Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > What colour iPhone 3G will you be getting?

View Poll Results: What model/colour iPhone 3G will you get?
Poll Options:
8 GB black, cuz I'm a cheap bast... err... that's all I need. 5 votes (16.67%)
16 GB black, cuz once you go black, you never go back. 11 votes (36.67%)
16 GB white, cuz then everyone will know I have the top end model (or not). 11 votes (36.67%)
I'm waiting for another colour, because I'm hopelessly optimistic. 1 votes (3.33%)
Who cares anyway? I don't discriminate on the basis of colo(u)r. 2 votes (6.67%)
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll
What colour iPhone 3G will you be getting?
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2008, 11:02 AM

I'm going to get a white 16 GB iPhone. It will nicely match my MacBook and iMac. Plus it doesn't get all noticeably fingerprinty as quickly as the glossy black. However, supply might be an issue. My local shop is getting all of ONE 16 GB white iPhone (and 2 black ones).

I guess I might have to just order it over the phone.

Which model are you going to get?

To be quite honest, I'd much prefer a different colour, but I doubt they'll release one any time soon.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2008, 11:04 AM

wait a couple of weeks, supply should catch up once the craziness dies down.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2008, 11:18 AM

Defiitely black, don't know about 8 or 16GB yet, I'll probably stump up for 16GB. I think the white phones are 'for the ladies'.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

NateB
Jul 8, 2008, 11:24 AM

I'm getting the 8 Gb black version. I would like to get the 16 Gb white, but I just can't afford it.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2008, 11:43 AM

BTW, I find it interesting that for the MacBook, the black is the "premium" model, but for the iPhone, the white is a "premium" model.

The difference here though is that the black MacBook costs more for the exact same hardware, but the white costs the same as the same sized black.

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Defiitely black, don't know about 8 or 16GB yet, I'll probably stump up for 16GB. I think the white phones are 'for the ladies'.
Nah. That would be pink.

P.S. I have a pink iPod nano.

NateB
Jul 8, 2008, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
BTW, I find it interesting that for the MacBook, the black is the "premium" model, but for the iPhone, the white is a "premium" model.

The difference here though is that the black MacBook costs more for the exact same hardware, but the white costs the same as the same sized black.
Yeah, I wish that the standard model for the iPhone was white . I want my MacBook and iPhone to match!

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2008, 11:57 AM

I'm going to get a white 16 GB iPhone. It will nicely match my MacBook and iMac. Plus it doesn't get all noticeably fingerprinty as quickly as the glossy black.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2008, 12:29 PM

Where's the "I'm not getting an iPhone 3G" choice?

QS

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by QSilver View Post
Where's the "I'm not getting an iPhone 3G" choice?

QS
Here.

Clearly, this poll is for people who ARE getting an iPhone 3G.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2008, 02:34 PM

I think I'm going to get a white one. It really depends on how they look in person though.

Black makes me depressed for some reason, so I usually avoid it when I can. Plus after seeing that picture, I'm not too keen on the greasy look.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2008, 11:44 PM

Heh. Only 1 vote out of 16 so far for the 8 Gigger.

Personally I would expect the 8 GB to be the best seller, but then again my understanding was that the 4 Gigger didn't sell as well last year as some originally thought it might.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 01:04 AM

I voted white and the widely circulated picture above is why. I hope the plastic holds up to everyday use for at least a couple of years. In any case, I think the white will be more resilient and less likely to show scratches and smudges. The sleek black is beautiful out of the box or freshly polished, but there's a reason white is the most popular color for vehicles.

I wish there was a 32GB or 64GB version. With video, 16GB will fill up fast.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 04:15 AM

Makes perfect sense.

The iBook was all white. The "high-end" MB got the new color. That was black.
The iPhone was black. The high-end model gets the new color option. In this case it's white.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 04:22 AM

I'm still not completely sold but if I do get one it will be the 16 GB black. In principle I need 32 GB, but maybe I'll just cave in.

The white one looks like it's made for hello kitty stickers. I know how to wash my hands so the black is no problem.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 06:28 AM

White iPhone, white box .

Link

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl View Post
I voted white and the widely circulated picture above is why. I hope the plastic holds up to everyday use for at least a couple of years.
When has Apple ever made a plastic product that held up to everyday use for even a couple of weeks? iBooks, iPods and MacBooks all got scratched immediately if they weren't treated like princesses.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 12:03 PM

Nonsense. I have a white 5G iPod. After a year it still looked great. iBooks looked fine if you washed your hands. The only real issue here is stained and/or cracked white MBs.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
When has Apple ever made a plastic product that held up to everyday use for even a couple of weeks? iBooks, iPods and MacBooks all got scratched immediately if they weren't treated like princesses.
Couldn't agree more... But somebody here jumped all up in my sh!t a month or so ago when one of my initial impressions of the iP3G expressed concern over the plastic back. Whatevs! In my book, it's a legitimate concern.

FWIW, I'm gonna get a holster-style case this time and use my iPhone naked. I never did find a cover I liked for the original. The Eco-Case scratched the hell out of the bezel. The iSkin Revo bulged and gathered lint. Other cases trapped dust. Besides, it's a shame to cover such an elegant little device with an ugly third party cover.

I've said it before, I'd sacrifice a little beauty for some real durability. Gimme an iPhone made from that nasty black plastic Nextel uses on the phones they sell to cops and construction workers. You can bounce those off a concrete sidewalk and there's not even a mark on 'em.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

macrocks
Jul 9, 2008, 12:40 PM

hey i want to get the white iphone but i think it looks more for women or is it just me.will it look better in person

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by macrocks View Post
hey i want to get the white iphone but i think it looks more for women or is it just me.
Its not just you.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Nonsense. I have a white 5G iPod. After a year it still looked great. iBooks looked fine if you washed your hands. The only real issue here is stained and/or cracked white MBs.
My iPod 3G and 4G both got totally scratched up. As did the iBook that went to school with me. My MacBook is slightly scratched, but it doesn't travel much. MacBook stains are another issue altogether.

Apple designs for shelf appeal, not maintaining that shelf appeal post-purchase.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 01:20 PM

White color all the way. Glossy black does not equal sleek to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules