Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Vote for Rob's Design! Please!

Vote for Rob's Design! Please!
GreenerGadgetsEntry
Baninated
Feb 20, 2009, 12:27 AM

Hey everybody. I thought I'd turn to my "favorite" forum for a bit of support. I entered the greener gadgets competition, and I made semi-finals. It's an international competition that called for designers to come up with a product that hopefully hits on all points: Sustainable materials, existing product research, user needs, flat shipping, reducing energy, and end of product life cycle disposal or recycling. Here's what I came up with:

You do not get to be banned and still have your content up. -CW

Please take a few seconds to vote for it, no registration is required:

[snip. -CW]

Thanks again everyone!

- Rob

PS: My senior project just got sponsored by Volvo! SHIBBY!
( Last edited by Cold Warrior; Feb 20, 2009 at 12:57 PM. )

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2009, 12:49 AM

Impressive. +1 for you there.

GreenerGadgetsEntry  (op)
Baninated
Feb 20, 2009, 12:53 AM

Thank you! Appreciate it very much! Vote again from the workplace tomorrow if you can!

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2009, 04:53 AM

How to get banned:

1. Join a tech forum and spam your crap all over the off-topic subforum.
2. ???
3. PROFIT

Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2009, 05:17 AM

shif, you must be new here.

Good design Rob. You have my vote!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

dav
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2009, 08:25 AM

voted
one post closer to five stars

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2009, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
How to get banned:

2. ???
3. PROFIT

Rob has been a member* here for quite a while. They used to let him in here on the promise that he'd behave. He then would have a meltdown when someone extolled the virtues of a SUV or some other topic that he felt strongly about

Lately they seem to drop the hammer on him ASAP since he banning is supposed to be permanent.

*member with a ton of nics because he keeps getting banned
~Mike

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2009, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
How to get banned:

2. ???
3. PROFIT

Ouch, shif, before putting your foot in your mouth, search the forums for "Rob" or "Ca$h".

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2009, 10:18 AM

Rob, great stuff.

Votinated.

-t

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2009, 10:22 AM

Pretty cool design.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2009, 10:30 AM

I voted. For this one.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2009, 10:52 AM

A lot of these projects looked like crap Ikea sells (yes, that means cashs clothes rack)
Some stood out though:

I thought the Environmental Traffic Light would be pointless and an eyesore.
Unless your average person on the street knows what acceptable CO2 level are or even cares about the humidity or air pressure in that one spot I don't think they'd want to see these spread all over a city. Plus if anyone really wants to know these things they can look it up on their computer or cell phone these days.

I thought Recompute was just plain stupid until that Harddrive device beat it by a large margin.

Blight was interesting also but I would want to see the figures on what sort of power it can harness and they'd have to make it so it fed into a central line so you could sell the electricity back to the power company. The built in lamp is fugly. I don't know many people who would want lighting above their windows.

Bware is actually a neat device if you have a smart house. The neon green casing would have to go though given the amount of money people invest in making their bathrooms aesthetically pleasing.

I would buy a Vampire plug or two. It is practical and its not obtrusive. A lot of these other things while innovative wouldn't sell or be integrated into the lives of most consumers so why bother making them. It was the one product I thought would be worth bringing to market. Sure there are plenty of timers being sold but the marketing on this one would appeal to the masses.
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Feb 20, 2009 at 11:00 AM. )

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2009, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I voted. For this one.
Yeah, after looking at all the submissions, I voted for this one as well. It seems likely to have the most long-term impact on the environment by changing people's water usage.

I really liked the concept* of the SmartSwitch but the implementation of such a concept would have its own massive environmental costs in terms of extra materials needing to be produced for the new type of switch as well as the waste from disposing of all the old non-SmartSwitch electrical switches.

*similar to the water monitoring device above, the SmartSwitch gives the user of a resource an immediate indicator of how much of that resource is being used.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by GreenerGadgetsEntry View Post
Hey everybody. I thought I'd turn to my "favorite" forum for a bit of support. I entered the greener gadgets competition, and I made semi-finals. It's an international competition that called for designers to come up with a product that hopefully hits on all points: Sustainable materials, existing product research, user needs, flat shipping, reducing energy, and end of product life cycle disposal or recycling. Here's what I came up with:

[snip. -CW]

Please take a few seconds to vote for it, no registration is required:

[snip. -CW]

Thanks again everyone!

- Rob

PS: My senior project just got sponsored by Volvo! SHIBBY!
Nice idea and nice aesthetics to your implementation, but as someone posted in the comments on your page, you would need dozens of these placed around a house to successfully dry a load or two of laundry. And then that makes this project very inefficient.

Plus what was your reasoning behind using the silhouette of some women drying see-through lace underwear? Is that who your target user is? some lingerie-clad woman who wears 3- or 4-inch heels around the house?
( Last edited by Cold Warrior; Feb 20, 2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: redacted Rob's spam links)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2009, 12:02 PM

Lulz. I know who Rob/Ca$h is. It doesn't make spamming any less obnoxious, particularly coming from someone who (a) treats other members like total crap (I looked at other threads he created or posted in before he got banned yet again) and (b) still tries to circumvent permabans after all this time.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2009, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Nice idea and nice aesthetics to your implementation, but as someone posted in the comments on your page, you would need dozens of these placed around a house to successfully dry a load or two of laundry. And then that makes this project very inefficient.

Plus what was your reasoning behind using the silhouette of some women drying see-through lace underwear? Is that who your target user is? some lingerie-clad woman who wears 3- or 4-inch heels around the house?
I think it's mainly for drying "delicates."

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2009, 12:19 PM

Very un-imaginative ideas. Except for the water usage gauge mentioned above.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2009, 12:29 PM

voted
~Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules