1984. Well much, that is.
I don't want either Unix based anything, or the MacOS UI, as it happens. Both of those things leave me disappointed.

Let me know when I said that I liked Windows. I _barely_ tolerate Windows. Trust me: if there's a user interface I don't hate, it's surely only because I haven't used it and hated it yet.

I expect that, back in its heyday, I hated MacOS least of all. That's still a goodly distance from like, or even love.

itai--
Well my point is that it was a vast improvement in most aspects in which an OS could improve, except for the UI.
Meh. I think there are enough differences that it's not so much of an improvement as a replacement. And at any rate, it's the UI that's what I care about. If the computer has an excellent UI, I don't really care if it has one of those little birds from the Flintstones inside of the box.

I shouldn't have said 'look.' What I meant is that Mac OS 9 would not fare well head to head against Win XP. OS 9 was a bloated, 15 year old operating system. Its sole saving grace was the UI. Off the top of my head, it was unstable, it could not multi-task, it had poor memory management, it had a (IMO) lousy development environment, and the Chooser was quite possibly the worst program ever written.
Oh sure, I agree. Though it could multitask, of course.

And yeah, the Chooser. Heh. Man, everyone really couldn't stand that ever since about System 3. It was just such a PITA to figure out what to replace it with. Desktop Printing made some headway, but not enough. And that Network Browser thing was just a joke; I don't know anyone that used it.

Of course, from what I've seen, OS X's approach isn't _that_ different from the Chooser of yore. Printers still involve poking around in a dialog (unless you've already set them up), and servers are more in the Finder, but still involve picking from lists of zones and servers.
--

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2004, 09:53 PM

As far as desktop hardware goes, I would take a $3000 clone PC over a G5 any day. Laptops are another story. I think Macs laptops compare very well to PC laptops ... with the exception of issues such as the white spots.
( Last edited by Wiskedjak; May 3, 2004 at 09:59 PM. )

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 3, 2004, 09:58 PM

I also wouldn't put Macs over PCs in the hardware category, especially in quality. I've owned Dells and never had any hardware issues...
So you think that your Dell is an equally high quality piece of equipment as an Apple because it hasn't exploded yet?

I don't get that.

I built PCs for years before coming to the Mac, and I *never* had a hardware failure. But that does not mean I would ever say that PC hardware quality, in general, is as good as Apple's. Especially not Dell's.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2004, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
So you think that your Dell is an equally high quality piece of equipment as an Apple because it hasn't exploded yet?

I don't get that.

I built PCs for years before coming to the Mac, and I *never* had a hardware failure. But that does not mean I would ever say that PC hardware quality, in general, is as good as Apple's. Especially not Dell's.
I think that Apple, superficially, seems to have much higher build quality. But after using several Macs and Dells the past few years, I'd have to say that Dell has had the better track record... I had about five problems with my PowerBook G4 in the first year, I've had no problems with a Latitude. When I replaced the first PowerBook G4, the second one had several problems within the first six months. In general I'm lenient when it comes to laptops because they are fragile, but the Latitude's record remains unblemished a year later, and I'm still covered by the included warranty for another two years. I have been satisfied with the Power Macs that I've owned, but again, just a one year warranty makes me cringe a little.

In general I hear about a lot more hardware problems from the Mac owners I know than from the PC owners I know. I'm not suggesting this is anything more than anecdotal, but unless we have verifiable statistics from each company I don't know that anyone of us can say which is better definitively. I concede that Dells certainly look and feel 'cheap.'

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2004, 12:45 AM

In general I hear about a lot more hardware problems from the Mac owners I know than from the PC owners I know. I'm not suggesting this is anything more than anecdotal, but unless we have verifiable statistics from each company I don't know that anyone of us can say which is better definitively. I concede that Dells certainly look and feel 'cheap.'
I think some of that has to do with the culture of Windows and Mac users. I rarely hear of problems with my PC users, but it's most likely due to the fact that they don't "push" their systems. I'm using Photoshop, Illustrator, GoLove/Dreamweaver, Safari, iTunes etc. etc. while installing tons of software, uploading graphics, printing TONS of documents while ftping documents all the time... my system is on 24/7/365, dual monitors, runs Apache and various server scripts, compounded by video editing, scanning, chatting...

While you might say "well, that's how it should be" I don't know a PC user that does nearly as much as I can.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2004, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I think some of that has to do with the culture of Windows and Mac users. I rarely hear of problems with my PC users, but it's most likely due to the fact that they don't "push" their systems. I'm using Photoshop, Illustrator, GoLove/Dreamweaver, Safari, iTunes etc. etc. while installing tons of software, uploading graphics, printing TONS of documents while ftping documents all the time... my system is on 24/7/365, dual monitors, runs Apache and various server scripts, compounded by video editing, scanning, chatting...

While you might say "well, that's how it should be" I don't know a PC user that does nearly as much as I can.
PC users don't push their systems?
www.doom3.com

What's more, Photoshop, Illustrator, GoLive/Dreamweaver and iTunes all run on the PC as well as the Mac. Also, many would argue that they don't run as well on the PC, meaning that they would push the PC harder.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2004, 01:03 AM

I dunno if I'd say that's true in general, there are folks who push their PCs quite hard... though it's been my experience that Windows croaks before any of the hardware does

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2004, 01:08 AM

it's been my experience that Windows croaks before any of the hardware does
Agreed. I put my PC through the same workload that my Mac gets ... but my PC gets rebooted 3x more often.

Link
Professional Poster
May 4, 2004, 01:09 AM

Admit it. The only reason you use windows on your primary machine is you could never give up those spontaneous half life and doom 3 lan parties
Aloha

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2004, 01:17 AM

Admit it. The only reason you use windows on your primary machine is you could never give up those spontaneous half life and doom 3 lan parties
Wrong. The only reason I use Windows on my primary machine is that it's the only machine I have, and I haven't saved up the money to buy a PB yet.

I could care less about Doom 3 and Half Life...

Link
Professional Poster
May 4, 2004, 01:20 AM

Um oisin that's a different story *tosses oison a donut*
Aloha

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2004, 01:24 AM

PC users don't push their systems?
www.doom3.com
Bwahaha.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2004, 01:24 AM

Um oisin that's a different story *tosses oison a donut*
Yum

(Random question: Why is it everybody keeps calling me Oison? Not just you, it's happened with at least 30 different people over the years... just wondering...)

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2004, 03:03 AM

The whole idea of �switching� platforms for some bullcrap �battle of Mac vs. PC� or whatever is so juvenile. If one �switches� for any other reason than valid work concerns and software/hardware needs, based their decision on some silly ad, and is over the age of, oh I dunno, say 23� I�d say it might be advisable to seek professional help.

More and more people I know have moved past silly platform war nonsense to the reality that these things are just tools- use what works Mac or PC, and skip all the evangelizing nonsense for one �side� or the other. Sure the whole platform war thing was fun for a while. Then you grow up and realize no one sane cares. No really, it�s true. No one sane cares. Great you love your Mac. Great you love your PC. How about doing something useful with the damned thing and skip all the evangelizing and the tales of how you �switched� or whatever other nonsense that some company�s marketing dept. dreamed up that you�re now parroting like a retard?

Too much time spent blindly following one platform, touting up every �positive� no matter how insignificant, while maintaining a blissfully blind ignorance of all else in order to be sufficiently dense enough to be hyper-sensitive to every minute perceived �slight� against your beloved platform, so you're ready to spew a string of useless �stats� against your �enemy� platform at every uninvited turn, TENDS to create only one thing for certain: a person who excels at being blindly ignorant of anything going on in the computing world except their own little beloved narrow spectrum of it. I would argue that such types are not exactly the most useful type of computer user.

So �switch� if you need to. Great. Good for ya! Sane people care about as much as they do the fact that you switched from a JVC to a Sony whateverelse. Or that you wear Jockey brand when you used to wear Calvin. IE: They don�t.

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2004, 05:52 PM

Not a switcher but use both rather nicely. Had to do my own color scheme for xp to look like I want it to.

Forum Links
Forum Rules