Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No rev. B Powerbook G4 -- suckers!

No rev. B Powerbook G4 -- suckers!
Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2001, 04:51 PM

Looks like everyone who was so sure the rev. b Titanium would be announced today at MWNY was wrong...FINALLY, the debates about whether it'll be released at MWNY or not can end. Hallejulah!

Anyone interested in buying a Powerbook G4 should go out and buy one NOW, or wait EVEN LONGER until the next MW, when the debates will flare up again, I'm sure.

The moral of the story, kids: if you want/need a new Mac, don't wait for the Macworlds--just go out and buy the thing and enjoy yourself!

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: Phat Bastard ]
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2001, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Phat Bastard:
<STRONG>The moral of the story, kids: if you want/need a new Mac, don't wait for the Macworlds--just go out and buy the thing and enjoy yourself!

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: Phat Bastard ]</STRONG>
Amen. I wouldn't have regretted my Ti 500 if something new came out, and I definitely don't now. I've never been this happy about nothing being introduced

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2001, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Avenir:
<STRONG>
Amen. I wouldn't have regretted my Ti 500 if something new came out, and I definitely don't now. I've never been this happy about nothing being introduced </STRONG>
What even if Steve makes a new keynote tomorrow saying that he forgot to say something because he was so mad about that broken camera?

Just kidding... but did you see how he acted? I love his attitude. He makes sure that everyone understands who is in charge. He threw that camera on the staff and when the guy started to grumble, he says "so... is it done?". The guy got so scared, he said "the battery fell off" and disappeared.

Anyway, now we can bet 100% that Ti revision will be ready by Seybold or Paris.

I love my iBook for now but as OSX gets optimized to Altivec, I may buy the revision in September.

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Jul 18, 2001, 05:30 PM

Looks like everyone who was so sure the rev. b Titanium would be announced today at MWNY was wrong...FINALLY, the debates about whether it'll be released at MWNY or not can end. Hallejulah!
Oh, like I'm really hurt with a comment like that! My Pismo couldn't care less!

Now when are the 700MHz upgrades for Pismos coming?
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2001, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by Dan Szwarc:
<STRONG>

Oh, like I'm really hurt with a comment like that! My Pismo couldn't care less!

Now when are the 700MHz upgrades for Pismos coming? </STRONG>
In two years... may be. This year, we will be lucky to get 700 for Ti. G4 600 will be more probable. Next MWNY, we will have new Powerbook with +700mhz G4. Then you may expect your upgrade

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: Ryu ]

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2001, 06:06 PM

Why wait. Here's my predictions.

Update to TiBook will come at MWSF. Speed bump to 500/600 Mhz. GeForce2Go. Combo Drive CTO option.

Azerty
Jul 18, 2001, 06:28 PM

Well I, for one, am extremely disappointed that there was no revB Ti announced. I bought my Ti (500) in March and was very eager to buy another one if it was announced today.

The whole Stevenote was such an underwhelming experience and quite frankly a total waste of two hours that could have been put to better use. A lot of vapourware that won't see the light of day for another two months! I'll believe it when I see it. Apple spent the last 12 months saying that this MW would be the coming out party for OSX and would be a key defining event for the future of the Mac. Sorry guys. The parties been postponed for a couple of months. We Hope! This is sounding like the type of announcement that regularly comes out of a certain company based in WA.

All it means is that the further contribution I would have made to Apple's bottom line will now go to third parties for my CD/RW etc. And I was going to buy a Powermac but I certainly didn't see any compelling reason to buy one today. I'm certainly not switching to OSX till 10.1 is available rather than promised. With good reason it seems

M�lum
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2001, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by Azerty:
<STRONG>Well...I bought my Ti (500) in March and was very eager to buy another one if it was announced today......

..... And I was going to buy a Powermac but I certainly didn't see any compelling reason to buy one today. </STRONG>
wow, I'm sorry for you. You planned big shopping and then this........

Phat Bastard  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2001, 07:19 PM

Woah, let's stop this thread from getting into an OS X.1 discussion before it gets kicked outta here!

Korv said:
"Why wait. Here's my predictions.
Update to TiBook will come at MWSF. Speed bump to 500/600 Mhz. GeForce2Go. Combo Drive CTO option."

Now, subsitute "MWSF" with "MWNY" and you'll have EXACTLY what everyone was saying previously!!! Guys, enough with the predictions, anticipations and wishes. Just be happy with the computer you have right now and forget about dreaming for the next MW.

Those are my 2 cents..
Black iPod nano 4GB

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2001, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Phat Bastard:
<STRONG>
Now, subsitute "MWSF" with "MWNY" and you'll have EXACTLY what everyone was saying previously!!! Guys, enough with the predictions, anticipations and wishes. Just be happy with the computer you have right now and forget about dreaming for the next MW.

Those are my 2 cents..</STRONG>
You, of course, are right. I bought the iBook recently, and I can tell you with certainty that there isn't a thing on Earth Apple could do to make me regret the descision at this point. I love this thing!

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2001, 08:05 PM

Until the 7440 chip is introduced, you will not see a speed bump on the TiBooks. Why? simple, battery. The 7450 with L3 cache is a whopping 108mm^2 or something along that line, making it more than 2x the transistor count of the 7400/7410 chips, meaning it'll draw &gt;2x power and require more cooling. Since Apple/Moto never succeeded at getting more than 533 out of the 7410, it was never a realistic expectation to have a TiBook upgrade...First speed bump on the TiBook will come when 7440 is ready for prime-time, whenever that'll be...hopefully soon.
Now, Fuel-Cell batteries anyone? that'll make any battery problem disappear! ^_^ (there's still the cooling problem though, unless you don't mind getting a 3rd degree burn from the TiBook...)
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

<mugwump1>
Jul 18, 2001, 08:56 PM

so lemmie get this straight, the lowest end consumer laptop will access my firewire drive with twice the speed of the highest end professional laptop at three times more cost? The lowest end consumer laptop has higher dpi resolution than the $3500 laptop? The lowest end consumer latop has higher mHz in most tasks than the pro version costing a grand more? The lowest end consumer laptop has the same video system as the professional powerbook? No wonder it's selling like hotcakes, and hopefully improving marketshare.

But they didn't see fit to update the Powerbook? Hmmmmmm. I wonder how many they'll sell.

Anyhow, dual processors would solve all chip speed problems. Plus the 7410 processor runs very cool compared to all the rest.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2001, 09:10 PM

I'm sure many PowerBook owners would be willing to take a burn for their little bundles of wire and titanium.

It'll be great the day when we all forget about the power of a computer, and simply concentrate on what sorts of cool stuff we can do with it... for a lot of people, I think that day's power has already come... as long as companies don't bloat their OS too much...

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2001, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by &lt;mugwump1&gt;:
<STRONG>so lemmie get this straight, the lowest end consumer laptop will access my firewire drive with twice the speed of the highest end professional laptop at three times more cost? The lowest end consumer laptop has higher dpi resolution than the $3500 laptop? The lowest end consumer latop has higher mHz in most tasks than the pro version costing a grand more? The lowest end consumer laptop has the same video system as the professional powerbook? No wonder it's selling like hotcakes, and hopefully improving marketshare.

But they didn't see fit to update the Powerbook? Hmmmmmm. I wonder how many they'll sell.

Anyhow, dual processors would solve all chip speed problems. Plus the 7410 processor runs very cool compared to all the rest.</STRONG>

Apple doesn't care! They "know there is always someone" who will pay a premium to be "elite & cool". They always have had a product line for those who want the very best at any price.

I own a Ti 500 & a Pismo 500. One of my employees bought the new Ibook & was bragging about it until we put it side to side with the Pismo. Speed, readabliity & power was overwelming!

Of course the Pismo with the 100Mhz bus zoomed past the Ibook & I could read the text on the screen without reading glasses.

I love the Ibook, it is a great achievement! Price & semi powerful. The Ibook is great for the 1st PB user & it is a great response to the Wintel world. I am glad it helps Apple claim the educational market! Brcause the more Macs, the more great software that will be written, causing more Mac sales, causing cheaper prices, & so on.....

Apple has realized that the personal computer market develops so fast that to sit on new technology & wait for a great show to announce it & it will be old news. They brought out the Ibooks, because they could. If they wait to announce, competition will bury their inovations.

Phat Bastard  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2001, 09:30 PM

Why the Titanium kicks the crap out of the iBook--two words:

real estate.

15.2" screen versus a 12.1" screen. 'nuff said.
Black iPod nano 4GB

Phat Bastard  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2001, 09:32 PM

WTF was up with me being "unregistered" in that last message? Goddamn Peecee and not storing cookies correctly.

Sorry, I had to let that out..

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: Phat Bastard ]
Black iPod nano 4GB

<hahahahahahahahaha>
Jul 18, 2001, 10:40 PM

ahem, might i continue....
hahahahahahahaha there was NOOOOOOOOO Powerbook update today!!! heh-heh-heh Makes it even better to have had mine since February - when the morons were expecting updates by May or July!!!!!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2001, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by &lt;mugwump1&gt;:
<STRONG>Anyhow, dual processors would solve all chip speed problems. </STRONG>
You're not getting a DP PowerMac. Give it up.

P.S. I hope that wink means I just fell for your flamebait/joke, 'cuz it ain't happening.

<tortornation>
Jul 19, 2001, 01:38 AM

Originally posted by Ryu:
<STRONG>

What even if Steve makes a new keynote tomorrow saying that he forgot to say something because he was so mad about that broken camera?

Just kidding... but did you see how he acted? I love his attitude. He makes sure that everyone understands who is in charge. He threw that camera on the staff and when the guy started to grumble, he says "so... is it done?". The guy got so scared, he said "the battery fell off" and disappeared.

Anyway, now we can bet 100% that Ti revision will be ready by Seybold or Paris.

I love my iBook for now but as OSX gets optimized to Altivec, I may buy the revision in September.</STRONG>

What do you mean WE? I ain't bet on nothing so go ahead. And this is Powerbook forum not an iBook. understand? Please LEAVE...

Circa
Senior User
Jul 19, 2001, 01:58 AM

Ok here we go again, its the same stuff every macworld. People if something doesn't get released you guys start laughing making jokes...

Really sad if you ask me, and as far as predictions goes don't make em now its gonna be a while. I say if you want one and you need one buy it. But don't sit there if you have one and start making comments and joking to people that waited. Its their choice and not yours. There are some real low lifes on here.

Case closed.
Circa

<circa is case closed>
Jul 19, 2001, 04:02 AM

Case closed, Circa?!?! ha!!!!!!!

What's wrong you, you sorry crybaby? Can't handle being soooooo wrong and don't want to be reminded of it??? For all's reference, here's Circa's remark on a string he started entitled something like 'only a few more days till Rev. B' :

"More like a How does everyone feel? I am personally very excited, and cannot wait until wednesday. Steve, show us a rev b that will impress us. Oh and steve keep the slot load drive, and titanium colour "

Don't post stupid messages if you can't handle reality.

Yep, boo-hoo for Circa the jerka-offa....

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2001, 04:36 AM

Mr. Unregistered (&lt;circa is case closed&gt; ),

Circa was just being optimistic, like the rest of us, so back off. I wonder how much of that last statement you would have posted if you were a registered user. My guess is, none of it.

acadian
Senior User
Jul 19, 2001, 10:35 AM

Mr. unregistered "circa basher" is in dire need of a child psychiatrist.
people ruin everything....

Phat Bastard  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2001, 11:16 AM

Mr. unregistered needs to get his ass kicked outta here as well..
Black iPod nano 4GB

<�ig�>
Jul 19, 2001, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by funkboy:
<STRONG>It'll be great the day when we all forget about the power of a computer, and simply concentrate on what sorts of cool stuff we can do with it...</STRONG>
Maybe we want to do MORE cool stuff in a given timeframe...

<robots in disguise>
Jul 19, 2001, 02:40 PM

I just read an article in Macworld that was all about apple's habit of prereleasing information about their (future) computers and hightech, and never achieving this in time.

Just buy those machines and sell them when a newer version is released is my motto. I had 7 different macs this year, and 13 last year, just for the sake of having that kickass new one!

btw : i finally own a ti500/512/30 this time.

and i dont believe the rumours about the geforce3 tibook

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2001, 03:14 PM

well, it was worth the wait for those who just waited a month or so before buying a Ti. i've seen too many posters cry to see their computers updated or suddenly sell for a lot cheaper a couple of weeks after they bought them. imho, that is a worse feeling than waiting a few weeks and seeing no revision.

anyway, it's pretty obvious those who were waiting for a Rev. B on this forum had a computer to work on, they obviously could post. and presumably, get their work done on their current machines. what did they really lose? it was still a smart move.

hoopla2000
Jul 19, 2001, 06:03 PM

I wonder what makes(made) some people out there so sure that Apple will come out with a slot loading combo drive at MWNY or anytime soon.

They've never made slot loadin combo for any machines,which all have lot more room to accomodate than a 1inch Powerbook.

Theres totally no excuse for not puttin a combo on a Ti book when an iBook has one. But i wonder how they can achieve that anytime soon.

I belive not only ibooks and desktop but at least a most expensive imac should deserve to come with a dvd / cd rw combo with that kind of price tag.

I wouldn't mind for a ti book to have a dish drive as long as it has both dvd/cd rw, if Apple can't make it slot loaded. Apple seems a bit too proud to admit their incapability sometimes,which seems to delay their products upgrade... Am I wrong?

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2001, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by &lt;tortornation&gt;:
<STRONG>

What do you mean WE? I ain't bet on nothing so go ahead. And this is Powerbook forum not an iBook. understand? Please LEAVE...</STRONG>
I am not trying to be harsh but you're not even registered. Please leave.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2001, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by Evangellydonut:
<STRONG>Until the 7440 chip is introduced, you will not see a speed bump on the TiBooks.</STRONG>
The 7410 should make it to 600. I'm guessing a TiBook line-up with 500 on the low end and 600 on the high end should come before the end of the year, perhaps September. Combo drive? I doubt it - can't do it that small and slot-loaded. I think there will be a choice of CD-RW or DVD.

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2001, 04:12 AM

Originally posted by BRussell:
<STRONG>The 7410 should make it to 600. I'm guessing a TiBook line-up with 500 on the low end and 600 on the high end should come before the end of the year, perhaps September. </STRONG>
you are probably right, but given that Apple didn't even impliment a 600Mhz desktop, its not Too likely to do so on the laptop...yeah, they had some time since the 533 G4s to do further cooling/whatnot if necessary, but I would be more surprised to see a 600Mhz 7410 TiBook than a 600Mhz 7440 TiBook...my $.02
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

bhaggs
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2001, 11:08 AM

Ya I am a little disappointed that the revision didn't come out but I'll still wait. As of right now I am happy with my G3/350 and that will hold me over for awhile. I can't imagine Apple not releasing an update by September, especially with the cdrw promo ending in september.

Plus I won't settle for an iBook but I also won't settle for the current TiBook at that price compared to an iBook. Soo what can I do but wait, not in dire need of the TiBook now but we'll see what happens in September.

Bryan Haggerty
Keep it real, keep it happy, keep it hardcore!

k2man
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2001, 01:51 AM

I was bummed to see no revision, but I'm still glad I'm waiting.
I've got a fully stocked G3 Pismo now, and while I'd love to have a G4 for video work, I wouldn't want to take a loss selling an original Ti to get what I really want: faster processor, modern graphics processor, and combo drive.

Patience is a virtue...

Forum Links
Forum Rules