Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Contemplating return of my Iphone 4...

Contemplating return of my Iphone 4...
ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2010, 12:47 PM

I am what most here, and anywhere would refer to as an Apple Fanboy. Ever since I bought my first ibook years ago, nothing in my house would not be apple...I waited until the iphone 4 to get an iphone because I was worried about service...well, the iphone 4, imo, has the best reception of any ATT phone I've ever used, but now, I have to worry about data usage as ATT decided to be the first company to kill that. (I am at 1 gig usage, 8 days into the month, and have streamed nothing...) I also find myself wondering, what if I have a problem after Sept. 30th with my phone that has "no problem"...will Apple stand behind it as a problem is not officially acknowledged? Does anyone else look at their data on a daily basis and not use apps they want to as a result of this data change?

Maybe my current concerns are unfounded/warranted, which is why I'm asking here...who's totally happy with their iPhone 4, and planning on keeping it?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by ero2 View Post
(I am at 1 gig usage, 8 days into the month, and have streamed nothing...)
What apps are you using? I don't think I've ever exceeded a GB in the entire time I've owned an iphone. (that includes when I was tethering it to my ipad)

-Q-
Jul 20, 2010, 01:08 PM

I have broken 1 GB only once, when I was tethering and traveling heavily for work. I'm surprised to hear you've used that much data without streaming.

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2010, 01:16 PM

A couple weird things I noticed...

1) I have multiple "messages" in my text message breakdown that are 80+ megs????? How is that even possible?

an example... 07/07 11:10 PM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 81719KB

2) NO tethering, I watched 1 you tube video while I was on vacation...

3)I downloaded almost every app I wanted to itunes in preparation for getting my phone, so, very limited apps downloaded OTA.

4)I have my mobile me email and my gmail email setup on it

5)I did download 2 "background apps" and looked through many images, but, I'd imagine a majority of them are stored in the program, and not redownloaded every time you go into the ap?

I LOVE the device, it syncs beautifully OTA, and with my comp. I don't have to get additional software for it, and it, JUST works, something I've come to accept isn't possible after all the Palm/Windows Mobile devices I've had to use over the years. Those were just a few concerns Ive been having...is there now a need to go in and "kill all apps" like a droid device to reduce data usage?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2010, 02:21 PM

1GB after 8 days would normally indicate major power user levels of activity.

Is it 3G 24/7, or does it have some wifi to glom on to?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2010, 02:21 PM

I am totally happy with my iphone 4. Well as happy as I've been with any other apple product, it still isn't perfect. I've had the phone for 5 days or so and used 220mb of data in that time. That is about how much data I used in a month on my old iphone for the last 4 months when I have had spotty reception. Before that I averaged 450-500mb over edge.

Maybe I'm just happy because I kept the unlimited data.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2010, 03:21 PM

More important question than my previous one...

Are you going off what's the phone is telling you, or what it says in your account on the AT&T website?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post

Are you going off what's the phone is telling you, or what it says in your account on the AT&T website?
Right now I'm going off the lifetime data meter on the phone itself because the ATT app won't show me data usage until my next billing cycle. I haven't checked the ATT website.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2010, 05:37 PM

I meant the OP.

But the idea to post info is definitely useful. What my phone says and what the AT&T site says right now are vastly different for me, even though the new phone and my new billing cycle are within a day of each other. I'll check it over the next few days to see if it evens out.

Cold Warrior
Jul 20, 2010, 05:41 PM

iPhone 4 is the best smartphone I've ever owned. Screen is magnificent and I cannot stand to view text or web on other smartphones, even my now-old 3GS.

ero you should double-check your usage to ensure you're looking at Cellular Data. If you downloaded maps or gps mapping applications (or their updates) over 3G, they may have came with large map stores to prevent fetching over the air. Otherwise if that kind of usage is real, you should have been getting much reduced battery life in the first days of the billing cycle (when you said all the usage occurred).

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post

I am going off of what the ATT site shows...

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
iPhone 4 is the best smartphone I've ever owned. Screen is magnificent and I cannot stand to view text or web on other smartphones, even my now-old 3GS.

ero you should double-check your usage to ensure you're looking at Cellular Data. If you downloaded maps or gps mapping applications (or their updates) over 3G, they may have came with large map stores to prevent fetching over the air. Otherwise if that kind of usage is real, you should have been getting much reduced battery life in the first days of the billing cycle (when you said all the usage occurred).
Battery life has been fantastic, 2 days + no problem. I did not start to use wifi until last week, and it does seem the majority of my usage has stemmed from the first week to 2 weeks I had the device (New Toy syndrome?) I now have it set to hook up to my home's wifi when I walk in, and I have slowed to about 100mb of usage over the week and a half, but these 80mb messages have me concerned...are pic/video messages this large? If you "power users" barely ever hit 1 gig, I would think I should be fine with 2gb...any other thoughts? Or things I could post from my account page that would prove beneficial to figure this out?

Cold Warrior
Jul 20, 2010, 06:05 PM

You could turn off MMS from the iPhone's settings. MMS allows for heavier content SMS, I'm not sure how large.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2010, 08:06 PM

You can have my iPhone 4 when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2010, 08:37 PM

You could turn off MMS from the iPhone's settings. MMS allows for heavier content SMS, I'm not sure how large.
1000 characters (at least on AT&T featurephones).

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2010, 08:57 PM

Dumb question but wouldn't turning that off prohibit picture/video messaging? MMS and all?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2010, 09:21 PM

Yes, it would prohibit that.

Cold Warrior
Jul 20, 2010, 10:04 PM

I suggested it because you said you had an 80 MB text. Only MMS could do that (if even that). If people are sending you their HD video footage pushed directly to your phone, or maps apps are downloading their huge updates over 3G, then your options are very limited for reducing data usage, e.g., turn off MMS or even turn off cellular data. Personally I'd prefer to pay another $10/GB if I can't take convenient steps to offload usage to wifi.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
You can have my iPhone 4 when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.
Don't grip it too hard with your cold dead hands, you'll lose bars LOL

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
Don't grip it too hard with your cold dead hands, you'll lose bars LOL

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2010, 10:53 AM

I was also considering returning my iPhone 4 but for a different reason. Ever since Apple released the 4.0.1 update that corrected the signal bars, I realize just how spotty AT&T's reception is in NYC. In a major city it shouldn't be like this, but it is.

If I hadn't been grandfathered into the unlimited plan and had your usage levels, I'd return the iPhone. Currently, the other carriers still offer unlimited data plans and the competing Android smartphones have been greatly improved. They perform some tasks better than the iPhone. You can always just get one of those and carry an iPod touch that you've tethered.

Once Sprint and Verizon launch their 4G networks in my area it's going to be hard for me to justify keeping my own iPhone 4. I'm certain AT&T will lag behind the other carriers for years.

Forum Links
Forum Rules