Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Syncing 2 mac laptops and 1 iphone

Syncing 2 mac laptops and 1 iphone
threestain
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2009, 05:46 AM

Hi all,

I've just got a new 13" MBP (which is awesome of course) to replace and supplement my TiBook and iPhone.

Now I have performed a full migration so that the MBP is fully up to date. I have a few questions which hopefully you guys can help me with!

However, I would like to keep both in sync - mail.apps, iPhoto, iTunes etc. Is there a way to do this simply and effectively?

Can I use the same hard-drive to Time Machine back-up both? Or does it need separate partitions?

Finally is it best to keep the iPhone synced with one or other, or can you do both?

Thank you!

threestain  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2009, 07:28 AM

PS:

Leopard on TiBook and Snow leopard on MBP

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2009, 09:22 AM

You should use IMAP-e-mail accounts. All devices accessing such an account are automatically "in sync".

There is no easy way to keep iPhoto and iTunes in sync. You need to do this manually.

You can use the same hard drive for Time Machine backups, but you cannot have only one backup. There will be two separate backups - one for each computer - on the drive. It's not necessary to partition to do this.

You should sync your mobile devices with one computer only.

threestain  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2009, 10:06 AM

cool, thanks.

I use Gmail IMAP, unfortunately doctors.net.uk does not offer imap.

I was planning to use Chronosync to keep my iapps and documents in sync - and having spoken to them it shouldn't be a problem that I'm on differing systems - has anyone had any experience with it?

Finally, I thought it might be the case that the iphone should be synced with only one, but wanted to check.

Forum Links
Forum Rules